• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

18 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@FranciI was going to suggest fish head curry!  It would be enough for 20 people!

🤣 20 people. Do you have a link to a recipe bwt? Plenty of recipes on line but if you have a trusty source, better. 

5 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

The cooked meat from the head might make great fish cakes!

Good idea! Curious to see how much meat we can get from the head. I will report back! 

• Like 1

That fish head is calling to me roasted, outside venue, with friends, slow afternoon picking the meat and having  good time. Maybe just a light acidy dip on the side. Of course the curry resonates as well but we like the leisurely picking. I look forward to whatever path you play with.

• Like 1

1017999130_GreatAlaska10-02IMG_2477.jpeg.225c294485f8630a59f643ceb4a788ad.jpeg

I went to the docks today too.  

OK - I got a delivery from Great Alaska Seafood.... 3 lbs. wild shrimp, 2 lbs. big ass scallops, sushi grade tuna (flash frozen), wild salmon, halibut. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Franci said:

🤣 20 people. Do you have a link to a recipe bwt? Plenty of recipes on line but if you have a trusty source, better. 

I haven't made it, ever, as I never have access to fish heads without the rest of the fish attached.  This looks like it would be pretty good as it seems like it has all the right ingredients but I've never tried it.

https://www.nyonyacooking.com/recipes/fish-head-curry~HyPIdPjvf5-Q

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I haven't made it, ever, as I never have access to fish heads without the rest of the fish attached.  This looks like it would be pretty good as it seems like it has all the right ingredients but I've never tried it.

https://www.nyonyacooking.com/recipes/fish-head-curry~HyPIdPjvf5-Q

🙏 saving the link 

A new bakery has opened in the neighborhood. But in an interesting millennial twist, they are only open for retail on Saturdays and Sundays (so far). And of course there has been a line there each time they're open. Anyway - this morning I bit the bullet, as there were only a dozen or so people waiting when I arrived at 8:15 A.M. Still took a fucking hour. 

It's called Mel the Bakery.

Naturally-leavened sourdough breads and pastry. Mel is a primarily wholesale bakery, but will be open to the community for retail bread and pastry on the weekends. Bread available for pick-up everyday noon- 7:00p.m. except Tuesdays.

36830590_Melsbreadalot10-03(1).thumb.jpeg.61c23050d0bd8a36d3e3587341973b29.jpeg

So I figured, just buy almost everything.

1390392678_Melsbaguettecrumb(1).thumb.jpeg.8fec6284f3af88d35146bf90185e6e58.jpeg

While not a classic French baguette style (or what I think I know to be a French baguette style), very good. You gotta like crusty because this stuff is crusty. Well baked, I might add.

97677852_MelsTwoloaves(1).thumb.jpeg.555c87ccddad9c0ef7c41c98bf77eac9.jpeg

These boules cut in half to freeze. The nigella seeded rye (on the right) is good; haven't tried the sesame thing, which might be spelt. Croissants were quite okay, so maybe they've solved an early problem of undercooking - or - we got lucky. i did ask about ordering in advance for pickup; they're still dealing only with wholesale for that. But are "working on it" for retail customers.

And I don't know how many they made, but they were already sold out of the rugbrød (which I wanted) at 9 .

Very earnest crew.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

!A new bakery has opened in the neighborhood. But in an interesting millennial twist, they are only open for retail on Saturdays and Sundays (so far). And of course there has been a line there each time they're open. Anyway - this morning I bit the bullet, as there were only a dozen or so people waiting when I arrived at 8:15 A.M. Still took a fucking hour. 

It's called Mel the Bakery.

Ha!  Have you ever been to PB Boulangerie in Wellfleet?  Same damn thing.  One time I was waiting in the interminable line and this guy pushed all the way up to the front and started yelling "All I want is a loaf of bread!    What do I have to do to get a loaf of fucking bread??"  I yelled back:  "Go to the end of the line!  We are all in line for a loaf of fucking bread!" Wait...he had a New York accent.  Was it you?  😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Ha!  Have you ever been to PB Boulangerie in Wellfleet?  Same damn thing.  One time I was waiting in the interminable line and this guy pushed all the way up to the front and started yelling "All I want is a loaf of bread!    What do I have to do to get a loaf of fucking bread??"  I yelled back:  "Go to the end of the line!  We are all in line for a loaf of fucking bread!" Wait...he had a New York accent.  Was it you?  😆

Could be @weinoo .  I noticed he has expanded his vocabulary lately.🙂

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

The question is:

Was that you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Yesterday, since I was in the neighborhood, I made my first excursion to the Union Square greenmarket.  Mondays are generally the slowest greenmarket day in terms of how many farmers/vendors come out, but still at least a dozen were there.

Beautiful stuff this time of year, and this is everyone's mantra:

1092720273_donttouch!.jpg.f206811943345636b04985fe8692a96a.jpg

I purchased a nice, full bag of these, and cooked them for @Shelby!

338522272_Shisitos10-05.jpeg.7f5e5159c28a29db1f78fc29c3759209.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 10/4/2020 at 2:35 PM, curls said:

snacks for patio visit (much of this came from Trader Joe's)
sweet: brownie bites - great recipe from @sarahdwyer https://www.facebook.com/sbear72/videos/10218497881650668.

1967037406_IMG_6294-2020September13-snacks.jpg.2efd70097db0bc13dfe86780b0d9a0f4.jpg

Very nice.

The square plates have an American Airlines Admiral's Club look to them. I just got a burst of nostalgia....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yesterday, since I was in the neighborhood, I made my first excursion to the Union Square greenmarket.  Mondays are generally the slowest greenmarket day in terms of how many farmers/vendors come out, but still at least a dozen were there.

Buy produce without touching.  Fanabla

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

338522272_Shisitos10-05.jpeg.7f5e5159c28a29db1f78fc29c3759209.jpeg

I got mine in the mail the other day --shipping took forever but they were in great shape!  I ordered more yesterday. :) I know they are expensive, but addicts must pay what they must pay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Buy produce without touching.  Fanabla

That's a sign I photographed when we were in Bologna a number of years ago. I prefer the European way!

52 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I got mine in the mail the other day --shipping took forever but they were in great shape!  I ordered more yesterday. :) I know they are expensive, but addicts must pay what they must pay.

Tell me about it. They also had red ones, which I will get next time.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Today’s fish is mahi-mahi. I have roe as well. Not an expert cooking roe. I cooked shad roe a couple of times, sautéed  in butter and eaten on toast. I cooked this time with shiitake and escarole first. In a clean pan sautéed some of the fillets and two roes, dredged in flour before, the membrane was too tough for my liking. I didn’t think pan was too hot but maybe it was...suggestions? I have two more

5701C248-1C3A-4CC2-8128-CF4D03EFD8E8.jpeg

89A0B114-8E4C-4167-9F89-4377E701F5C8.jpeg

06FE61E2-7359-43AE-B4C3-12035785687C.jpeg

FCE89E40-CC1F-42C5-9510-F2C2FB0C63E0.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Franci said:

Today’s fish is mahi-mahi. I have roe as well. Not an expert cooking roe. I cooked shad roe a couple of times, sautéed  in butter and eaten on toast. I cooked this time with shiitake and escarole first. In a clean pan sautéed some of the fillets and two roes, dredged in flour before, the membrane was too tough for my liking. I didn’t think pan was too hot but maybe it was...suggestions? I have two more

89A0B114-8E4C-4167-9F89-4377E701F5C8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Interesting this guy talking about stages of the roes 

My guess is that some roes are better than other roes for cooking/eating.

I have friends who love shad roe; me - I can take it or leave it. 

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

For all of you home canners out there regarding the lack of Ball jars and lids during the Pandemic:

"All that time in the kitchen during this pandemic has led to a nationwide shortage of Mason jars"

The increase in the number of people cooking and trying recipes during the pandemic has led to a surge in canning -- because experienced canners are doing it more and novices want to give it a try.

And that surge has led to a shortage in Mason jars and lids.
"There's so many more people canning this year than have ever canned. We have seen a big upswing in new people trying to can," said Nellie Oehler, the coordinator for Oregon's statewide food preservation hotline, who added she's been answering lots of calls from around the nation about the lack of supply.

Though the CNN reporter got it wrong when trying to blame the Pandemic yeast shortage on the growing interest in Sourdough baking a few months back. Regular sourdough gets its yeast from the air, not from a package.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Nice to hear a positive growth story. There is a strong small Indonesian community here. Too far for me to access though I went to some of the festival markets in the past. Food sounds really good. https://la.eater.com/2020/10/6/21499391/medan-kitchen-rosemead-los-angeles-indonesian-takeout-restaurant

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, weinoo said:

My guess is that some roes are better than other roes for cooking/eating.

I have friends who love shad roe; me - I can take it or leave it. 

My mother was crazy for shad roe. She used to wrap it in bacon and saute it. I take one bite and find it amazing. Then after another bite I get overwhelmed by how rich it is. I would much rather have the shad. So delicious! A fish you don't see on the west coast. Citarella would bone it for you. Or at least they did in the past.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

My mother was crazy for shad roe. She used to wrap it in bacon and saute it. I take one bite and find it amazing. Then after another bite I get overwhelmed by how rich it is. I would much rather have the shad. So delicious! A fish you don't see on the west coast. Citarella would bone it for you. Or at least they did in the past.

That's a Really Big Deal, 'cause those suckers are not lacking for bones.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

thumbnail_IMG_8241.jpg.ed086054c02c2aac794e7e4a76900994.jpgI had to go to the smaller town grocery store to pick up meds at the pharmacy inside the store.   As always, I did a quick shop of a few staples that we needed.  I had to get lettuce.  Turned the corner to check out when out of the corner of my eye I spotted what looked like SHISHITO PEPPERS!!!!!!!!  HUGE cardboard box full.  I bought probably 3 lbs.  Happy dance.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1