• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Happy Birthday, @Shelby!  Wellfleets are delish - from what site did you order the oysters/cheeks/scallops?

My mom and stepdad got the cheeks and scallops etc. from Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle.  I've ordered from them many times and they always ship fresh product.  The oysters I ordered from Goldbelly--but you can order direct too from Wellfleet Shellfish

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I didn't get a picture of the bag, but part of what I ordered were 50 Wellfleet Oysters.  Oh they are so briny and fresh!

Happy Birthday Shelby!  Wellfleet oysters are the best 🙂

Another good source for Wellfleet oysters is Mac's Seafood.  He usually runs specials around the holidays.  

https://www.macsseafood.com/shop/fresh-seafood/all-our-shellfish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Holy shit.  Mom just informed me I'm 46.  😳  I've lost a year.  I'm dying laughing.

I was once at a birthday party for this guy whose wife had arranged the party.  Normally a cheerful fellow, he seemed down in the dumps.  Finally his wife said, "what's the matter with you Ralph?" In that voice that wives have.  He replied he was unhappy to have turned 50.  "Why Ralph, you just turned 49!"  He was quite surprised by this bit of news and proceeded to enjoy his party.  We had many a good laugh over that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I was once at a birthday party for this guy whose wife had arranged the party.  Normally a cheerful fellow, he seemed down in the dumps.  Finally his wife said, "what's the matter with you Ralph?" In that voice that wives have.  He replied he was unhappy to have turned 50.  "Why Ralph, you just turned 49!"  He was quite surprised by this bit of news and proceeded to enjoy his party.  We had many a good laugh over that.

I'm glad I'm not alone.  I still can't believe it.  I'm still cracking up. 

• Like 4

My family came down today.  First time I had seen them since last winter.  First time I had tasted restaurant food since last winter.  First time since last winter that I was further from my doorstep than I can walk.  Chocolate ice cream was had by all.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

Holy shit.  Mom just informed me I'm 46.  😳  I've lost a year.  I'm dying laughing.

Omg girl! Did you just forget? I remember from a PM ages ago that you were born in ‘74 😂

Hope you had a fabulous day! (Also pandemic birthdays don’t count. I turned 40 in March but since my birthday trip was cancelled I am not copping to being 40 yet!) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Omg girl! Did you just forget? I remember from a PM ages ago that you were born in ‘74 😂

Hope you had a fabulous day! (Also pandemic birthdays don’t count. I turned 40 in March but since my birthday trip was cancelled I am not copping to being 40 yet!) 

It appears @Shelby is a year younger than my little boy.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

This.Is.ADORABLE.  

I bet all of us, every single one, wouldn't mind a do-over of this past year, too.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I'm going with this.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shelby said:

My mother and her sister and their mother would never tell their ages.  

If asked, they replied with the Oscar Wilde quote, "One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything.”

A couple of nights ago, someone smashed their SUV into the pepper tree at the end of my drive way, flipping the vehicle, alarming my cats and requiring a 911 call to the CHP, who sent 2 officers to make a report. 

Since it was on my property, they requested my contact info.  When they asked my age, I reflexively responded with that same quote.  When they left, I dissolved in laughter, realizing that I had well and truly become my mother 🤣.

@Shelby, Happy belated birthday - you're just getting some practice in!  And I can't imagine a better birthday than puttering in the kitchen with fancy foods and a mimosa coming up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Yeah, I'm going with this year doesn't count either.

After recovering from the shock of being 46, I poured some wine and began wandering around the kitchen.....(I never did get a mimosa and life events prevented the early start of wine consumption....hoping to rectify that today 🤣).

As I said earlier, I ordered a lot from Goldbelly.  And, as I also said earlier, I've been obsessed with eating a gyro.  I googled a place in Houston that had a kit available called Niko Niko's.  Says they were voted best Greek food in Houston.  Plus, it was closer in distance that if I ordered from a place in NYC.  So I pulled the trigger.

Comes packaged like this:

thumbnail_IMG_8245.jpg.33cfc3ecfa3096bb0b92cdcb3fe071fc.jpg

All was nice a cold, no leaks.  Meat was still a tad frozen when I took it out of the fridge last evening.

Here it is opened up:

thumbnail_IMG_8259.jpg.fcd4ff2187e489989eb2589cd07a7683.jpg

From left to right:  Hummus, tzatziki, tomato (if I could have told them not to ship that, I would have...I used ours from the garden...frankly that tomato shouldn't be called a tomato), onions, pita and the gyro meat in the center.  

This was so easy and fun.  Totally hit my spot.  Ronnie really liked it too.  Meat was exactly as I wanted it.  I warmed it in the CSO for about 7 mins at 300F.  The pita I had laid out earlier and it didn't need any heating to make it nice and soft and pliable.  I usually cook my own bday meal and there's always dishes etc. to do, but not this time!!!  

For my cake, I also ordered from Goldbelly.   Boston Cream Pie is one of my favorites.  I've made it before from scratch, but, again, I didn't want to this year.  We ate ...a lot of it.  I might have had a bite in the middle of the night, too....

thumbnail_IMG_8262.jpg.2a0c437265211ede1685a0eb8fd914f6.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My mother and her sister and their mother would never tell their ages.  

If asked, they replied with the Oscar Wilde quote, "One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything.”

A couple of nights ago, someone smashed their SUV into the pepper tree at the end of my drive way, flipping the vehicle, alarming my cats and requiring a 911 call to the CHP, who sent 2 officers to make a report. 

Since it was on my property, they requested my contact info.  When they asked my age, I reflexively responded with that same quote.  When they left, I dissolved in laughter, realizing that I had well and truly become my mother 🤣.

@Shelby, Happy belated birthday - you're just getting some practice in!  And I can't imagine a better birthday than puttering in the kitchen with fancy foods and a mimosa coming up!

My grammy never told her age either.  I remember one time I got her wallet out of her purse and looked at her driver's license.  She was NOT happy lol.

I hope those people AND your tree are ok!

Thank you and everyone for the birthday wishes.  It was a good day :) 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

My grammy never told her age either.  I remember one time I got her wallet out of her purse and looked at her driver's license.  She was NOT happy lol.

I hope those people AND your tree are ok!

Thank you and everyone for the birthday wishes.  It was a good day :) 

My granny was really pissed when the Queen sent her congratulations for her 90th birthday!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

41 minutes ago, Shelby said:

For my cake, I also ordered from Goldbelly.   Boston Cream Pie is one of my favorites.  I've made it before from scratch, but, again, I didn't want to this year.  We ate ...a lot of it.  I might have had a bite in the middle of the night, too....

thumbnail_IMG_8262.jpg.2a0c437265211ede1685a0eb8fd914f6.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHELBY!

Other than a good apple pie I adore Boston Cream Pie!  Maybe next year we can share!

Here is to a happy and HEALTHY next revolution around the sun and happy times with Ronnie, puppies and kitties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites