• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

I went 4 bags - but I was hoping to see more info about the nuts also, @JoNorvelleWalker.

More Thai stuff!

936682038_Thaiingredients08-07IMG_1836.jpeg.016057834bcfd6f94a9417291db67a32.jpeg

Don't know how the dried is, but since I have trouble sourcing fresh galangal, I figured I'd give this a try.

I'm not a huge fan of dried galangal... to me, it's totally different.  If I can't get fresh, I'd rather use frozen galangal, then thinly slice while frozen (don't defrost whole).  FYI, the H-Mart in Ktown usually has fresh galangal and always has frozen galangal.  Also, the SE Asian market on Mulberry just north of Bayard (I don't know if they're still open - I haven't been there since pre-COVID times) always had frozen galangal as well as a great ingredient not seen often - frozen grachai.  Finely shredded grachai is amazing in red curry - Kiin Thai (a sister of Somtum Der) used to do it that way before they closed.  It's also great in stir-fries along with kaffir lime leaves and fresh peppercorns.  Also, the Bangkok grocery on Mosco used to have fresh galangal but I haven't been there in a long time either.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, weinoo said:

I went 4 bags - but I was hoping to see more info about the nuts also, @JoNorvelleWalker.

More Thai stuff!

936682038_Thaiingredients08-07IMG_1836.jpeg.016057834bcfd6f94a9417291db67a32.jpeg

Don't know how the dried is, but since I have trouble sourcing fresh galangal, I figured I'd give this a try.

Now, as far as the next purchases are concerned...

1525809239_Doritos08-07.jpeg.d2f375284c19c46dcca31688d0901470.jpeg

SKME1194.jpeg.6d4c8c2c12af36c517b518c09703b931.jpeg

Staying off the computer after dinner, after wine, after other mind-altering substances; well, that might not be a bad idea.

Yeah.  I've done the same thing and I mean the same.  The Pepperidge farm dark chocolate Milano cookies are here now---welll like 3 cookies.  I hid the bag from Ronnie.  Well, not hid, but I didn't tell him it was there.  And here's the thing.  I've never bought them in my life until now.  

I also have some ridiculous life saver chewy candy.  What am I????  10 years old????

Sigh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yeah.  I've done the same thing and I mean the same.  The Pepperidge farm dark chocolate Milano cookies are here now---welll like 3 cookies.  I hid the bag from Ronnie.  Well, not hid, but I didn't tell him it was there.  And here's the thing.  I've never bought them in my life until now.  

I also have some ridiculous life saver chewy candy.  What am I????  10 years old????

Sigh.

You married the wrong person.   You pick someone with opposite tastes so you each have your own secure supply/stash.   

• Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

Sweet and salty "junk food" is a category we have never indulged in...until Grocery Outlet came to our neighborhood..     Premium brands of cookies, chocolate, snack crackers, even cheese and charcuterie, jump into our cart.    We are exposed to esoteric brands and unusual flavors that are not carried at our usual markets, offered at "why even debate it" prices.    As well as test flavors of ice cream (STeve's, 3 Twins, Straus and friends).    .   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

28 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have a weakness for salty/savory snacks.

I polished of a (small) bag of Gardetto's Roasted Garlic Rye Chips yesterday.

Then I put two more bags into my online grocery shopping cart.

Gardetto's

Now you reminded me of the little rye crackers I used to get at Trader Joes - excellent with the housemade mushroom Leberwurst from the German deli. I keep a wish list and when I order I try to be sensible but then convince myself that I am not spending money on anything else now.... 

• Like 2

I have not posted my CSA box in a while.  Here is what I got on Friday.  Four (!) heads of lettuce, swiss chard (not my favorite, but I will think of something to do with it), beefsteak tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, fairytale eggplants, shisito peppers, poblano peppers, sweet lunchbox peppers, onions, garlic (hidden in this photo), cucumbers, and kohlrabi.

share.thumb.jpg.9f255338ff1e6d8d65f80ab86eeeb10f.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

22 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I have not posted my CSA box in a while.  Here is what I got on Friday.  Four (!) heads of lettuce, swiss chard (not my favorite, but I will think of something to do with it), beefsteak tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, fairytale eggplants, shisito peppers, poblano peppers, sweet lunchbox peppers, onions, garlic (hidden in this photo), cucumbers, and kohlrabi.

The kid down the street would wax poetic about the chard from grammy's garden with butter. I tried that pickle the stems thing once - waste of time. Some use them in a gratin.  Rest of box lovely as well. (well pretty but I don't like those kinds of peppers)

• Like 2

Nice.  I have only had two deliveries so far but I get so much of the same thing I give some to my neighbour.  To be fair, I check off what I want, don't want and what I am neutral on.  We have the ability to swap some items.  This week I got 3! Fat bunches of cilantro, 2 of basil, 1 dill and 1 thyme.  Also, some really nice green onions, beans, lettuce, and a big zucchini.  I can't remember offhand if there was anything else or not.  I'm looking forward to, in particular, beets, potatoes and tomatoes.  As I am on a two week delivery, the tomatoes at least, should be coming soon.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

share.thumb.jpg.9f255338ff1e6d8d65f80ab86eeeb10f.jpg

Would love to see what you make with these little eggplants. That is a lot of lettuce!

34 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Would love to see what you make with these little eggplants. That is a lot of lettuce!

@shain did a slow roast of the eggplant and tomatoes. Then into a pasta prep. I've done it twice now. Excellent.  Oh and don;t fprget that lettuce can be cooked - in the pan or on the grill. You really get the flavor

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I'd stir-fry the chard with garlic like I would with any kind of choi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

2 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Nice - I'm getting a pound of fairytales tomorrow in a delivery - I've heard they're good in Thai-style curries.

And just last night, I did a sorta braise with tofu in oyster sauce - I had a bunch of lettuce that was on its way to wilting, so I shredded it and added it at the end of the braise - it was great!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Well, it appears I am about to join the ranks of the statistics; had my COVID test yesterday, after I woke up with a fever of 102. Down around 100 today (thank you, Tylenol and Ibuprofen,) and I'm awaiting results later this week.

Far from having lost a sense of taste and smell, though, I'm hungry as a horse. So far, I'm contemplating making about half a dozen things I've seen on here in the last 24 hours, though I think picadillo is standing at the head of the list, but curried chicken is not far behind. I woke up this morning craving bacon and eggs. It has been a year since I had bacon and eggs.

I'm on an antibiotic in case it's a sinus infection, which the dull headache centered in my forehead indicates it might be. 

• Sad 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

19 hours ago, MokaPot said:

I am planning on stir frying them with some baby bok choy and topping with seared salmon for dinner tomorrow night.  We are slowly working through the lettuce!  

I found out this morning that my nephew's college is now 100% remote for the fall.  He was supposed to head back next Monday.  I'm not holding out much hope for my niece's college either.  The decimation of my food budget continues...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I am planning on stir frying them with some baby bok choy and topping with seared salmon for dinner tomorrow night.  We are slowly working through the lettuce!  

Do you cut them up?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

not who you asked but I split them lengthwise and quarter lengthwise  if bigger then true "baby". My one god daughter adores them steamed with dried Chinese sausage and served with lots of rice or all in a multi tier steamer together. 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:13 PM, liamsaunt said:

... beefsteak tomatoes ...

Want! Looks beautiful.

I have no idea where to find heirloom tomatoes here in southern California's Inland Empire.

• Sad 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Want! Looks beautiful.

I have no idea where to find heirloom tomatoes here in southern California's Inland Empire.

If you have a Bristol Farms store out there they usually have them if no farmers market around. Even my Ralphs/Kroger usually stocks them And they are quite good