• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the key to BCP

being in the BOS area

no matter

is :  More Cream in the layers

and more chocolate on the top

this rendition looks very tasty to me.

It is.  It's just as you describe.  I had some for lunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was filling out a form at a doctor’s appointment a few years ago that asked for both my date of birth and my age.  The patient rep looked at my form and said, “Well, which one of these is correct?  Because if your birthdate is correct your age isn’t.”  I have no idea how long I’d been saying I was the wrong age.  How the hell do you lose track of how old you are????

I’ve never minded telling my age.  As a matter of fact, I always say that I should add a few years to my actual age.  If you add years, people think you look great.  If you subtract, they whisper how awful you look! 

Happy Birthday, @Shelby!  I love that you got gyros for your birthday dinner! 

@SLB – not saying this is you, but I have to say that in my maternal family none of us had a sweet tooth – until middle age.  And then, we started craving sweets.  I hope this doesn’t scare you too badly.😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Shelby Happy belated birthday, that dinner looks amazing, exactly the kind of feast I'd love to have on a day like that. And don't worry so much about turning 46, I've been 46 for like 10 months now and it's not so baOH GOD IS 2020 ALL MY FAULT?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

My grammy never told her age either.

Happy birthday Shelby!   I always have to do the math to figure out my age. And my Gran’s response if you asked how old she was? “I am as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!”  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelbyhas set the bar...my birthday is in Feb., I am going to start researching...although to be honest, I could just drive to Russ and Daughters and hit a lot of my wish list...

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

A belated happy birthday to you, @Shelby! And, 45 or 46, you're still but an infant. And I would have been thrilled with your birthday dinner and presents! (though the duck legs mentioned on another topic would have been awfully nice, too...).

I was never a big birthday cake girl, either. As my birthday is June 25, just at the start of watermelon season, I often treated myself to a birthday watermelon. With one of those tiny holes cut out and then replaced...y'all know the drill.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Happy birthday Shelby!   I always have to do the math to figure out my age. And my Gran’s response if you asked how old she was? “I am as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!”  

Interesting!  My Mom always would respond,   “I’m as old as my little finger.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

This arrived yesterday...

1799827197_Amazon10-13.thumb.jpeg.6670db70225fb5907868676471732223.jpeg

Probably big enough to hold an Anova oven - fortunately, it was lighter and contained...

1294767489_Amazon10-13stuff.thumb.jpeg.7a8e6347c59e6994c1737772ed2bf235.jpeg

Snacks!  I know, I know - Orville Redenbacher popcorn (which, for some reason, I ordered 2 of). How gauche. But as popcorn eaters, we've tried a number of different types. Fancy schmancy, like this stuff...

1009703993_Popcornassorted.thumb.JPG.433a37ba655bb33ef7b16f4da75bb8a1.JPG

And you know what? We don't like it as much. I did kowtow to this, however...

806387410_Popcorn10-13.thumb.jpeg.03e86d8de328350fa8c42a6d4a1a4d08.jpeg

And how can I forget her?

529267526_MouseforRosie10-13.thumb.jpeg.4eacb42a88c0bceacc27eff304a907e3.jpeg

So far, she is pretending it doesn't exist. She'll break down eventually...they all do.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo I am with you guys on popcorn. I use the organic Kroger brand but if they are out I go with Orville. Someone gifted me those colored ones. Lots of duds and pretty chewy. The ones on the kernel I tried once (a gift) and since I can't recall the result - guessing not memorable, but probably an interesting experiment. I was surprised when reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder series how often popcorn popped up as a happy normal family thing.  (did I just type "happy normal family" on the prairie- heat is getting to me?!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

"Meat lovers rush to enter Hormel drawing for bacon-scented face masks"

Hormel has created bacon-scented face masks, and while you can't buy one, you can enter a drawing for a chance to win one.

..."Using the latest in bacon-smell technology and irresistibly breathable, two-ply fabric, finally, bacony bliss can be with you always -- even while out in public," the giveaway website reads. 

There is a link in the article which I've copied here (click) in case you would like to enter the contest which ends October 28th.. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Meat lovers rush to enter Hormel drawing for bacon-scented face masks"

There is a link in the article which I've copied here (click) in case you would like to enter the contest which ends October 28th.. 

All I could think of when I read about these bacon-scented masks was how many facial sutures might be needed when there were dogs in the vicinity. I am definitely going to give them a miss. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/2/2020 at 1:48 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shoprite had limes.  But not limes that I would buy.

Corner fruit and vegetable cart:

2123627051_Limes10-16.thumb.jpeg.ac46bfae67c020daccc05c4b7e0be6f1.jpeg

Also had colourful peppers, at 3 for $1. So...

663829707_Peppersroastinginside10-16.thumb.jpeg.bafe133d9682670584d769f5c754a209.jpeg

I took home 6, and did the roasting over a gas flame trick.

1796542109_Delivery10-16.thumb.jpeg.646ea8f10633074139fce25b688e2251.jpeg

And got some Indian spices for another foray into a seldom cooked by me cuisine. More coming. Why I bought the powder, when I could just grind the whole peppers, is something I can't quite figure out.

• Like 7

Tasty Travails - My Blog

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Corner fruit and vegetable cart:

2123627051_Limes10-16.thumb.jpeg.ac46bfae67c020daccc05c4b7e0be6f1.jpeg

Also had colourful peppers, at 3 for $1. So...

663829707_Peppersroastinginside10-16.thumb.jpeg.bafe133d9682670584d769f5c754a209.jpeg

I took home 6, and did the roasting over a gas flame trick.

1796542109_Delivery10-16.thumb.jpeg.646ea8f10633074139fce25b688e2251.jpeg

And got some Indian spices for another foray into a seldom cooked by me cuisine. More coming. Why I bought the powder, when I could just grind the whole peppers, is something I can't quite figure out.

Wow - a bag of key limes for $2 is a great price for NYC. Did you notice if it was a 1# bag?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Wow - a bag of key limes for $2 is a great price for NYC. Did you notice if it was a 1# bag?

I think they were regular limes, Ken. It was like a 2 lb. bag.  Essex Farm at Essex Market has beautiful key limes.

35 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

and ras el hanout!

What can I do with it? According to Paula Wolfert, there are like hundreds of different recipes and ingredients for it.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

51 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think they were regular limes, Ken. It was like a 2 lb. bag.  Essex Farm at Essex Market has beautiful key limes.

What can I do with it? According to Paula Wolfert, there are like hundreds of different recipes and ingredients for it.

Essex market always had great deals on limes. I haven't been in a long time but seeing 10 great quality limes for $1 was common then.

Also - love your kashmiri chili. I use it all the time when I make Indian food.

• Like 1

This week's CSA.  I am getting overrun with winter squash, because my Mom was leaving them behind when cherry picking what she wanted from my box while I was in Wellfleet.  I think I am going to make a roasted squash lasagna this week.  And, look at all of the daikon radishes!  I already have a quart of them pickled for banh mi.  Any other suggestions for what do do with them?

CSA.thumb.jpg.1a21ef7128b72259ca6132ee82351cb7.jpg

My CSA offered a 20% discount if you sign up for 2021 now, so my husband did.  He also got their tomato lovers CSA, their sweet corn and fruit share, and their sunflower share!  We are going to be up to our ears in vegetables next year, which is not a bad thing.  

• Like 7

22 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

And, look at all of the daikon radishes!  I already have a quart of them pickled for banh mi.  Any other suggestions for what do do with them?

Lovely vegetables.  They work in a quick sir fry with flavorings of your choice .  I enjoy daikon radish cakes in restaurants though I have never made them. The Slanted Door take looks good  https://asiandumplingtips.com/2009/11/vegetarian-daikon-radish-cakes-a-la-slanted-door-recipe-luo-bo-gao.html

Edited by heidih (log)

On 10/11/2020 at 12:14 PM, Anna N said:

I like the Satchel Paige quote: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" It's the kind of question you should ask yourself every year, on your birthday. (Though I have a friend who says that she has a "birthmonth" which means she gets to celebrate all month. Sounds good to me!)

• Like 4

Formerly "Nancy in CO"