Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic


Recommended Posts

Good news, my box has arrived! Some stuff suffered shipping damage but the majority of the box is in good shape! Annoyed that 2 of my 3 cucumbers are split in half but they are firm and I have to cut them up to eat them so, oh well. They included an ice pack and that was still a bit frozen. Pictures tomorrow. Good night.  🙂

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, curls said:

The contents of the box... the panettone,  persimmons, and chips were all marketplace extras.

991769835_IMG_6479-202011DecemberMisfitsMarket.jpg.344b387fc3615c759dd8c2d68d35778a.jpg

Panettone!!!  WOW.  I'm jealous.  They didn't offer that to me today.  Very interested to know how it is :)  Glad your box was good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We got an email yesterday that someone that works for my CSA got Covid so there will be no farm share this week.  Emergency vegetable order placed with the grocery store to fill the gap.  Hopefully I will get at least a few of the things i ordered.  There is a big snowstorm coming and people around here tend to do a run on the groceries when that is happening. 

  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

@liamsaunt, I actually went to my local grocery store around noon today and there were plenty of vegetables and fruit. Judging by the carts I saw, people don't equate "snowstorm" with "vegetable"😄

  • Haha 8

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Twice the writer says that a "slit" of an ingredient was added. Clearly LA-speak of some sort. Translation?

 

Not LA speak or Spanglish. I think the writer was direct translating in his head roughly julienned pieces of the chile as opposed to chopped up. 

 

ETA: like thin strips

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, heidih said:

 

Not LA speak or Spanglish. I think the writer was direct translating in his head roughly julienned pieces of the chile as opposed to chopped up. 

 

ETA: like thin strips

Its really the opposite of a slit, then🙄.

Don't they have editors over there?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Its really the opposite of a slit, then🙄.

Don't they have editors over there?

Bit of upheaval over there... Or as is often the case I could be totally wrong ;)

Edited by heidih (log)
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, heidih said:

Bit of upheaval over there... Or as is often the case I could be totally wrong ;)

No...I think your description of what the writer meant by "slit" is accurate. Just not a good word choice on his part. ¬¬ 

I took it to mean something that had been julienned and just a small piece was wrapped inside the tamale. Would make sense if it was a pepper...not overwhelmingly spicy but enough to impart flavor.

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to post
Share on other sites

The other day, I went over to Roan Mills in Fillmore.  As usual, I asked a few friends if I could pick up anything for them.  One asked for a vegetarian quiche and a vegetarian pot pie, among other things.  They didn't happen to have veg versions of either so with her permission, I substituted a potato tart.  The guy at the counter told me it was good and only $15 instead of $25 for the quiche.  "TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS???" I said (to myself) , "I can easily make her a quiche!  When I dropped the stuff off, I asked her to pick a day for quiche.  She was ever so grateful and picked today.  Here's the bake, slightly overbaked, but OK:

IMG_3397.thumb.jpeg.a2c749a514bfea7f51164950fed4b46a.jpeg

Spinach, mushroom & onion on the left, broccoli, red bell pepper and onion on the right.  I also included a bag of the caramelized onion and cheese pull-apart rolls I'd made from Vivian Howard's recent book. 

 

She's got a stressful job, she's working at home along with her husband and 2 kids and said needing to prepare lunches and dinner everyday was pushing her over the edge so she was delighted.  Hope the kids will eat them!

After the holidays, I'll set up a schedule to prep lunch for them once a week or so.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Misfit box just now.  Really impressed with the freshness.  Herbs look really good.

 

Red Grape Tomatoes

Valencia Oranges

Bunched Broccoli

Green Bell Peppers

Napa Cabbage

Lemons

Anaheim Peppers

Red D'anjou Pears

Red Onions

Curly Leaf Parsley

Red Butterhead Lettuce

Yukon Potatoes

Cilantro

English Seedless Cucumber

 

Then I added on : sprouts, shelf stable milk and the bok choy

 

IMG_0259.jpg.a03e0abf849355452a2496e9e9a9fa56.jpg

 

IMG_0260.jpg.f5afc211fe58c6f27568d59d83c63bb1.jpg

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The other day, I went over to Roan Mills in Fillmore.  As usual, I asked a few friends if I could pick up anything for them.  One asked for a vegetarian quiche and a vegetarian pot pie, among other things.  They didn't happen to have veg versions of either so with her permission, I substituted a potato tart.  The guy at the counter told me it was good and only $15 instead of $25 for the quiche.  "TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS???" I said (to myself) , "I can easily make her a quiche!  When I dropped the stuff off, I asked her to pick a day for quiche.  She was ever so grateful and picked today.  Here's the bake, slightly overbaked, but OK:

IMG_3397.thumb.jpeg.a2c749a514bfea7f51164950fed4b46a.jpeg

Spinach, mushroom & onion on the left, broccoli, red bell pepper and onion on the right.  I also included a bag of the caramelized onion and cheese pull-apart rolls I'd made from Vivian Howard's recent book. 

 

She's got a stressful job, she's working at home along with her husband and 2 kids and said needing to prepare lunches and dinner everyday was pushing her over the edge so she was delighted.  Hope the kids will eat them!

After the holidays, I'll set up a schedule to prep lunch for them once a week or so.  

Bless you, my dear!  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been feeling so isolated, I'm sure it did me more good to feel useful than anything else!

They do say giving can be even more satisfying than receiving.  Sharing your cooking skills and resultant dishes is pretty cool :)

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

You may remember that for two or three years, I baked muffins every Sunday morning for my small Sunday school class. We've not had Sunday school since March.  It occurred to me it would be a good thing to bake a batch of muffins for each of the families who are represented in my class (there are only three) and deliver them to them on Christmas Eve. So I think I'll do that.

  • Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lifelong friends husband had a stroke in March, then two other diseases were discovered both of which cause clotting.  Many complications have ensued.  I’ve been making dinner or baking for them about once a week. They could afford to have food delivered but my friend said it’s so comforting when friends cook for them.  My friend and I started cooking together from the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls when we were about 8 yrs old.  It certainly does feel good to do this.

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...