• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

36 minutes ago, weinoo said:

It's probably been me.

But it really is an ingenious device; the output works perfectly for these types of salads. Which make sense, considering both the salads and the device are French. Also great for grating parmesan. I wonder if it'll work for shredding potatoes for latkes?

Yeah, I'm worried....I only have a food processor which will make it not right or a hand grater which still seems to make the shreds too small.....

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yeah, I'm worried....I only have a food processor which will make it not right or a hand grater which still seems to make the shreds too small.....

The first time I made the celeriac, I julienned by hand...it worked well.

food processor is fine...don’t be afraid.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I just cut up a buck...I'm not sure I can handle julienning by hand tonight 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I just cut up a buck...I'm not sure I can handle julienning by hand tonight 🤣

Only you!  I would give the hand a rest and try another day. Not like celeriac is gonna mush on ya.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yes, I've coarsely shredded many a potato with my processor. Grating by hand seems like a tiresome and dangerous chore. Keep your moulinex in fighting weight. When the end times come and the electricity goes out those French contraptions will be gold. Where IS mine? I think mine was orange. Were there a bunch of colors? And do they still sell them? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's like the original spiralizer and food processor all in one (or in 5, as that's how many discs mine came with). Yes, on eBay. And yes, they were orange!

It provides a finished product, at least with the particular shredding discs and particular vegetables and fruits, that is nonpareil.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 12/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, heidih said:

We are strange - not generally an option in USA  Dairy council, agricultural supports for the industry are huge.

It's hard to find full UHT shelf stable milk, but a lot of the refrigerated ultrapasteurized stuff has fairly long expiration dates. I'm seeing milk right now with dates into January.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtremit said:

It's hard to find full UHT shelf stable milk, but a lot of the refrigerated ultrapasteurized stuff has fairly long expiration dates. I'm seeing milk right now with dates into January.

And I’m using ultrapasturized milk that had a best by date two weeks ago and it’s not turned yet.

Went to Ralphs (Kroger) this morning. Empty. Favorite clerk even opened a checkstand for me. Everyone extremely polite and distanced. Some things were "empty". Happy and surprised the frozen vegetables were all marked down as well as the salad kits. Perhaps they over stocked for Thanksgiving and need to clear. I am set. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Yes, I've coarsely shredded many a potato with my processor. Grating by hand seems like a tiresome and dangerous chore. Keep your moulinex in fighting weight. When the end times come and the electricity goes out those French contraptions will be gold. Where IS mine? I think mine was orange. Were there a bunch of colors? And do they still sell them? 

I think eBay is the best source for a replacement. I bought mine around 1979 - 80 when they were still being retailed in the US.  It's orange and has 5 metal disks.  I believe the same model was also sold in white plastic. I've had to repair the plastic knob on the end of the crank and need to do that again. I used Sugru and it lasted a few years.  The disks are still in good shape.  I use the thing all the time. 

The one I grew up with was an older, all-metal version.  The "hopper" area was smaller, which is somewhat limiting, and the knob was wooden. 

• Like 2

Today's Misfits box:

misfit3.thumb.jpg.02901a9cac3e43db6e7235a1e0e67838.jpg

I think I may drop back to the smaller size; the variety of produce is getting fairly small. But I got leeks, Napa cabbage, carrots, butternut and delicata apples, potatoes, kiwi, onions, golden beets. I just like the larger amounts of each thing.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

But I also used a pound of frozen ground pork, making room for a D'artagnan delivery next week!

Very, very small order this time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Jessica’s last (we hope) Hungry Harvest box:

IMG_4252.jpg.32fdeec0b26070f7b99917ef0ba185b0.jpg

Spinach, red onions, broccoli, red pears, apples, five avocados, and a boatload of clementines. 

It was a really nice gesture from her friend.  And we appreciate the company's goals and all.  But I have stuff to do and trying to figure out what to do with a giant box of vegetables and fruits is exhausting.  😳😊

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

One miniature goose. Very rare, btw. You need 100 of them to make a confit, so I believe @weinoo is going to save his singleton for an amuse bouche. For a port wine cherry sauce use 1/4 cup of port and two cherries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Oh no, it's just the start - I have 7 more evening meals to work out of that freezer! 

But I do hope to keep it, shall we say, less full from here on.

Could be getting rid of the quail, next. They're small!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

17 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Oh no, it's just the start - I have 7 more evening meals to work out of that freezer! 

But I do hope to keep it, shall we say, less full from here on.

Could be getting rid of the quail, next. They're small!

Okay, a wild leap: D'Artagnan is shipping you a Great Bustard in seven days?

• Haha 3

A study recently released here in Canada concluded that food prices would face a noticeable uptick in 2021, to the tune of just under $700/household over the year on the average. One of my local news outlets interviewed an academic who was involved in preparing the report, and I thought some of you might be interested in it.

https://signalhfx.ca/qa-what-the-2021-food-report-tells-us-about-food-economics/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Jessica’s last (we hope) Hungry Harvest box:

IMG_4252.jpg.32fdeec0b26070f7b99917ef0ba185b0.jpg

Spinach, red onions, broccoli, red pears, apples, five avocados, and a boatload of clementines. 

It was a really nice gesture from her friend.  And we appreciate the company's goals and all.  But I have stuff to do and trying to figure out what to do with a giant box of vegetables and fruits is exhausting.  😳😊

Look up Nigella Lawson's Clementine cake. That'll use up a few.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Still no sign of my Misfits Market box, they have changed the estimated delivery from today to tomorrow. Per their tracking information it went on the local truck this morning. Maybe something about their shipping model just doesn’t work for Northern Virginia. I hope the box arrives soon and without damage. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2