• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

Wow !

I envy you the prawns and the trout.

prawns look plump and the trout slab looks like it

came from close to the head.   closer to the head is tastier.

The prawns, as mentioned before, are great. I made a fumet with the shells and gently poached the prawns in that. 

And yes, that slab was cut from a whole side, the closest to the head. Even better - the spigarello is cleaned! 

They've done a wonderful job pivoting to this market; I didn't buy any yesterday, but their prepared foods are excellent as well. And they have a very nice selection of pantry stuff from Spain, Portugal, Italy, and a few other fun places.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I went to our local (hideous) supermarket, Acme, yesterday because I didn't feel like driving far to get Schweppe's Diet Tonic.

They actually had a big sign at the door reminding us that there's a big storm coming and we should stock-up. Schmucks.  I so hate that chain...outdated produce...lousy meats...high prices..they run holiday sales on critical holiday stuff like heavy cream, run out and fail to restock. 

Their only good thing is Ivin's Spiced Wafers (in season)

They had no Schweppe's.

But, the pandemic has trained the locals not to overshop for a piddling two day storm. All the staples were plentiful. So there's that.

• Like 7

Just now, gfweb said:

I never venture down the cereal aisle.

Me neither!  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, heidih said:

I can't hear or see Grape Nuts without thinking of Euell Gibbons. Spokesperson thing aside he was a great writer about wild foods. 

Yeah I have few of his books. Good stuff

For what it's worth the GN shortage isn't limited to retail; we make a GN custard in the summer for one of our accounts and I buy it by the case.  I checked (because I'm putting together an order for next week, and sure enough -it's not available to order.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow.  I'm not generally a cereal eater but once or twice a year, I buy a box of Grape-Nuts.  Knowing they may be unavailable is making me REALLY want some!

You can still get 'em on Amazon for about $13 a box 🙃

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

nothing wrong w GN

very very crunchy

when just openrd

and they will give you extra boots and allure 

of 

Fine Nutrition 

extra nice w pan sautéed , until crispy

American Breakfast  sausage 

Jones maybe ?

even better w british Bangers 

but that's not going to happen in my area 

for several lifetimes 

too bad 

ground cardboard  ( ie Rusk   Risk . ? )

would go well w GNs

both have similar origins 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

About the only covid-related food thing for me is wearing a mask in the grocery and my continued avoidance of most indoor dining, even though it is allowed with reduced seating capacity.

But the new outbreak management style of short lockdowns to get ahead of contact tracing is a good reminder to keep enough staples on hand, anyway.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

We love cold cereal.  But as a bedtime snack or yogurt topping, not breakfast.  We have a cereal shelf worthy of Jerry Seinfeld.  I grew up on "healthy stuff": Chex, Special K, Shredded Wheat - the big kind that looked like Brillo(☹️) .  I can't imagine why she bought only those things - this same woman kept a basket of mini candy bars on top of the refrigerator and I was allowed to have as much as I wanted.  Of course, as soon as I was buying my own, I found Frosted Flakes, Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms, etc.  I now love Chex and Grape Nuts, but I still buy the sweet cereal like a toddler with a credit card.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Oh, I forgot. There is apparently a kangaroo meat shortage and the cat is pissed! He will eat beef in a pinch and the dogs will eat anything. Their food mostly comes in by contactless delivery.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, haresfur said:

Oh, I forgot. There is apparently a kangaroo meat shortage and the cat is pissed! He will eat beef in a pinch and the dogs will eat anything. Their food mostly comes in by contactless delivery.

Wow, I thought you were joking but I guess not.  Are they in such abundance/farmed?

image.png.a1fc1f77c59ce6a339347ec1702babf9.png

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

17 hours ago, haresfur said:

Is there actually a shortage of kangaroos or is it just lockdown preventing hunting/culling? Or processing?

I like me some kangaroo meat.

And I'm not a cat with digestive issues! 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Wow, I thought you were joking but I guess not.  Are they in such abundance/farmed?

image.png.a1fc1f77c59ce6a339347ec1702babf9.png

They cull wild kangas and I believe the meat mostly comes from Queensland, which irritates me because there should be a local industry imo. There is no sport hunting season, you have to be a professional or a farmer to kill them with approval. They really fill the same ecological niche as deer - browsers that like to jump in front of cars. Take extra care driving at dusk and dawn. Most of the meat goes to pet food because most people don't eat much if any. I'm not a big fan. Do like having them behind my place, though.

DSCF0019.thumb.JPG.aa1c2660913e97bebf3d0c8bad12560d.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Is there actually a shortage of kangaroos or is it just lockdown preventing hunting/culling? Or processing?

I like me some kangaroo meat.

And I'm not a cat with digestive issues! 

I'm really not sure why there is a shortage. Maybe it isn't economical with the expense of covid control in the abattoirs 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, haresfur said:

They cull wild kangas and I believe the meat mostly comes from Queensland, which irritates me because there should be a local industry imo. There is no sport hunting season, you have to be a professional or a farmer to kill them with approval. They really fill the same ecological niche as deer - browsers that like to jump in front of cars. Take extra care driving at dusk and dawn. Most of the meat goes to pet food because most people don't eat much if any. I'm not a big fan. Do like having them behind my place, though.

DSCF0019.thumb.JPG.aa1c2660913e97bebf3d0c8bad12560d.JPG

Good to know, thanks!  'Not a big fan' means you've eaten them?  How do they taste and what are the most common/best preps?  (I know I can google but prefer a first hand acct)  I imagine, since herbivores, there are ways to make them palatable?

That wasn't chicken

2 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Good to know, thanks!  'Not a big fan' means you've eaten them?  How do they taste and what are the most common/best preps?  (I know I can google but prefer a first hand acct)  I imagine, since herbivores, there are ways to make them palatable?

Kangaroo is very lean so pretty healthy, and low impact on greenhouse gases so I feel kind of guilty. I might try harder but my partner is not much of a red meat fan. I wouldn't say it's gammy, more like congealed blood. Steak is best cut thin and cooked fast. 

Sure it works for some but I want MY food as I like it and think I just have to sit tight. It is in large part the experience I miss. Connection to farmers at market, picking my own stuff. The man who owns the gardening service I've used forever showed up today to tell me he was giving my place to his nephew who already works here though Jesus he uncle is coming back later in week to clear a tricky bit on the roof he is familiar with. He is not retiring but dividing the types of work they do. They all work their tails off to save for retirement back home in Jalisco. That familiar connection felt good. I asked if the family had lost anyone to the Pandemic and he said no - thankfully. 

• Like 3