• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Not really - i generally wrap in paper towels after removing anything which might not be in good shape, the roots in a damp paper towel, and into a plastic bag, and into the fridge - I get the longest life out of them that way. The biggest problem is that they arrive cold and I want to keep them cold as quickly as possilbe; if they warm up, the condensation is not good

Paper towels and vegetables - a match made in heaven. Ah the cold. There is an excellent article (Portrait of a Farmer as a Young Man -  in the book "edible" pg 125 (authors Ryder and Topalian) by the husband of @chardgirl about keeping the vegetables cold (buying ice from liquor stores while avoiding being robbed at gunpoint) back in the day. He was headed to restaurants in San Francisco. 

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

I have a green thumb!

IMG_1924.jpeg.eced18d8dcc10aa494efc5bb8f9373f9.jpeg

A mere 2 T of seeds has already filled up the liter jar. What the hell do I do now?

IMO, these sprouts are crying out for some Korean food treatment. (Namul.)

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

and the bagels?

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Yup

And don't forget, those bagels don't only have water IN them, they are boiled IN that NYC water. Some of the best water in the country.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

And don't forget, those bagels don't only have water IN them, they are boiled IN that NYC water. Some of the best water in the country.

I will never get over my disappointment of visiting a friend who actually lived in Chelsea and waking up in the morning to Lender's bagels from the freezer for breakfast.  😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I will never get over my disappointment of visiting a friend who actually lived in Chelsea and waking up in the morning to Lender's bagels from the freezer for breakfast.  😳

Oy.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

17 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Terroir, c'est vrai? Same for dirty water dogs I suppose. 

I think that recycled dog water is a different animal. Its like hot dog stock

• Like 1

Nice except for "he who shall not be named". Fennel in a citrusy salad is so refreshing in warm weather. Tomatoes for snacking and the rest on the grill with your favorite olive oil and some acid. OK - I am there. Crusty bread please. 

I am one of those people who don't like green bell peppers, although I like many fresh green varieties of New Mexican chile, which I roast and use in a variety of dishes.  I can't stand bell peppers raw in salads or on pizza. That said, one green bell pepper is all it takes to make a big pot of red beans and rice. After a couple of hours of cooking with onions, garlic, celery, smoked ham or ham stock, good quality beans and all the usual suspect herbs and spices you won't know it's there. 

@Katie Meadow 

I might .

bells must be sufficiently different from other chie's

I always prefer  green chile to red , of the non-bell varieties

I was going to make Green Chili flakes

some Thai Green , serrano , jalapeño 

but didn't get around to it.   the dehydrator for this project

( on sale , naturally 0  is rising comfortably in its box

maybe after a few Vac's  Ill venture out and do this

red pepper flakes are standard on pizza

Im sure green chili flakes would be much much better

interesting you cant easily buy them

my sister sent me some from N.Mexico

and i cherished them

So, yes, we went to the fishmonger again. We got a mangrove snapper, 2 snapper heads, clams and 2 orate (sea breams) which I suspect are imported from Greece and these taste nice but since I know @heidihis going to ask, they taste different than the wild sea breams because they are fattier than the wild ones and it’s all saying since sea bream is a fattier fish to start in comparison to branzino.  I think we’ll go more often with the mangrove snapper that is half the price, local and wild. 

ED73967C-83AF-480E-91C4-BFEAB07B5F8A.jpeg

• Like 6

So mangrove snapper is actually a lazy fish from the dense mangroves - chubby I guess ;)  Being on the west coast I find the different fish fascinating. My favorite cashier at Kroger fishes a lot and often often off the rocks in Santa Monica Bay.  It is the bay I can see from the front of my place - though I am up high. Crabs for @Franci  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Franci said:

Loved the video, thank you @heidih!

And those dolphins =- always. My surfer friends tell amazing tales. The big big spider crabs we usually get at Captain Kidd's overlooking the water. Sweet firm flesh.  https://captainkidds.com/

Edited by heidih (log)

Deliveries this week included some weirdness:

487151887_Japaneseweirdness08-26.jpeg.bdd6e99c0a803afe594f55f3893f6f29.jpeg

Oh yeah, I was watching a video about chirashi prep, and this is the specific brand recommended.  If I grow a third eye, you'll know why. I'm quite interested in trying this allegedly 100%  wasabi powder, and I think the stuff in the tube is also alleged to be pure.

Moving to France:

280248417_ComteIMG_1935.jpeg.2919aee64c1eb3ca7b28dddf9c00d0c2.jpeg

One of our favorite cheeses, this is a 30-month age Comté. And it's freakin' delicious.

Ain't that America:

1362891818_TomatoesHepworth08-25.jpeg.21471a9a724510663e0c5cc8c93a085c.jpeg

Mini-heirlooms. From an upstate NY farm, women-owned, via Fresh Direct.  One of the reasons I don't mind Fresh Direct is because they help some of these smaller farms sell their product, and that's good for the farmers and customers.  

They taste as good as they look.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Deliveries this week included some weirdness:

487151887_Japaneseweirdness08-26.jpeg.bdd6e99c0a803afe594f55f3893f6f29.jpeg

Oh yeah, I was watching a video about chirashi prep, and this is the specific brand recommended.  If I grow a third eye, you'll know why. I'm quite interested in trying this allegedly 100%  wasabi powder, and I think the stuff in the tube is also alleged to be pure.

Moving to France:

280248417_ComteIMG_1935.jpeg.2919aee64c1eb3ca7b28dddf9c00d0c2.jpeg

One of our favorite cheeses, this is a 30-month age Comté. And it's freakin' delicious.

Ain't that America:

1362891818_TomatoesHepworth08-25.jpeg.21471a9a724510663e0c5cc8c93a085c.jpeg

Mini-heirlooms. From an upstate NY farm, women-owned, via Fresh Direct.  One of the reasons I don't mind Fresh Direct is because they help some of these smaller farms sell their product, and that's good for the farmers and customers.  

They taste as good as they look.

Nice haul.  I got those mini-heirlooms from Fresh Direct last week.  While I thought some of them better than others (the round orange ones I found really sweet), all in all I was slightly disappointed because none of them had that intense tomato flavor that I got when I grew my own in my living room. Then again, those probably wouldn't have survived shipping 100 feet, forget about from upstate!  But I guess I let my expectations get the best of me.  Or maybe it was just me and my slightly out of whack sense of taste/smell...  But they were the same price as the Campari tomatoes I usually get (when they're not on sale) so at least they weren't horrendously expensive.