• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

1 minute ago, Jacksoup said:

My friend and I started cooking together from the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls when we were about 8 yrs old.  It certainly does feel good to do this.

Nice to get positive feedback isn't it.  Love the book which is somewhere here...   What about those stained glass sugar cookies - I think they were in there?

27 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

A lifelong friends husband had a stroke in March, then two other diseases were discovered both of which cause clotting.  Many complications have ensued.  I’ve been making dinner or baking for them about once a week. They could afford to have food delivered but my friend said it’s so comforting when friends cook for them.  My friend and I started cooking together from the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls when we were about 8 yrs old.  It certainly does feel good to do this.

It is wonderful when you can do something to help. Glad you can make their lives brighter. Wishing all the best to your friend’s husband.

• Like 3

Looks like Misfits Market is having shipping issues in my area. Definitely understandable given the uptick in the use of shipping for vaccines, pandemic shopping, and holiday shopping. My box was supposed to arrive Saturday, FedEx says it will arrive on the 26th, Misfits Market said Saturday and is now saying Monday. I’m guessing that FedEx’s estimate is correct. I’m going to stop my subscription and try again mid-January. Thankfully I can get delivery from Wegmans & Whole Foods.

The NY Times reports that the government intends to deregulate French dressing at the request of the Association for Dressings & Sauces:

"The standard does not appear necessary to ensure that the product meets consumer expectations, and the F.D.A. has tentatively concluded that it is no longer necessary to promote honesty and fair dealing in the interest of consumers and may limit flexibility for innovation," the agency said.

I just hope the pronoun police don't come after ranch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, curls said:

Looks like Misfits Market is having shipping issues in my area. Definitely understandable given the uptick in the use of shipping for vaccines, pandemic shopping, and holiday shopping. My box was supposed to arrive Saturday, FedEx says it will arrive on the 26th, Misfits Market said Saturday and is now saying Monday. I’m guessing that FedEx’s estimate is correct. I’m going to stop my subscription and try again mid-January. Thankfully I can get delivery from Wegmans & Whole Foods.

If there's not a waiting list, you might want to give Imperfect a try in the meantime -- they use their own delivery drivers. Probably too late for this week but you might be able to get a box for the following week.

2 hours ago, dtremit said:

If there's not a waiting list, you might want to give Imperfect a try in the meantime -- they use their own delivery drivers. Probably too late for this week but you might be able to get a box for the following week.

Thank you for the suggestion!

2 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

I got the “super spreader” joke. I thought you really came home to 20 pounds of PB.

Indeed I did really come home to a shrink wrapped case of 20 pounds of peanut butter, thanks to amazon and UPS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 12/20/2020 at 12:53 PM, heidih said:

Nice to get positive feedback isn't it.  Love the book which is somewhere here...   What about those stained glass sugar cookies - I think they were in there?

Perhaps it was these?

42A96491-6CB3-4A2E-9532-3EDFCC2DAB47.jpeg

• Like 4

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

25 minutes ago, BetD said:

Perhaps it was these?

42A96491-6CB3-4A2E-9532-3EDFCC2DAB47.jpeg

Thanks I looked on line later and you are correct - not in there. . I think the stained glass ones were in a holiday book  The BC book though - perfect for projects with the younger kids stuck at home during lockdown. Cooking and baking address so many life skill sets :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm all out of strychnine.

A Tom Lehrer fan, I presume?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm all out of strychnine.

6 minutes ago, chromedome said:

A Tom Lehrer fan, I presume?

Interestingly, I just played a Tom Lehrer youtube video for my wife. I first learned about tom when our 6th grade teacher (a Buddhist) played him for us in 19 homina homina.

A friend of mine is a friend of his and has interviewed him for his radio program - I'll see if I can find it.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Interestingly, I just played a Tom Lehrer youtube video for my wife. I first learned about tom when our 6th grade teacher (a Buddhist) played him for us in 19 homina homina.

A friend of mine is a friend of his and has interviewed him for his radio program - I'll see if I can find it.

My introduction came from my sociology prof, back when I was 15 or 16, so I was just the right age to appreciate his humor. He's in his 90s now and still hanging in. I think of him occasionally, and hope he's safe and well cared for in the Year of the Pandemic.

In the 80s, when I lived in Vancouver, a random chance-met stranger pegged me as a Lehrer fan because I apparently channeled his tone perfectly while making a snarky comment. I considered that a compliment.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just a little purchasing...

796160229_Mirinchilicrisp12-20.thumb.jpeg.fe1bc7f09b8a8d44bacae8ef3e2ce28e.jpeg

I hear only good things about Sichuan chili crisp (and who knew, but there's a lot of this type of stuff on the market). But it'll be a cold day in hell before I put it on ice cream.

Real Mirin. Not that aji-mirin from Kikkoman I've used for decades. No added sugars. Excited to try this.

1155212293_OlionuovoCalifornia12-20.thumb.jpeg.6dd9b06926a93603930332c6f442597f.jpeg

I couldn't resist; just bottled within the last few weeks.  

• Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

I( hope you are able to keep that olive oil refrigerated.

makes a huge difference over time.

I plan on drinking it all tonight 😉 .

I generally don't refrigerate olive oils...I've been using them at a rate which precludes them from going off. And unopened, in a cool, dark place, they'll be fine for a while I'm sure. Whether they'll be nuovo or not is a whole other story.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!

My parents had all his albums. I've been pretty indecisive about what to have for xmas day dessert along with our pizzas....zabaglione? Pink peppermint ice cream with hot chocolate sauce?  But  now at least I know what to do for New Year's Eve: I will get some thulium and thallium and go out with a bang. Here's to the end of 2020!

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1