• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

9 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yesterday I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up some of Ronnie's meds (still working on coordinating everything together).  I leaned heavily towards just getting the meds and getting out of there quickly, but, we needed milk.  I need to look at Misfits next time...I thought I saw milk the first time I ordered, but I might be misremembering.  Anyway, far before the pandemic I thought about buying an extra gallon of whole milk and freezing it for the times that my milk goes bad or runs out.  I pulled the trigger and did it yesterday.  Internet tells me it will keep up to 6 months frozen.  It's a nice feeling knowing I have it.

For the billionth time I praise the Vacmaster.

Why not buy UHT milk?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

5 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Why not buy UHT milk?

We are strange - not generally an option in USA  Dairy council, agricultural supports for the industry are huge.

Edited by heidih (log)

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I don't know what UHT milk is?

Ultra high temperature pasteurized to make it shelf stable. I know because when Kerry Beal used to go to Buffalo she would bring me a case. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ultra high temperature pasteurized to make it shelf stable. I know because when Kerry Beal used to go to Buffalo she would bring me a case. 

I've often wondered if it tasted any different.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I've often wondered if it tasted any different.

IMO UHT milk doesn't taste quite as good as really fresh milk but tastes a whole lot better that a few day old regular milk. Even after you open it, it keeps a lot longer in the fridge, which is good for those of us who don't use much milk.

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, haresfur said:

IMO UHT milk doesn't taste quite as good as really fresh milk but tastes a whole lot better that a few day old regular milk. Even after you open it, it keeps a lot longer in the fridge, which is good for those of us who don't use much milk.

Yes I really miss my supply of UHT milk. I don’t drink milk so only need it for cooking and I have one 8 ounce carton left and with the border closed I’m not sure when I might get a resupply. I can occasionally find 1 L cartons in the grocery stores here but the case of 12 - 8 ounces worked much better.  Less waste. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

47 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes I really miss my supply of UHT milk. I don’t drink milk so only need it for cooking and I have one 8 ounce carton left and with the border closed I’m not sure when I might get a resupply. I can occasionally find 1 L cartons in the grocery stores here but the case of 12 - 8 ounces worked much better.  Less waste. 

There are a few brands on Amazon.ca, but they're *all* currently showing as out of stock. I expect it's a COVID-related supply chain thing.

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Trader Joe’s has UHT cream. I try to always have one box in the pantry. Nice to have around as a just in case pantry item.

I did manage to get 2 boxes of UHT whole milk at some point in this pandemic. Usually I see lowfat UHT milk. Would be nice if they had UHT buttermilk but I have yet to see that.

It is pretty easy to find small containers of UHT milk in the regular grocery store. I think a lot of it is/was packaged so that it would be easy to add to a child’s lunchbox.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chromedome said:

There are a few brands on Amazon.ca, but they're *all* currently showing as out of stock. I expect it's a COVID-related supply chain thing.

Yes I did look there. It’s also interesting how much is showing on Amazon.com but it all seems to be from third parties. There is no lack of UHT milk. 

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

The first time I encountered UHT milk was working in bush camps in Northern Canada decades ago. Before that we got all our milk in frozen and still got some that way because it helped keep the meat from thawing. So it seems surprising to me that it didn't catch on for you. The fresh milk here seems particularly susceptible to going off - especially in plastic. So I'm glad we have an abundance of UHT, too.

OO7QwL3K1wlujtw_peZbQXofGwB4DIasKwB9bYa4x2QxFC214JDtWuV4xeaBbaS9iwbyjCwmnO-npYvvsbxSzLWvVTn9AfCbyjev4BejtH7h5o5SoGpmL6AWkrOCVuh7U0Y4jQRmKn-7TI79d5XgNwefjCBKlfmfmzuNY8gtG7Xe22jK2dxE3POv99KSrEc8CurlKMjc8JMp96iyYJS3tV1cjPEWIvznkRhMpf-E90uuOnEhIKVlojznbfBUQb0NEXJ-9syOQECidDvkr3-NpOXjPDT8BWB4C0YpG2BQcQFDEDtEyVf9dw6Kyb4kYoZt-yVFCj8OUQd0FwNTphRhBKzWz6L96QZfle7avi_RwsbBfIXHKabRqPD78pt3zknvir8y4HVrdpvNYXBwjt2xIQ2YA4mU4PoXqCbiwTRCN_SnR_qs6VcVUx7ovBGWIWutHVrgz-jDV3PFV25qm0AdFQFSOPk9CfcazxEQPmMNTKPkdAbEqm1VT_k7_xQccUOr1kzrtphaP_vyhgqsIvO36VSmXtrRnW4-IjiMGYPR7pcEm8gEvAQSYPpg7km2YIFu-6Jg38nAuuyIlwwQNsq19J3w3QqN6HXB8o6BXKEjOwAQ5NAND__rsHZqnOE0nWp9n2w4BF43iWPGofmq1_1pGRH8OVABxbb0UApAqbhGUuSnGG1BUE_S8lBw7g8-=w1607-h904-no?authuser=0

• Like 3

UHT milk is not a thing in my area but it is a thing. Local dairy farms are still part of nostalgia even in Los Angeles. The big associations rule the roost  https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/research-promotion/dairy   https://www.usdairy.com/news-articles/uht-milk-what-is-ultra-high-temperature-milk

https://www.yelp.com/biz/broguieres-farm-fresh-dairy-montebello?osq=dairy+farm

• Like 1

I don't post here much, because, where I live we have been so lucky as I have mentioned before..

But I went to a QLD Covid safe Mining Industry Xmas party yesterday... 

Individual nibblies

20201205_180730.thumb.jpg.a9e7d577a486cafa1d902475cc9f283c.jpg

Woodwarmed Pizza

20201205_191308.thumb.jpg.a5b152374ecfc108cd38b5f1820b0e90.jpg

Chicken wings and salads

20201205_190621.thumb.jpg.4a1b2acf91d9ac0ba1e4b982003ab316.jpg

Dessert individual Prawn Buckets

20201205_202550.thumb.jpg.4a4b391b553a9a7538352a0104ba0aba.jpg

(All these photos are sneak ones, hubby hates the food photo thing and it was his work party). 

We signed in for Covid safety... and that was it. Drinks were shared. Pizza was shared. I'm not bragging, I'm worried. Reading what you all have gone / are going through, we just don't have the mentality here yet... and it's been a year. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

As we face massive lockdown at midnight tonight I am torn -  grocery run or ?  I think folks will be in hoarding mentality mode. Really just want frozen and fresh vegetables and eggs.  I could live off pantry for rest. Hospital numbers are ugly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, heidih said:

As we face massive lockdown at midnight tonight I am torn -  grocery run or ?  I think folks will be in hoarding mentality mode. Really just want frozen and fresh vegetables and eggs.  I could live off pantry for rest. Hospital numbers are ugly. 

That is a hard decision...if I were to go, I'd go as early as I could......

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Can you get a delivery?  It might be the safer option.

4 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Can you get a delivery?  It might be the safer option.

I can but wanted to select my own vegetables. Silly really. And the substitutions can be like blind man's bluff.  My cell reception is spotty due to location. I've tried all the carriers. Makes communication with shopper a pain. 

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

I can but wanted to select my own vegetables. Silly really. And the substitutions can be like blind man's bluff.  My cell reception is spotty due to location. I've tried all the carriers. Makes communication with shopper a pain. 

I usually go before work.  Lots of stores open at 6 am.  At around 7 am there is barely another shopper there.  Harris Teeter is my go to but Giant, Wegmans are also open early.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 3:23 PM, weinoo said:

Of course, to really go French...

891709253_Celeriremoulade2020-02.thumb.JPG.1de9222cd2f9d99dc301a9ea1764a304.JPG

this helps tons...

1806010198_MouliJulienne.jpeg.c13d1eca8cefa1eaaf15e2dd1085b46d.jpeg

I do think how nicely the root is shredded/julienned makes a difference in the final taste.

Every few years someone posts about their moulinex and I am reminded one more time that mine has been missing for years. Maybe my daughter will dig it up in the basement in some unimaginable future. Unless I see a picture it stays forgotten. I loved it. 

• Like 3

Set a timer and placed my order with Misfits Market - everything was in stock! Box is scheduled to arrive Friday. I'll post again after I get my delivery. Hopefully it goes smoother than @chefmd's delivery. @chefmd have you heard back from Misfits Market about the issues with your order? I'm hoping that they credited your account for the spoiled produce.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Every few years someone posts about their moulinex and I am reminded one more time that mine has been missing for years. Maybe my daughter will dig it up in the basement in some unimaginable future. Unless I see a picture it stays forgotten. I loved it. 

It's probably been me.

But it really is an ingenious device; the output works perfectly for these types of salads. Which make sense, considering both the salads and the device are French. Also great for grating parmesan. I wonder if it'll work for shredding potatoes for latkes?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?