• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

6 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Mine just showed up!   Perfectly warmed by the SW record heat wave.  

Oddly these nuts are very small.  Tiny.  I warmed them in the CSO.  Tasty enough and a reasonable value for the price.  I hesitate to think what gets served in steerage.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Behold, folks! I have discovered a cure for covid-19 :D:D

Dr. Fauci commented today that Asian countries have been able to successfully controlled covid-19 infections. He gave many explanations how they achieved their success. I have also seen a few other reports regarding Asian counties' dramatic  ability to limit covid-19 damages.

Many scientific  reasons have been given, cultural differences, political systems, genetics, ---etc. None can really satisfactorily explain why.

Of course , those scientists are too myopic. They have missed one glaring factor that is common to all those countries, they all eat Asian food!!

I have been have fun eating and cooking Asian inspired foods. 

Don't we all look for excuses to try different cooking? This can be interesting.

Stay safe.

dcarch

Not funny

I hope I am not going off topic.

Obviously Asian cooking is a big topic here in this forum. However, I haven't not seen much discussions about food as medicine.

Food as medicine is very important in Asian cooking. Every Chinese mother is a medicinal doctor. Many bigger Chinese stores have an area for medicinal supplies for folk medicine.

In addition to wondering why Asian countries have so little problem with covid-19, if you look into it, you will also find that many Asian countries also are way on top of the life expectancy scale.

As I indicated, it makes cooking fun to try different ideas.

dcarch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 9:21 AM, weinoo said:

Uh oh...

1684446217_Beansprouts.jpeg.e142778787c4a1247c0d185a2d3ef4b4.jpeg

I'm becoming a 1970's era California hippie.

Seriously, when I lived in California in the 70s, I was growing sprouts - we'd put them (in that case, alfalfa sprouts) on avocado and cheese sandwiches (help me). Now, I want them around (and don't want to buy them) for Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese cooking. And, I guess, occasionally into a salad.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:46 AM, Okanagancook said:

I shall be interested in seeing how you get on with growing these.  I have tried many times but have never grown sprouts big enough to warrant the trouble.

I have a green thumb!

IMG_1924.jpeg.eced18d8dcc10aa494efc5bb8f9373f9.jpeg

A mere 2 T of seeds has already filled up the liter jar. What the hell do I do now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

44 minutes ago, rotuts said:

one does not necessarily connect itself to the other

as im sure you know , they may be independent events

or not.

Heck my Croatian dad turned 98 today, is ambling around trying to scrub MY dishes and ate beef (butcher) and potatoes most pf his life. Genetics mostly kids ;) 

50 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I have a green thumb!

A mere 2 T of seeds has already filled up the liter jar. What the hell do I do now?

48 minutes ago, kayb said:

Get you some whole wheat bread, some Brie, and an avocado....

Get going on those Asian dishes you wanted to cook....

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

57 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I have a green thumb!

My phone which defaults to NYC is telling me now 70C and thundershowers. They wilt right down in soup. People in humid climates often use soup as human A/C =- sweat and cool yourself down.  Also good in a very light dressing - like just nuoc mam. Oh and yes dear man you do have a "green thumb" - what is next?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@heidih I think your phone is wrong... first of all 70C is just crazy - was that a typo?  It's currently 70F and raining... certainly not sweating weather!!

The phone is not the problem - my typing is and the lack of sleep! Sorry! I appreciate the correction. Soup though is always a good plan in any weather for me ;)

• Haha 1

Some stuff showed up this morning. 

1926655291_Herbs08-18.jpeg.58584bb38e84a7613a2956cf1704ba3f.jpeg

I love it when herbs come with their roots still attached and dirt still attached to the roots. Nice and fresh.

1196432663_FrogHollow08-18IMG_1922.jpeg.fa7f0cf127c2efa2aa8923a6584bbc13.jpeg

Obviously, these would be better if I was closer to the source, but then I'd be closer to the source, which wouldn't necessarily be better.

I see another sherbet or ice using part of the haul.

• Like 6

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo, as much as I admire the idea of the Frog Hollow Farm produce, I've been unwilling to spend the money for them. Please let us know what you think of these.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

one does not necessarily connect itself to the other

as im sure you know , they may be independent events

or not.

True.

However, "you are what you eat".  In addition to many medicinal food ingredients (Ginseng, ginger, etc) Asians use a lot of fermented ingredients, soy sauce, thousand-year-eggs, Kimchi, fermented fish sauce----etc. Isn't it true that "Penicillin (PCN or pen) is a group of antibiotics, derived originally from common moulds".

I am not that serious about this. The point is it makes cooking more interesting.

dcarch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Some stuff showed up this morning. 

1926655291_Herbs08-18.jpeg.58584bb38e84a7613a2956cf1704ba3f.jpeg

I love it when herbs come with their roots still attached and dirt still attached to the roots. Nice and fresh.

Beautiful. I can almost smell the dirt - a good thing. Do you store them in water?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Your sprout growing prowess is impressive!  Must be the NYC water! 😃

Isn't that exactly what they say about the pizza ;)  

@weinoo 

fantastic on the roots.   if you can spare a few ' plants '

see if they can survive in an inch or two of water , in a 1 qt container

w or w/o sunlight for the first few days .  if in bright sun initially

they may die until they figure out they've been given a reprieve 

Ive done this w Green onions w minimal roots attached for a long time

they actually grow.  Cilantro :  no such luck.  but w or w/o roots

in a 1 qt contianer , very loosely covered w a plastic bag , in the refrig

they last much longer , than in the ' veg drawer '

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

Beautiful. I can almost smell the dirt - a good thing. Do you store them in water?

Not really - i generally wrap in paper towels after removing anything which might not be in good shape, the roots in a damp paper towel, and into a plastic bag, and into the fridge - I get the longest life out of them that way. The biggest problem is that they arrive cold and I want to keep them cold as quickly as possilbe; if they warm up, the condensation is not good

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

47 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@weinoo, as much as I admire the idea of the Frog Hollow Farm produce, I've been unwilling to spend the money for them. Please let us know what you think of these.

You should only know what a scoop of ice cream in my neighborhood shop costs! (let's just say an ice cream for each of us is quite a bit more than a Hamilton).

If I can make a quart of ice cream out of a pound of stone fruit, I'll be way ahead of the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog