• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

16 minutes ago, kayb said:

A new adventure in mail order: Misfits Market, which takes misshapen, flawed and otherwise imperfect produce and ships it out to you, at least in the eastern half of the US and a few states west of the Mississippi River (but nothing further west than the states bordering on the river, I think).

I ordered the smaller box, which yielded me 12 different kinds of produce, in amounts they say should serve for one or two portions. Here's the haul:

1406677990_Misfit1.thumb.jpg.7af871d413bd453655a754a332ac5018.jpg

1679836175_Misfit2.thumb.jpg.6bc400ee518d873acaa159ebd9b0221b.jpg

for the princely sum of $22. You get to choose from, I'd guess, 40 to 50 kinds of produce they had available. I thought it was a damn fine bargain. There's also a "market" where you can add on some condiments, sauces and the like.

I've scheduled a box every other week.

Be sure to tell us what becomes of the persimmons, please!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

22 minutes ago, kayb said:

A new adventure in mail order: Misfits Market, which takes misshapen, flawed and otherwise imperfect produce and ships it out to you, at least in the eastern half of the US and a few states west of the Mississippi River (but nothing further west than the states bordering on the river, I think).

I ordered the smaller box, which yielded me 12 different kinds of produce, in amounts they say should serve for one or two portions. Here's the haul:

for the princely sum of $22. You get to choose from, I'd guess, 40 to 50 kinds of produce they had available. I thought it was a damn fine bargain. There's also a "market" where you can add on some condiments, sauces and the like.

This is awesome!  I just put in my zip code and it says they will ship to me :)  I'm off to peruse.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Be sure to tell us what becomes of the persimmons, please!

I'm thinking they may go in a salad with the fennel. Do you, btw, know if those are Fuyu or Hachiya persimmons? All I know is, they ain't the persimmons like we had in the pasture in Tennessee.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

I'm thinking they may go in a salad with the fennel. Do you, btw, know if those are Fuyu or Hachiya persimmons? All I know is, they ain't the persimmons like we had in the pasture in Tennessee.

Those look like the ones you let get to custard not the crispy ones that pleasantly evoke fall spice. 

42 minutes ago, kayb said:

I checked this out... first off, I'm not a huge fan of the idea I had to give them an email address just to see if they deliver to me.

@Shelby or @kayb - can you pick the items in your box, have limited choices, or is it whatever they feel like giving you, like a CSA?

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

OMG this is like Christmas :)  I signed up!  My first delivery will be the 20th of this month.  4 days beforehand I log in to pick what I want in my box.  How fun!

Wasn't it cool? I think I'm going to the big box next time, as it comes in right before T'giving! 

It comes with some of those cold packs, and all the packaging is supposed to be recyclable. My stuff was plenty cool.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I checked this out... first off, I'm not a huge fan of the idea I had to give them an email address just to see if they deliver to me.

@Shelby or @kayb - can you pick the items in your box, have limited choices, or is it whatever they feel like giving you, like a CSA?

You can pick the items from the choices they give you.  They have a lot of choices (right now anyway).  It looks really easy to skip delivery or even cancel.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

It'll give you one group of items from which you pick, I think, six things. Another group, you pick four. The final group, you pick two. So yes, limited somewhat. But there were a great many choices, I thought.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

I'm so excited for this that I can't hardly think straight lol.  I've looked all over the internet for ever trying to find someone that would deliver fruits/veggies like this.  I'd even take CSA where you don't get a choice.  Where I live I can't even get grocery store delivery so this is a great find (especially NOW).  Thank you Kay!!!

Edited to say:  I forgot to say what I had originally came here to say.  The store had turkeys today.  I had to go get Ronnie's meds so I shopped too.  Limit of 2 and you had to spend $25 to get them.  Easy for me to do lol.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, kayb said:

This is like the boxes that Jessica has been getting and sharing with us.  Different company, though.  We've been extremely happy with what we've received.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kayb said:

They look like Hachiyas to me. As @heidih noted above, they need to be dead-ripe, as in about to turn to custard, or else (IMO) cooked to kill the astingency. Here's a writeup on Fuyu vs. Hachiya, with an interesting discussion (read the comments) including American persimmons. Those are probably the ones you had in Tennessee.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 hours ago, Shelby said:

I'm so excited for this that I can't hardly think straight lol.  I've looked all over the internet for ever trying to find someone that would deliver fruits/veggies like this.  I'd even take CSA where you don't get a choice.  Where I live I can't even get grocery store delivery so this is a great find (especially NOW).  Thank you Kay!!!

Glad I brought a little happiness to your day! Be sure and let us know about your haul. I hope you're as happy with it as I am mine.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

I forgot to post the picture of last week's CSA delivery.  I am now officially overrun with winter squash and carrots.  Luckily, my niece comes home from college next week, and will then be remote learning until February, and winter squash and carrots are some of her favorite foods.

csa.thumb.jpg.57d9e3c3e1e5a98329760e6f4cb39c83.jpg

• Like 8

Nice your niece's time with you coincides with the squash and carrots. There are days when all I want are roasted carrots. Re the squash - this post with pumpkin (aka squash) fries gave me a drool. 

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2272417

• Like 1

Ah grocery delivery- sometimes surprises show up. I know i clicked on corn tortillas. Bag had the familiar logo (Kroger baseline is Mission here). Took 2 out to have with eggs for breakfast. Hhmmmm no corn smell, tastes like flour but kinda thick though soft. Looked at package and this fusion bizarreness was revealed. Now I live in King's Hawaiian land - HQ in town. But really!!!

https://www.missionfoods.com/products/street-tacos-sweet-hawaiian-tortillas/

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I received a fun package yesterday...

837814746_Zojirushiricecooker.thumb.jpeg.682774b55ba65021b7be00a23cfeeaed.jpeg

Nice, subtle design fits right in.  It cooks like every kind of rice (well, other than pilafs, risotti, paellas, etc.), porridge, oats, etc.  Looking forward to having some fun with this addition (which involved some reorg of the countertop and pantry pull-outs).  And it was put to immediate use last night - robots don't rest!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo 

Ive had one of these for a very very long time,

after bumping into this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558326677/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=rice+cooker+cookbook&qid=1605275926&sr=8-1

which was on display at the library.   way way before the iPot revolution.

and I got it for one thing:  Groats ( porridge cycle  ) with milk 

it took 55 min , but was unattended and the goats came out perfectly.

its my understanding from books that the iPot or other pressureecookers

don't do well w milk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I received a fun package yesterday...

837814746_Zojirushiricecooker.thumb.jpeg.682774b55ba65021b7be00a23cfeeaed.jpeg

Nice, subtle design fits right in.  It cooks like every kind of rice (well, other than pilafs, risotti, paellas, etc.), porridge, oats, etc.  Looking forward to having some fun with this addition (which involved some reorg of the countertop and pantry pull-outs).  And it was put to immediate use last night - robots don't rest!

I have this little fellow too. Always reminds me of a pokemon

• Like 1

these also have convenient handles.

I gt a 10-cup ( asian cup )  as the RC had plenty of

headroom for mix-ins  after cooking.

mix-ins that did well in hot rice went it before transport.

fresh greens , green onion tops , cilantro , etc

got transported serepartely  and mixed in at the destination

and the RC got plugged in, kept  on Warm.

Remember Destinations ?  Pot-Luck dinners w friends ?

the RC w handle did Yeoman or Yeowomans service 

back then.

and there were aways plenty of Not-Fried-Rice leftovers

for breakfast the next day.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

Ive had one of these for a very very long time,

after bumping into this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-Cooker-Cookbook-Porridges/dp/1558326677/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=rice+cooker+cookbook&qid=1605275926&sr=8-1

which was on display at the library.   way way before the iPot revolution.

I just downloaded it from the library - thanks!

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

13 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I have that rice cooker and really love it.  It makes perfect rice every time.

I am very excited about it.  Especially with the different varieties of rice I enjoy playing around with.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

these make very acceptable 

paella , and risotto .

OMG !   push a button , etc

you did have to open the cooker for the last few minutes\

of Paella to add the shrimp , scallops , mussels .

and close the lid.

check in the Ultimate RCcookbook.

• Like 1