• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Where are your breakfast and lunch chalkboards?

Breakfast is serve yourself whatever you want and none of us eat lunch.  

Here is this week's CSA delivery.  That is a huge honking kohlrabi.  They sent a recipe for kohlrabi-turnip cakes that I might make to use it up, along with the turnips and their greens.  I am not sure what I am going to do with the huge bunch of mint.  The acorn squash joins the existing winter squash stockpile (we are actually eating some of it today, stuffed).

CSA.thumb.jpg.2a6ce4ece49304de416923e2e7013a9b.jpg

• Like 10

Last night I found in my kitchen what appeared to be a cross between a roach, a giant stink bug, and Godzilla.  I determined it was a spotted lantern fly.  In my kitchen.

• Sad 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

54 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Whens' the fauxfit, bro?

I actually made some last week or so - when I brought my first batch of legs home, I froze 3 packs and salted overnight and then SV'd 2 packs at 144F for 12 hours then chilled and refrigerated. One was turned into duck noodles and the other was then finished in the CSO at 250F steam bake for like 30 minutes then put on top of par boiled potatoes to convection bake at 425 until brown and crispy.  Unfortunately both my wife and I forgot to take photos...  Also unfortunately, the precook at 144 barely rendered any fat and wasn't quite as tender as I wanted it to be so I have to reconsider my technique. Maybe I'll go for a higher more common confit texture SV at like 180F for a while and then crisp in the oven.  I used to do that all the time and it always worked out ok.  But I was looking for more of a tender and juicy duck (like the duck legs come out with peking duck or cantonese roast duck) rather than the kind of stringy confit texture so I'm always looking for a new way to do it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night I found in my kitchen what appeared to be a cross between a roach, a giant stink bug, and Godzilla.  I determined it was a spotted lantern fly.  In my kitchen.

Icky invasive bug.  At least it did not invade your Mai Tai -  "If you see a Spotted Lanternfly, it's imperative to immediately report it online or via phone by calling 1-888-4BADFLY.  Especially if you are not inside the quarantine zone"  https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plants_Land_Water/PlantIndustry/Entomology/spotted_lanternfly/SpottedLanternflyAlert/Pages/default.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I actually made some last week or so - when I brought my first batch of legs home, I froze 3 packs and salted overnight and then SV'd 2 packs at 144F for 12 hours then chilled and refrigerated. One was turned into duck noodles and the other was then finished in the CSO at 250F steam bake for like 30 minutes then put on top of par boiled potatoes to convection bake at 425 until brown and crispy.  Unfortunately both my wife and I forgot to take photos...  Also unfortunately, the precook at 144 barely rendered any fat and wasn't quite as tender as I wanted it to be so I have to reconsider my technique. Maybe I'll go for a higher more common confit texture SV at like 180F for a while and then crisp in the oven.  I used to do that all the time and it always worked out ok.  But I was looking for more of a tender and juicy duck (like the duck legs come out with peking duck or cantonese roast duck) rather than the kind of stringy confit texture so I'm always looking for a new way to do it.

I do duck confit SV and am happy with it. 175 x 12 to 18 hours

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Icky invasive bug.  At least it did not invade your Mai Tai -  "If you see a Spotted Lanternfly, it's imperative to immediately report it online or via phone by calling 1-888-4BADFLY.  Especially if you are not inside the quarantine zone"  https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plants_Land_Water/PlantIndustry/Entomology/spotted_lanternfly/SpottedLanternflyAlert/Pages/default.aspx

Those things are all over the place here. I'm collecting carcasses to make stock.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

Maybe add thyme?

Thyme would be a good addition... as is some black pepper.  But I usually don't like to flavor the duck before it goes in the bag because I like to  save the duck jelly that results.  I can use it for more things if I don't pre-flavor it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I can't find turmeric leaves anywhere to make rendang the typical West Sumatran way....  sigh... maybe I need to grow something else now?

Grows like ginger I think. Bury an untreated root and see what happens? Oh and toss in patience ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had placed a couple of orders with companies distributing from somewhat nearby.  So I decided to take a drive, rather than have the stuff shipped to me.

463005588_Bordier10-30.jpeg.a1df22395d83e604913e322f209e7dcc.jpeg

There are 3 pounds of butter in this lovely Bordier bag (the bag was free!). Not all for me, as I ordered for a few friends as well. Gourmet Cargo (in Mamaroneck) is having this stuff shipped to them (it's made to order in Brittany) on a monthly basis. It's great butter (even though some may think all butter tastes the same).

Then on my way back home, I stopped here...

1281046643_Gustiamo10-30.jpeg.a6d6f6dd7bbb8cf895953b472b8d865a.jpeg

To pick up another order. This is in the Bronx, and their courtyard is a great graffiti gallery. Used to be able to shop in the warehouse on Fridays, but not currently.

Anything to get out of the apartment.

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo

""   (the bag was free!) ""

or Pre-Paid ?

Of course pre-paid for the butter - they don’t order it from Bordier until they get $$.  But I was surprised that the bag came along with the beurre.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

There are 3 pounds of butter in this lovely Bordier bag (the bag was free!).

I just finished up the last bar of Bordier butter so I need to stock up. The local shop where I pick it up offers quite a few flavors.  I usually just get the demi-sel but I heard the seaweed (agues) is good.  

In addition to sweet, demi-sel and seaweed, they currently list smoked sea salt, piment d'espelette, garlic, fresh herbs & szechwan pepper, lemon olive oil, yuzu, vanilla bean, buckwheat, fennel and raspberry in stock.

Any recommendations?

butter.jpeg.278a26d2e4674a3fc9616196394df4d2.jpeg

Their fridge after arrival of a shipment

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add photo (log)
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I just finished up the last bar of Bordier butter so I need to stock up. The local shop where I pick it up offers quite a few flavors.  I usually just get the demi-sel but I heard the seaweed (agues) is good.  

In addition to sweet, demi-sel and seaweed, they currently list smoked sea salt, piment d'espelette, garlic, fresh herbs & szechwan pepper, lemon olive oil, yuzu, vanilla bean, buckwheat, fennel and raspberry in stock.

Any recommendations?

butter.jpeg.278a26d2e4674a3fc9616196394df4d2.jpeg

Their fridge after arrival of a shipment

A: Where the hell is that store?

B:  I ordered both the espelette and seawood, but haven't tried them yet!

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

This week's CSA.  They gave me two kohlrabi this week, sigh.  I still have the huge one from last week.  Husband is encouraging me to cut them up and throw them in to the woods for the abundant wildlife that live around my house.  I just might do that...  The huge bunch of tatsoi will be going in to a soup soon.

csa.thumb.jpg.2e2cc9520452cfabd9c006a07a86e6f4.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Epicurus Gourmet in North Hollywood.  A bit of a drive for you, but it would get you out of the apartment for a bit 🙃

I've only done that drive twice; while it's (sorta) fun, I was so much younger then, I'm older than that now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog