• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

Here's the Basque Cheesecake - baked 450º F in the Blumlein on convection setting for about 35 min.

IMG_2925.thumb.JPG.9098e1409f985d1e4e052598014b9f71.JPG

IMG_2929.thumb.JPG.c933cf0dbd77e1ab9a0db566ee76fe40.JPG

IMG_2928.thumb.JPG.624e95d09d49269c1d450a1c8c9a1899.JPG

IMG_2931.thumb.JPG.1b3346ef9b207926d9f9768e942073d3.JPG

IMG_2930.thumb.JPG.705906ef8a25f75ca5a97d34e5a70d7d.JPG

This is the recipe I used - 7" pan with 1 1/2 recipe.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 6

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

This is the recipe I used - 7" pan with 1 1/2 recipe

And I can attest that it is a lovely cheesecake. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Has anyone in the NYC area tried asian-veggies.com?  The prices are on the expensive side (compared to what I can get at my local H-Mart) but if I didn't live within walking distance of one with a decent selection, I'd consider them...  I'm curious as to the quality/freshness of their produce.

I had been craving some comfort food and decided on corned beef hash but using smoked meat brisket instead of corned beef.  Took a trip to Costco the other day for the brisket which is made by Schwart'z, the Montreal emporium of smoked meat.  The picture is for @rotuts.20210203_162630.thumb.jpg.caa9993fde260fadd2702eb7f1da1aea.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@ElsieD 

Wow !

congratulations.

I might e able to ' manage ' a few more pics.

ie : not arrest !

Im hopeful that its close to the stuff @ that ' deli '

are you going to ' steam ' it to warm it up ?

congratulations , again.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 6:12 AM, haresfur said:

I used to have monthly layovers at Urumqi airport in Xinjiang province, China. I always bought some bagged red-cooked Bactrian camel meat. Originally, to freak out my colleagues and friends, but soon because it was actually quite tasty ...

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

Wow !

congratulations.

I might e able to ' manage ' a few more pics.

ie : not arrest !

Im hopeful that its close to the stuff @ that ' deli '

are you going to ' steam ' it to warm it up ?

congratulations , again.

For sandwiches I'll steam the meat but for hash it just gets chopped and heated through with everything else.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, Toliver said:

Didn't see this one coming...xD

"2021 just got worse: Now there's a Grape-Nuts shortage"

All of you Grape-Nut fans, rejoice...

"Grape-Nuts will be back on shelves in March"

The Grape-Nuts shortage that ground an already on-edge nation to a halt has been resolved.

Grape-Nuts will start shipping at normal levels by mid-March, its parent company Post Consumer Brands said Thursday, putting an end to a weeks-long shortage sparked by supply chain constraints and higher demand.

"We promised our loyal fans that we would work hard to get Grape-Nuts back on store shelves as quickly as possible, and we are now committing to an earlier-than-anticipated return date," said Kristin DeRock, Grape-Nuts' brand manager, who added that the company has ramped up production of the cereal.

The Pessimist in me says this was all a publicity stunt to get more people interested in the cereal.

I can't imagine any sort of "higher demand" for Grape-Nuts, of all things.

Unless Grape-Nuts are 2021's version of the yeast deficit from 2020. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

For the last week or two I've seen a school bus, that didn't seem to be a school bus, parked near my apartment.  Today I learned it is a food bank distributing things like milk to the residents.  I said I was OK.

I forgot to ask if they had limes.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Fridays are a great day because we get our vegetable delivery, shown in the basket to be washed and processed. The next pic speaks for itself and then there is the wheat bread and another with assorted seeds like flax. We cut in half, freeze, and eat throughout the week. 

1CDA0CEC-4B80-43BD-BCEE-7AA8D8AB4F41.JPG.e0a56bb4d98ce547a387e19868c100d6.JPGIMG_1387.jpg.8930960265140c47e6abc06cedeb151d.jpgIMG_1455.jpg.d70f4abef56924843c58a300fa90ca55.jpg

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 10:05 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Here's the Basque Cheesecake

IMG_2930.thumb.JPG.705906ef8a25f75ca5a97d34e5a70d7d.JPG

Glorious!    Cheesecake is my all time favorite breakfast food.    At cheese chops in France, I always look for the cheesecake which they sell by the (generous) slice.   Room service coffee and cheesecake = a perfect start to the day.

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

I was grocery shopping at my local Walmart grocery store this past Saturday. 

I didn't blink an eye that the Easter candy was already out and sitting next to the Valentine's Day candy.

However, they had cases of Corned Beef briskets for sale (notice I didn't say they were "on sale"...no sale prices to be found on the Walmart briskets).

I was shocked that they're selling them now given it's more than a month until St. Patrick's Day. :o

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

3 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I was grocery shopping at my local Walmart grocery store this past Saturday. 

I didn't blink an eye that the Easter candy was already out and sitting next to the Valentine's Day candy.

However, they had cases of Corned Beef briskets for sale (notice I didn't say they were "on sale"...no sale prices to be found on the Walmart briskets).

I was shocked that they're selling them now given it's more than a month until St. Patrick's Day. :o

I'm craving corned beef.  We have a venison roast that we could do....but I'm just a lazy ass now...I hope to get over it.

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm craving corned beef.  We have a venison roast that we could do....but I'm just a lazy ass now...I hope to get over it.

If you have the carrots, cabbage and potatoes (and the pickling spices for the roast), you're good to go.

As I've posted before on eGullet, I do mine in a slow cooker and it couldn't be easier.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 6:36 PM, Toliver said:

If you have the carrots, cabbage and potatoes (and the pickling spices for the roast), you're good to go.

As I've posted before on eGullet, I do mine in a slow cooker and it couldn't be easier.

We thawed out a roast and have it corning as we speak so it will be ready by St. Pat's Day :)

Wow.  So, it's almost been a year since @haresfurstarted this topic (March 9th to be exact).  I just read through the whole thing again and I'm reflecting.  I tell you what, EG and this thread kept me (and is keeping me) from losing my mind.  Seeing everyone's food deliveries....  @weinoo keeps me well entertained.... @liamsauntand the wonderful CSO boxes.... @Franciand her fresh fish....just EVERYONE posting..I've enjoyed every single person.  @kayb and @dtremit for introducing Misfits and Imperfect food deliveries.  A wave of sadness seeing @suzilightning's posts.  F#&#!*& covid.  Right before Easter last year I said that hopefully things would be all back to normal by this time next year.  HA boy was that wishful thinking.  @rotutshas really been the king of hunkering down and getting quite creative with canned goods ordered from Target.  All of the grocery shopping tips that we are sharing when one must get out.  The commiserating about idiots that can't or won't wear their masks properly.  The shortages that are STILL going on (Grape Nuts!)  There were also things that made me laugh so hard.... The great plantain debate (won by Ronnie)...me, totally thinking I was turning 45, when in fact, I was 46 ..... @JoNorvelleWalker's never ending search for limes...and her monster peanut butter...  Just to name a few.   Anyway, just wanted to thank every single person who posts here.  We're not out of the woods yet but at least we have EG and each other!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

@Shelby  

yes 

this is the real deal place.

so many delicious plates !

every day !

After I get Vaxx'd x 2 

I won't forget .  maybe some Computerglassses ?

maybe other things to do first.

a friend of mine , 

keeper of Penny and now Leo :

has called me several times 

seeing if I might need anything 

I don't

he was on his way to Chinatown BOS

which I guess based on his conversation

has change quite a bit I used to work

right across the street  and knew it well

several large chinese grocery stores are no longer

it seems

he had the day off

he's on the very veyr front line

and has been vcxx'd x 2 

very much apporpriatly 

he ask id I needed any thing form Chinatown

I said no  

he was getting this and that

\I I mentioned

don't forget to look at the meat counter 

and get some PorkBelly w skin 

I hope he did.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

It's funny you mention that @rotuts....

So, I wasn't going to tell this story, but it does spice up my post a little bit lol.  Wednesday we needed to make a liquor store run and we decided to also go to the Asian Market.  I hadn't been since July 31 and I have quite a long list of things I need (well, want).  Apparently in all of the many years that we've been going there, we've never been on a Wednesday.  Sigh.  Pulled into the lot.  Closed on Wednesdays. 🙄  So, I got on google.  Surely in the big city there is at least one more Asian type market that has the wonderful meats and produce that this one does.  There were three others listed.....all in pretty sketchy parts of the city.  We picked one that Ronnie said "was on the edge" of the bad part of town.  Pulled in.  Tiny parking lot.  Huge tow truck taking up most of it.  Kinda weird.  I went in.  Tiny place.  They had tanks of fresh crab and lobster (19$ a piece).  Produce section not near as good, but I grabbed some basil and mint and some cabbage.  Prices were a couple dollars higher on most things, but since I was there I got some chicken feet and pork belly.  I needed to restock on chicken broth and I feel empty if I don't have pork belly in the freezer lol.  Anyway, I hurried because I just wasn't comfortable there.  I kept an eagle eye on our car and the parking lot.  I'm in line to check out when I see like 10-15 people...mostly male ..with no shirts on (it was like 45 F) grouped right in front of the door.  No masks.  A lot of yelling.  Not good.  Look to the right, there is a large man with no mask on speaking to the owner of the store and he says "I ain't towing that car until the police come.  It's full of bullet holes and blood." 😳<--- my eyes must have looked this big because the owner noticed and nudged the driver away to where I couldn't hear.   I grabbed my stuff, shoved my way through the crowd...and yep, the car door was open..full of blood and bullet holes.  I never got out of a parking lot so fast in my life lol.  News didn't say a peep about it so I have no idea what happened.

Lesson:  Do not go to the Asian Market on Wednesdays.

Upside:

I used my gigantic IP and made a huge batch of gelatinous broth.  Feet make the best broth.

First pot:

Someone @weinooor @rotutsor maybe both gave me the tip to save the green parts of leeks for soups.  So I had some in the freezer.  Good tip!

thumbnail_IMG_0591.jpg.2d851c7b6d0bfcd9fec9b858ef25f076.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0592.jpg.fa110032588d45c38344f06d4c443d6c.jpg

The cooked feet we will put out for the outside cats tonight.

Next pot is cooling as we speak (wish I had some of @rotutssnow to put it in).

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

This is the time of year when the CSA box basically looks the same every week (apples, onions, turnips, squash, carrots, bread, dried beans) so I stopped posting them.  I already put away this week's box, but I will post next week's.  Who knows?  Maybe I will actually get something different!

• Like 4

Just now, liamsaunt said:

This is the time of year when the CSA box basically looks the same every week (apples, onions, turnips, squash, carrots, bread, dried beans) so I stopped posting them.  I already put away this week's box, but I will post next week's.  Who knows?  Maybe I will actually get something different!

I like seeing them even if they are similar.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It's funny you mention that @rotuts....

So, I wasn't going to tell this story, but it does spice up my post a little bit lol.  Wednesday we needed to make a liquor store run and we decided to also go to the Asian Market.  I hadn't been since July 31 and I have quite a long list of things I need (well, want).  Apparently in all of the many years that we've been going there, we've never been on a Wednesday.  Sigh.  Pulled into the lot.  Closed on Wednesdays. 🙄  So, I got on google.  Surely in the big city there is at least one more Asian type market that has the wonderful meats and produce that this one does.  There were three others listed.....all in pretty sketchy parts of the city.  We picked one that Ronnie said "was on the edge" of the bad part of town.  Pulled in.  Tiny parking lot.  Huge tow truck taking up most of it.  Kinda weird.  I went in.  Tiny place.  They had tanks of fresh crab and lobster (19$ a piece).  Produce section not near as good, but I grabbed some basil and mint and some cabbage.  Prices were a couple dollars higher on most things, but since I was there I got some chicken feet and pork belly.  I needed to restock on chicken broth and I feel empty if I don't have pork belly in the freezer lol.  Anyway, I hurried because I just wasn't comfortable there.  I kept an eagle eye on our car and the parking lot.  I'm in line to check out when I see like 10-15 people...mostly male ..with no shirts on (it was like 45 F) grouped right in front of the door.  No masks.  A lot of yelling.  Not good.  Look to the right, there is a large man with no mask on speaking to the owner of the store and he says "I ain't towing that car until the police come.  It's full of bullet holes and blood." 😳<--- my eyes must have looked this big because the owner noticed and nudged the driver away to where I couldn't hear.   I grabbed my stuff, shoved my way through the crowd...and yep, the car door was open..full of blood and bullet holes.  I never got out of a parking lot so fast in my life lol.  News didn't say a peep about it so I have no idea what happened.

Lesson:  Do not go to the Asian Market on Wednesdays.

Upside:

I used my gigantic IP and made a huge batch of gelatinous broth.  Feet make the best broth.

First pot:

Someone @weinooor @rotutsor maybe both gave me the tip to save the green parts of leeks for soups.  So I had some in the freezer.  Good tip!

thumbnail_IMG_0591.jpg.2d851c7b6d0bfcd9fec9b858ef25f076.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0592.jpg.fa110032588d45c38344f06d4c443d6c.jpg

The cooked feet we will put out for the outside cats tonight.

Next pot is cooling as we speak (wish I had some of @rotutssnow to put it in).

Good Googa Mooga, girl!  Your story reminds me of a trip from IN to VA that we made probably 30+ years ago.  We lived in IN and were coming home to VA for a visit.  We stopped in Wheeling WV for dinner at a Wendy's (to keep this food oriented).  This is, of course, in the days prior to the internet, cell phones, or even GPS and we basically depended on road side signs for places to eat.  We found the Wendy's in a downtown area - an island of light and busy in a sea of dark, closed businesses.  Jessica was little and antsy with all the sitting and being cooped up, so after eating, we wandered down the block a bit to stretch our legs.  We started noticing a line of these little holes about head level in the plate glass windows we were passing (keep in mind that we both grew up in the suburbs).  Suddenly, Mr. Kim swoops down and picks up Jessica and says, "let's go" and begins to speed walk back to the car.  We both realized at the same time that those were bullet holes, likely from drive-by shootings.  I'm sure the kids at Wendy's thought we were complete idiots taking an evening stroll.  🙄😄

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

pretty sketchy parts of the city

That reminds me of the time when we had first moved to Costa Rica. My husband asked me to go into San Jose and find him a piece of sheet metal because my Spanish was better than his and I was better at finding things. So I took the bus in and was directed from place to place until I found someone that could make it. I had finally wound up in a really sketchy part of town. Correction, bad part of town. When it was time to pick it up, I told my husband where he could go to pick it up and he informed me that he wouldn't take me with him because that part of town was too bad for me to ever go to. Duh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Good Googa Mooga, girl!  Your story reminds me of a trip from IN to VA that we made probably 30+ years ago.  We lived in IN and were coming home to VA for a visit.  We stopped in Wheeling WV for dinner at a Wendy's (to keep this food oriented).  This is, of course, in the days prior to the internet, cell phones, or even GPS and we basically depended on road side signs for places to eat.  We found the Wendy's in a downtown area - an island of light and busy in a sea of dark, closed businesses.  Jessica was little and antsy with all the sitting and being cooped up, so after eating, we wandered down the block a bit to stretch our legs.  We started noticing a line of these little holes about head level in the plate glass windows we were passing (keep in mind that we both grew up in the suburbs).  Suddenly, Mr. Kim swoops down and picks up Jessica and says, "let's go" and begins to speed walk back to the car.  We both realized at the same time that those were bullet holes, likely from drive-by shootings.  I'm sure the kids at Wendy's thought we were complete idiots taking an evening stroll.  🙄😄

Wow!😬

• Like 1