• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday, on the way back from my haircut, I stopped by the fancy food shop and picked up a few necessities:

😂  I think you need to be a bona fide member of eG to label these as necessities. Love it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Seaweed butter is also calling me and I am not a butter fiend. On the Red Bat saly - is it the concentrated intensity that separates it from just using the sauce in a prep? I twitch when there is no fish sauce in pantry - which I got horridly close to. Local Kroger had been out for a while and I was close to online ordering. Showed up yesterday.

• Like 2

@Shelby 

Id say no

but p pandemic

yes w reservations.

reg salt ?  one or two drops o RB40 ?

Im not raining on any ones parade

remember parades ?

See ?

Id go with a second interesting mustard 

which you might make your sefl

but 

why ?  the Jar is Small

the Flavor large 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

On the Red Bat saly - is it the concentrated intensity that separates it from just using the sauce in a prep?

I bought it because I wanted to try incorporating it into a finishing seasoning or other applications where you wouldn't necessarily want to add a liquid. 

• Like 3

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I bought it because I wanted to try incorporating it into a finishing seasoning or other applications where you wouldn't necessarily want to add a liquid. 

I wonder if you can dehydrate the sauce and get the salt. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I do apologize 

Im pleased you have RB40

salt.

you were there 

in the Market

and it Spoke to You!

nice

remember this

th Internet does not Speak. to you nor me.

see it in a store ? snap it up

get it on line :

Nada,

• Like 5

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Seaweed butter is also calling me and I am not a butter fiend. On the Red Bat saly - is it the concentrated intensity that separates it from just using the sauce in a prep? I twitch when there is no fish sauce in pantry - which I got horridly close to. Local Kroger had been out for a while and I was close to online ordering. Showed up yesterday.

Wish you were here.   I'd off a pound of Bordier algue butter, bought in a moment of exuberance.    We used it with seafood but also on grilled meats, like lamb chops.     We do enjoy adding seaweed to bread (esp. 18 hour) to serve with big fish soups.    But back to seaweed butter, you can well make your own buy blending fresh or re-hydrated seaweed into butter of your choice.   

• Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:37 AM, liamsaunt said:

Did you get an email on Wednesday with the contents of the box?  This is the first week we did not get one. The box was a mystery on arrival haha!  I am glad I got turnips and not daikon.  I have a glut of daikons and carrots in the house right now.

I hope you like the CSA.  We have been very pleased with it.  In addition to the normal share, my husband added flex shares for tomatoes, corn and fruit, and sunflowers for this summer.  

We did — looks like just after 9am. Might want to give them a heads up.

We do a "market style" CSA elsewhere in the summer as I really like being able to pick what we want in a given week — but I have really liked having an option in the off season as well. 

26 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Wild Fork meats looks like good stuff at a fair price. Maybe even too good a price.

Any experience with them?

https://wildforkfoods.com/collections/shop-all

The prices do look decent.  Not available in my area, but I hope to hear from others that have tried it.

24 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Once I move and start cooking again - maybe a month from now? I'll try it.  If it works out well, I'm going to need a bigger freezer....

I hear you; there's no such thing as too much freezer space.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2021 at 12:21 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Yesterday, on the way back from my haircut, I stopped by the fancy food shop and picked up a few necessities:

IMG_3667.thumb.jpeg.ec8bfdea04d675d924581e527e35abfb.jpeg

Since I was famished, I immediately opened the seaweed butter to put on some crusty bread. 

Now this is my kind of CSA!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Here is this week's box.  Pretty similar to last week.  Honey, apples, mesculin mix, ciabatta, red cabbage, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, popcorn, turnips, daikon radish.  I am taking my glut of apples from the past few boxes and making applesauce this afternoon.  I also have a glut of carrots--6 pounds, to be exact.  I am still thinking about what to do with those.  My Mom is taking the next two boxes as I am going away for Easter week, so no more updates for a couple of weeks.

IMG_8135.thumb.jpg.5ca6dccd93265c406b62c58aab3059d5.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I also have a glut of carrots--6 pounds, to be exact.  

I'm partial to oven-roasted carrots with Olive Oil, Cumin and Garlic, salt & pepper. Use the same temp and time as Roasted Cauliflower (click)

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Picked up the Kroger donation for the soup kitchen today. I believe I may be seeing the beginning of a sea change in Southern eating habits, or a major miscalculation on the part of the Kroger deli manager on the demand for chicken.

Usually the donation has from 4-8 whole cooked chickens, usually rotissiere. (and will SOMEONE please give me a correct spelling) for that? Today, there were more than 30. Usually probably a dozen plastic boxes of fried or baked chicken; today, there were 40-plus.

Could Arkansas, the home of Tyson Foods, be losing its appetite for chicken???

Donation also included a dozen or more decorated cakes and boxes of cupcakes; probably eight to 10 pound cakes/bundt cakes, and 20 or more boxes of cookies (all bakery items), along with the bread and rolls and a half-dozen pies. 

And a good 50 pounds of pre-sliced deli lunch meat and cheese.

I did not go to the meat market section, as the church freezers were still full from last week.

Our clientele will eat well tomorrow and this weekend. Kroger is making a difference in the community.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Picked up the Kroger donation for the soup kitchen today. I believe I may be seeing the beginning of a sea change in Southern eating habits, or a major miscalculation on the part of the Kroger deli manager on the demand for chicken.

Usually the donation has from 4-8 whole cooked chickens, usually rotissiere. (and will SOMEONE please give me a correct spelling) for that? Today, there were more than 30. Usually probably a dozen plastic boxes of fried or baked chicken; today, there were 40-plus.

Could Arkansas, the home of Tyson Foods, be losing its appetite for chicken???

Donation also included a dozen or more decorated cakes and boxes of cupcakes; probably eight to 10 pound cakes/bundt cakes, and 20 or more boxes of cookies (all bakery items), along with the bread and rolls and a half-dozen pies. 

And a good 50 pounds of pre-sliced deli lunch meat and cheese.

I did not go to the meat market section, as the church freezers were still full from last week.

Our clientele will eat well tomorrow and this weekend. Kroger is making a difference in the community.

Wow.  That's a LOT of chicken AND bakery items.  

Maybe people are making more chicken at home and not buying the rotiss?  Same for the baked goods?

I do know that Ronnie is chomping at the bit for me to go to the medium size grocery (the one we get his scripts from) because chicken quarters are 49 cents a pound which is an awesome price.  Maybe just a huge glut of chickens now?  We still can't find wings anywhere, though.....

• Like 3

Im very pleased that your local Kroger

has found a fine place 

to donate what they can

so many store have not looked into this

and thus are not able to help their communities.

• Like 3

A cancelled order, perhaps?

Who knows...but I'm sure all that food will be deeply appreciated.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning