• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

Had to go to the pharmacy/store again today.  Mega changes from last week.  HUGE signs saying that masks were absolutely mandatory.  The employees all had their masks on correctly (I saw some with the under the nose thing going on last week).  Also hit the big city grocery store (I'm not going again until well after Thanksgiving--the number are skyrocketing around here).  Shelves mostly stocked.  They had a few off brand wipes so I grabbed one.  Turkeys were huge and expensive (IMO).  They had ground lamb!  Stupidly expensive, but I want to make gyro meat.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I had a Whole Foods delivery today.  In good news, I was able to obtain a smallish (11-12 lb.) organic turkey for their Amazon Prime price of $2.99/lb plus an extra 10% off.  This is my backup turkey just in case something happens with the one I ordered from D'Artagnan.   If the D'Aratagnan one arrives with no issues I will freeze the Whole Foods turkey for eating later in the winter.

One bizarre glitch in the order: I asked for six bananas.  They sent me 21!  I guess I will be baking banana bread soon. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I had a Whole Foods delivery today.  In good news, I was able to obtain a smallish (11-12 lb.) organic turkey for their Amazon Prime price of $2.99/lb plus an extra 10% off.  This is my backup turkey just in case something happens with the one I ordered from D'Artagnan.   If the D'Aratagnan one arrives with no issues I will freeze the Whole Foods turkey for eating later in the winter.

One bizarre glitch in the order: I asked for six bananas.  They sent me 21!  I guess I will be baking banana bread soon. 🙃

Dehydrated reduces volume and they can be a nice snack. Season creatively works into the mix.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

They might have interpreted that as 6 lbs, maybe? Bananas go 3-4/lb depending on size.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

They might have interpreted that as 6 lbs, maybe? Bananas go 3-4/lb depending on size.

I just checked WF and they price bananas per pound but they sell them by the piece.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

44 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I just checked WF and they price bananas per pound but they sell them by the piece.

Happens to me with Instacart. They show price per pound and average cost per one. If you click "X" number you generally get that many  but every once in a while you get that many pounds. Must be a shopper learning glitch. 

18 hours ago, chromedome said:

I specifically ordered them by the piece, but you are right, they must have given me bananas by the pound.  They will get used up somehow.

FWIW, I've had luck with very soft bananas mashing them to pulp with a little lemon juice and freezing in a plastic bag. Lemon juice keeps pulp from discoloring. Vac sealed or air expelled via water displacement method.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I talked to my Mom today about how this week's food bank went--this is the week they give out the turkeys.  They were given 350 to distribute from the Greater Boston food bank allotment, and then a local businessman donated 1,000 more.  She said that despite all of that, they still ran out with a line down the block.  Luckily they were able to give out vouchers to the people still waiting.  I am not sure where the extra turkeys are coming from--probably the businessman.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Got my Misfit box just now!

I'm impressed.  Nothing really looked like a misfit...except for one bell pepper got smashed (which for @rotutswould be a win lol)

thumbnail_IMG_0169.jpg.26d2e918d3b9636cbb13c238c2493307.jpg

Probably won't buy chips again, they were a bit smashed, too.  But, I'm liking the amounts and it beats going to the store right now for sure!

Big head of cabbage

1 cucumber

1 bunch of broccoli

2 nice bunches of chard

5 limes

3 lemons

1 onion

box of cherry tomatoes

2 bell peppers

1 bunch of celery

4 bok choy (they were 69 cents a piece extra)

1 bunch parsley 

1 head of butter lettuce

I'm a happy person :) 

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I’ll bet you are. But my question for you is how/where will you store all this fresh produce? I have a relatively large French door LG refrigerator but no way could I fit all of your fresh produce that needs/benefits from refrigeration into the crisper drawers.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I’ll bet you are. But my question for you is how/where will you store all this fresh produce? I have a relatively large French door LG refrigerator but no way could I fit all of your fresh produce that needs/benefits from refrigeration into the crisper drawers.

Oh it's a challenge.  I've put the parsley in a mason jar with water.  Onion went in the onion bowl.  I don't keep tomatoes in the fridge.  The rest I'll put in ziplock and put in the garage fridge.  

Edited to say I don't keep lemons/limes in the fridge either...it's cold enough and we use them quickly.  The cabbage and cucumber will go into the kraut in Vivian's book.  The bok Choy will be eaten super soon (thinking about using the quirky seasoning...??)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Got my Misfit box just now!

I'm impressed.  Nothing really looked like a misfit...except for one bell pepper got smashed (which for @rotutswould be a win lol)

thumbnail_IMG_0169.jpg.26d2e918d3b9636cbb13c238c2493307.jpg

Probably won't buy chips again, they were a bit smashed, too.  But, I'm liking the amounts and it beats going to the store right now for sure!

Big head of cabbage

1 cucumber

1 bunch of broccoli

2 nice bunches of chard

5 limes

3 lemons

1 onion

box of cherry tomatoes

2 bell peppers

1 bunch of celery

4 bok choy (they were 69 cents a piece extra)

1 bunch parsley 

1 head of butter lettuce

This is great, @Shelby. I'm glad it makes you so happy!  Save those trimmings - there may even be some vegetable stock in your future!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

This is great, @Shelby. I'm glad it makes you so happy!  Save those trimming - there may even be some vegetable stock in your future!

It's a relief to get fresh veggies delivered especially now.  Great idea about saving the trimmings.  Thank you!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The rest I'll put in ziplock and put in the garage fridge.  

That’s my problem. I don’t have a fridge in the garage. Oh but wait… I don’t have a garage. 😂

Thanks very much for that explanation. 

• Haha 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

That’s my problem. I don’t have a fridge in the garage. Oh but wait… I don’t have a garage. 😂

Thanks very much for that explanation. 

Oh Anna, I literally thought to myself a couple hours ago "I sure wish I had even a little extra fridge that I could stick somewhere"...and then I scolded myself.  There are only 2 of us for heavens sake.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh Anna, I literally thought to myself a couple hours ago "I sure wish I had even a little extra fridge that I could stick somewhere"...and then I scolded myself.  There are only 2 of us for heavens sake.  

So far in my relatively long life I have yet to hear a single person say I have too much fridge!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I *have* a little extra fridge, and am thinking very seriously of a little extra upright freezer to match. Again, there are just the two of us.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, Shelby said:

It's a relief to get fresh veggies delivered especially now.  Great idea about saving the trimmings.  Thank you!

Take advantage - I think this is a great service - and also one way in which food waste might be lessened. As you can see, what they think is unfit for retail sale is really perfectly OK.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Take advantage - I think this is a great service - and also one way in which food waste might be lessened. As you can see, what they think is unfit for retail sale is really perfectly OK.

Hyup. I'm currently buying "C" grade Honeycrisp apples from a local grower's storefront at $1.20/lb, which is 35-50% of the regular retail at stores. What makes 'em "C" grade? Random sizes, irregular shapes, and the odd cosmetic blemish. (shrug) Works for me...

• Like 2

We have a big kitchen fridge/freezer, a big freezer and a littler fridge freezer.

We cooked out of the freezer from March to June and only emptied it by half. Toward the beginning of summer I found two ducks I didn't know I had. 

• Like 5