• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

I am prone to just drive around when I'm in a new town, looking and seeing what's where. I seem to have an invariable instinct for winding up in the 'hood. 

On the other hand, I find some good barbecue and soul food that way.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I received a much bigger heritage pork butt than I thought I would. And it had at least a pound of fat on it. 

So...

IMG_3674.jpeg.f762bac00d28ebf50b5bb98ebe0bbc41.jpeg\

The fat got melted down. The beginning of a process which in total took about 4 hours, I guess. Now, 2 nice jars of clean, white pork fat in the fridge!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I received a much bigger heritage pork butt than I thought I would. And it had at least a pound of fat on it. 

So...

IMG_3674.jpeg.f762bac00d28ebf50b5bb98ebe0bbc41.jpeg\

The fat got melted down. The beginning of a process which in total took about 4 hours, I guess. Now, 2 nice jars of clean, white pork fat in the fridge!

Is there a cracklins shot? 

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

Is there a cracklins shot? 

If you have cracklins, I highly recommend cracklin cornbread. With butter and molasses.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

31 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@weinoo, how long can you keep those jars of pork fat in the fridge? I.e. will you make it into smaller packets and freeze them?

I've had jars of pork fat in my fridge for YEARS seriously.  They are in mason jars.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I've had jars of pork fat in my fridge for YEARS seriously.  They are in mason jars.  

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Same here.  I might be a pork fat hoarder.  

Just what I wanted to know!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Chicken and duck fat are good keepers as well, just FYI. Can't answer for the "years" part, mind you. And I have had some home-rendered lard go rancid on me, but that was in a little bar fridge and I certainly can't vouch for its temperature. I mainly use it now to store pickles, jams and selected condiments once they've been opened.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I can't even tell you...maybe 4 years????

I've kept duck fat that long without problems. Pork fat I tend to render then use immediately, so no, or just short-term, storage involved.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I think I've had some duck fat go off and me - you know as soon as you smell it. But using scrupulously clean spoons to scoop it out, and not contaminating it (often, there is some schmutz left in renderings, so you gotta strain it carefully) stuff lasts a long time. Like I run out before it goes bad.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

personally

I prefer linguine over spaghetti 

in all applications .   sometimes even thin linguine.

the edge on the L is far more interesting than the non-edge

on the S 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2021 at 11:24 AM, weinoo said:

I think I've had some duck fat go off and me - you know as soon as you smell it. But using scrupulously clean spoons to scoop it out, and not contaminating it (often, there is some schmutz left in renderings, so you gotta strain it carefully) stuff lasts a long time. Like I run out before it goes bad.

I have had  jars of bacon fat in the fridge for about 15 years. I add new stuff on top as needed.  Never goes bad.

Interestingly, the schmutz settles to the bottom (ever so slowly) in the congealed fat. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Well, who uses linguine for carbonara? Idiot.

I think that was the point - to doubly piss off Italy - break in half and use ling instead of spag : )

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

personally

I prefer linguine over spaghetti 

in all applications .   sometimes even thin linguine.

the edge on the L is far more interesting than the non-edge

on the S 

That’s why they make chitarra. 

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Is that fattening

If you're really worried about it, there are certain times that you can eat it without guilt. I was always told that on the 5th Sunday of the month, fattening food has no calories. Only comes around about twice a year but I make sure to chow down on those days.

• Haha 3