• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

@weinoo I also can't speak to authenticity, but I find ras el hanout is a nice way to make a lot of simple dishes more complex without much effort. Particularly good in tomato based sauces — great as an addition to shakshuka — and with chicken. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

This week's CSA.  I am getting overrun with winter squash, because my Mom was leaving them behind when cherry picking what she wanted from my box while I was in Wellfleet.  I think I am going to make a roasted squash lasagna this week.  And, look at all of the daikon radishes!  I already have a quart of them pickled for banh mi.  Any other suggestions for what do do with them?

Might be too similar to the pickles, but cubed radish kimchi is probably the easiest kimchi you can make, and rather lovely. 

I also really like daikon simmered in brothy dishes — I often will add them to chicken or vegetable soups.  Brings out their sweetness.

(Really tempted by their spring CSA share, at that discount. We already signed up for a winter share elsewhere, and for the market style share at our current farm for next summer, but having something for the gap in between would be nice.)

• Like 1

Made an afternoon brunch today that leaned pretty heavily on our staples — CSA vegetables and stuff from our Imperfect Foods box.

Base was purple barley from Imperfect, just salted and finished with a little butter.

Roasted a small honeynut squash and some CSA carrots in the CSO alongside some red onion quarters. For healthier meals I love that I can steam roast veg without adding extra oil and still get a nice result.

Made a quick pickle of some CSA daikon (which has been sitting around the fridge for weeks and weeks!) in apple cider vinegar, honey, and soy.

Sauteed the tops of two bunches of CSA hakurei turnips with garlic and olive oil for something green (and finished with a little of the brine from the daikon). This was exceptional; they're really wonderful greens.

Tied everything together with a sauce I ended up really loving — tahini, miso, and maple. Used a standard tahini sauce method starting with lemon juice, then added a glug of maple syrup and a spoonful of a fancy black soy miso we got from a producer in maine (go-en). I think I will play with the balance on this one (it was too sweet to be versatile, but perfect for roasted roots) but I can see it becoming a favorite.

And crispy fried eggs on top, almost forgot!

• Like 8

On 8/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, blue_dolphin said:

GNS Foods sells the mixed nuts American Airlines offers in their premium cabins and reportedly, Covid-19 caused American to take the warm nuts off the first class tray tables.

The company has quite a surplus and is selling them online where one can choose the traditional 'First Class' mix, or an Aloha Mix that is a combination of almonds, cashews, piña colada-flavored pecans, and dried pineapple.

I could heat them up in little ramekins, crank the AC so it's really cold and loud, grab a ratty blanket and settle in on my chaise with my Bose noise-cancelling headphones to watch a movie on my iPad. 

I found a cockroach in my American Airlines nuts tonight.  Maybe not the fault of GNS but it lessened my enjoyment of same considerably.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I found a cockroach in my American Airlines nuts tonight.  Maybe not the fault of GNS but it lessened my enjoyment of same considerably.

Maybe it was using its miles?

Was it in a sealed bag? I have 4 more pounds of this stuff!

Hummus 10-21.jpeg

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Meal Planning has become more important to us. Not so much Breakfast or Lunch, but Dinner. My husband is still working, so Dinner is our main meal of the day. Planning Dinners for several days in advance allows us to use what we already have on hand (with minimal waste) and cuts down on the need to go out and grab just that one needed item from the grocery store.

Here is my current plan through the end of next week, though subject to change:

X Wed - Panko Crusted Pan Fried Tilapia Tacos; Salsa Verde Sauce; Slaw

X Thur - SV Filet Mignon, seared in cast iron pan; Salad; Creamed Spinach

Fri - Grilled Jalapeño Sausage Wraps; Cole Slaw with Salsa Verde Sauce

Sat - Crawfish Half and Half - Étouffée and Fried; Rice; Broccoli

Sun - Pork Carnitas (from freezer) Tacos; Cole Slaw

Mon - Pot Roast; Potatoes; Carrots; Green Beans; Gravy

Tue - Beef Stew

Wed - Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (from freezer); Rice; Cole Slaw

Thur - Hot (canned) Corned Beef and Swiss on Toasted Ciabatta with Russian Dressing

Fri - New England Clam Chowder

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What is this thing you speak of, "meal planning"?

That thing we all aspire to and only the most accomplished of us actually put into practice. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Meal Planning has become more important to us. Not so much Breakfast or Lunch, but Dinner. My husband is still working, so Dinner is our main meal of the day. Planning Dinners for several days in advance allows us to use what we already have on hand (with minimal waste) and cuts down on the need to go out and grab just that one needed item from the grocery store.

Tue - Beef Stew

Thur - Hot (canned) Corned Beef and Swiss on Toasted Ciabatta with Russian Dressing

I admire you too for doing this! And everything sounds amazing. I tried to do this for a little while, but all went south pretty quickly. You've inspired me to try again! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, robirdstx said:

I’m very curious about this. Perhaps you could talk some more about it. I have recently rediscovered corned beef in the can. This sounds quite good. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I’m very curious about this perhaps you could talk some more about it. I have recently rediscovered corned beef in the can. This sounds quite g

There had been some recent posts about corned beef hash, so I bought a can of corned beef with the idea of making hash with some of the shredded hash browns that I had in the freezer. Well, that has not happened. Then I started thinking about making use of the corned beef in a sandwich. I would usually use toasted rye bread, but no rye on hand, so I thought toasted Ciabatta rolls might be good and I already had them in the freezer. This will be my first time making this particular combo, so I’ll let you know how it turns out! 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Tue - Beef Stew

I have done this on and off throughout my grown up life.  When we were young and broke, it helped to save money - I'd buy the absolutely necessary and on-brand stuff first (cat food and cigarettes) and then the stuff I could go cheaper with.  Then, when I was working it saved time.  Now, when I'm so scattered and unable to focus, it is a great tool that encourages me to sit down and plan and make a shopping list.  I have a Word document with different meals that occur to me that I can choose from.  I don't always stick to it, but it helps.  

I love the use of canned corned beef.  I've used it for years fried for breakfast, or for hash, but never thought to put it in a sandwich.  I'll be trying that.  

• Like 4

I menu plan.  I have a chalkboard in my kitchen and write out the menu for the week.  This serves two purposes: it keeps me on track to use the vegetables I get in my CSA, and it allows my nephew to identify the meals he does not want to eat (it varies, but always includes anything fish unless it is deep fried) and make plans for an alternate meal (usually leftovers from an earlier meal that he did like).  This week he passed on the fish dishes, and will not eat the Buddha bowls we are having tonight (he is having leftovers from the turkey tacos).  Here is this week's menu:

menu.thumb.jpg.8c457d34c5ec5dca82e8656fbbc98d1d.jpg

• Like 11

I too do some serious menu planning. Here's an example of approx one week plus of main meals. The major shopping run usually involves two stops: Berkeley bowl for fish and meat and vegetables and then a specialty shop for dry pasta, fresh mozz and other cheeses and deli meats. There are always changes and reversals. At least once or twice a week I try to make something that gives us leftovers. Typically we eat a long latish breakfast, rarely involving any cooking and then linner in the afternoon or early evening. Snacking occurs at odd hours; we don't plan a sit-down lunch. Sometimes we make a special run for seafood if we are in the mood. And when we are really low on supplies and I can't stand the idea of cooking we go for take out lox, bagels, etc and that's a meal, with sliced cucumber and radishes or whatever, to pretend we are having a vegetable. About half our meals are vegetarian or use a chicken or ham broth but no meat. No blackboard though that's very impressive! Just a miserable list of scribbles and cross-outs. 

Day One: shopping day. Always seafood of some kind.

Shrimp wonton soup with home made broth and choi sum. No, I don't make my own skins, good ones are    available.

2. Large caesar salad and sauteed corn with green chile. Probably some easy app or side.

3. Chicken stir fry with cabbage, choi sum, Chinese chives on rice. Extra rice made for next day.

4. Fried rice with a variety of veggies and a bit of smoky ham.

5. Pizza and a fennel salad. Three kind of pizza: radicchio and garlic, tomato, ham and pineapple, all with fresh mozz. Lots of slices left over.

6. Leftover pizza of course, and a very simple spinach gratin w/no cheese.

7.  Dan Dan rice noodle soup with the rest of the choi sum.

8. Eggplant pasta casserole and a fennel salad. Frank Bruni's mother's recipe--really good--no meat and minimal cheese. 

9. Leftover casserole and crudites; some scrounging.

10. Red beans and rice, using ham stock from the freezer. Leftover beans usually get frozen for some desperate evening.

Things I always have frozen: chicken breasts, marinara sauce and thick tomato sauce for pizza, , Italian sausage, two kinds of stock, roasted hot green chile, some kind of cooked beans, edamame and peas. The freezer is usually pretty crowded. 

Oh, and about corned beef. My dad, due I assume to some secret past, loved using canned corned beef to make hash. I assumed that corned beef was exclusively a canned product or only something sliced in a deli. Corn a beef? Huh?

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@Katie Meadow This one? I like the pared down nature of it. Will try.  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12213-eggplant-with-pasta

Yep, that's it. I use a little less marinara sauce than the recipe calls for.  I don't like it soupy and that way the edges of the top noodles get kind of crispy. Very simple; the only real labor is sautéing the eggplant slices. Takes patience and can't be rushed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

I’m very curious about this. Perhaps you could talk some more about it. I have recently rediscovered corned beef in the can. This sounds quite good. 

When I worked in the bush, the canned corned beef, that we always called Corned Herford after the brand name, was very far down the pecking order* of what you would eat when the food flight was delayed. But, if nothing else, someone would break into it out of boredom.

*the lowest of the low was whole chicken in a can of gelatine

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

17 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I menu plan.  I have a chalkboard in my kitchen and write out the menu for the week.  This serves two purposes: it keeps me on track to use the vegetables I get in my CSA, and it allows my nephew to identify the meals he does not want to eat (it varies, but always includes anything fish unless it is deep fried) and make plans for an alternate meal (usually leftovers from an earlier meal that he did like).  This week he passed on the fish dishes, and will not eat the Buddha bowls we are having tonight (he is having leftovers from the turkey tacos).  Here is this week's menu:

menu.thumb.jpg.8c457d34c5ec5dca82e8656fbbc98d1d.jpg

Where are your breakfast and lunch chalkboards?

My dinner planning starts about 4 PM, day of. Sometimes earlier.  

But let's take yesterday, which is the day after I got my reserved weekly delivery from Fresh Direct. Said delivery included 4 chicken thighs (FD is pissing me off because they appear to not be carrying the poulet rouge from Joyce Farms at the moment, so my weekly order of a whole Joyce Farms chicken has been shot to shit - it's my favorite bird, and it's a small bird at 2.5 lbs, not too big for the two of us), a package of wings (interestingly, they do carry this chicken from Cooks Venture, and the first of these chickens I tried was quite good, if way bigger than the poulet rouge I like so much - and yes, I'm done with battery chickens), 2 thick heritage pork chops, not much produce since I've been going to the farmer's market again, and a big canister of Clorox wipes (since they had them even though I don't use them much...preparing for the next wave!).

So after lunch, (a just-received delivery from Chef Collective, of cheeses, Sullivan St. Bakery breads (yes, the no-knead bread guy), and 1/2 lb. of prosciutto - I made sandwiches) I put up a pot of pre-soaked beans, cleaned up, cut up, and dry brined the just received chicken for the paella I was gonna make for dinner, with a quart of recently made chicken stock that wants to be used, since there is no room in the freezer.

Then I took a nap. When I woke up, I was having second thoughts about the paella, not because I didn't want paella, but because I didn't want to make the paella. Dinner plan - shot to hell.  Around 6 PM, I figured I better make something for dinner, as it's about the time Significant Eater starts asking about, you guessed it, dinner.

First, I cracked open a bottle of Beaujolais to calm her nerves. With a small bag of pretzels for her alongside, I could now hit the kitchen.

I did have a poached chicken breast from that giant Cooks Venture chicken. Poached in that stock, as a matter of fact. So I cut that up, heated up some previously made red chili sauce, and heated the chicken in that. I made a quick tomato/cucumber/red onion salad. The beans were done. And I had a beautiful Sullivan Street Bakery pizza bianca to serve alongside. Sig Eater was quite content.

Dinner plan? We don't need no stinkin' plans.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 9

Tasty Travails - My Blog

This brings up a memory - that stupid show on the Food Network, with Tyler Florence. Food Help, Food 911 - something like that, where he would go into someone's kitchen to help them make a meal.

Said "unsuspecting" person would have like an old peach, a recently shot dove, and a herring, and he would make a fabulous dinner out of it.

If this (I'll not use a derogatory word here, but think of all the ones you know!) food guy ever came into my kitchen, his freakin' head would spin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Where are your breakfast and lunch chalkboards?

My dinner planning starts about 4 PM, day of. Sometimes earlier.  

But let's take yesterday, which is the day after I got my reserved weekly delivery from Fresh Direct. Said delivery included 4 chicken thighs (FD is pissing me off because they appear to not be carrying the poulet rouge from Joyce Farms at the moment, so my weekly order of a whole Joyce Farms chicken has been shot to shit - it's my favorite bird, and it's a small bird at 2.5 lbs, not too big for the two of us), a package of wings (interestingly, they do carry this chicken from Cooks Venture, and the first of these chickens I tried was quite good, if way bigger than the poulet rouge I like so much - and yes, I'm done with battery chickens), 2 thick heritage pork chops, not much produce since I've been going to the farmer's market again, and a big canister of Clorox wipes (since they had them even though I don't use them much...preparing for the next wave!).

So after lunch, (a just-received delivery from Chef Collective, of cheeses, Sullivan St. Bakery breads (yes, the no-knead bread guy), and 1/2 lb. of prosciutto - I made sandwiches) I put up a pot of pre-soaked beans, cleaned up, cut up, and dry brined the just received chicken for the paella I was gonna make for dinner, with a quart of recently made chicken stock that wants to be used, since there is no room in the freezer.

Then I took a nap. When I woke up, I was having second thoughts about the paella, not because I didn't want paella, but because I didn't want to make the paella. Dinner plan - shot to hell.  Around 6 PM, I figured I better make something for dinner, as it's about the time Significant Eater starts asking about, you guessed it, dinner.

First, I cracked open a bottle of Beaujolais to calm her nerves. With a small bag of pretzels for her alongside, I could now hit the kitchen.

I did have a poached chicken breast from that giant Cooks Venture chicken. Poached in that stock, as a matter of fact. So I cut that up, heated up some previously made red chili sauce, and heated the chicken in that. I made a quick tomato/cucumber/red onion salad. The beans were done. And I had a beautiful Sullivan Street Bakery pizza bianca to serve alongside. Sig Eater was quite content.

Dinner plan? We don't need no stinkin' plans.

Yea that sounds about right. 😂. If it helps, I bought all the ingredients to make arroz con pollo and made chicken teriyaki! Now I have all the ingredients for arroz con pollo and no chicken! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6