• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

First observation:  In the big grocery store there are signs every 2 feet telling people masks are mandatory (many not wearing one grrrrrrrr....) and signs every 6 feet telling people to distance (many people waaaaaay too close including store employees).  Then, in the Asian Market not one sign telling people masks were mandatory (every single person had one on AND WAS WEARING IT CORRECTLY) and not one sign telling people to distance (and NOT ONE PERSON got within 6 feet of me).  If not for the Asian market not having a few things (they aren't big on milk and cheese products there) then I'd ONLY go there.

16 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  My experience shopping resembled yours.  At the Asian store, everyone wore a mask.  In the non-Asian stores, not so much.  This city has now made them mandatory so pretty much everyone wears one now.

It's a cultural thing for sure; in a number of Asian countries, masks have been de rigueur for quite a while (I'' thinking pre-covid). As a courtesy to others, especially if one is feeling ill.

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Right -I spoke with my Krpget guys a while back. They stock constantly but there is NO storage space - I have been "in the back"

Are those the guys who come from Klingon?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

It's a cultural thing for sure; in a number of Asian countries, masks have been de rigueur for quite a while (I'' thinking pre-covid). As a courtesy to others, especially if one is feeling ill.

Are those the guys who come from Klingon?

Kroger (hand issues)

On 7/31/2020 at 8:53 AM, weinoo said:

I bought the one she recommends on the site.  I don’t have a microwave so I’ll have to work it out!

This is the palm sugar I like....  Let me know what you think of the one you have - maybe I'd like it even more?

20200801_172718.thumb.jpg.438db6317b2b382ee042c73ba3819bf3.jpg

20200801_172711_HDR.thumb.jpg.ed96b4bab8ea784ace11951e6554f089.jpg

Under the caption of "barking", we stopped at a favorite fruit stand.    Owner/grower/daughter had on mask.   I had on mask.    Late middle aged woman with upscale car did not.   She was ahead of me and had accumulated a half dozen purchases.    Had trouble with her handbag.   Then with her coin purse.   Then getting her stuff to her car.   Had to come back with more correct change and to collect final purchases.    I am standing some 10 feet from her and point of sale.   She turns to me and beams.    "Aren't you just thrilled that they're open?    I mean, I'm just so thrilled....."   As she realizes that I am not going to engage her in small talk.   "Well, have a nice day."     I refrained from responding,  "Find your mask, dimwit."  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 10:22 AM, dtremit said:

Yeah -- I only speak (a bit of) German but obviously there's a lot of similarities, particularly in "everyday" vocabulary. I was just curious if the parallel could shed some light on the original use of the knife -- it seems like it might have been something very useful for making minced meat in the days before grinders.

In stumbling around the web this afternoon I came upon an 1895 Pennsylvania Dutch to English dictionary that defines hockmesser as cleaver.

https://archive.org/stream/commonsensepenns01lins/commonsensepenns01lins_djvu.txt

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Translated, chop knife.  In Dutch it is a hakmes

Though Pennsylvania Dutch are Low German, not Dutch.  I was noting their use of hock rather than hack.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Though Pennsylvania Dutch are Low German, not Dutch.  I was noting their use of hock rather than hack.

There are a lot of similarities between Dutch and German.  I (used to) speak Dutch fluently and when I took German in school,  i was surprised at how easy it was, due to those similarities.  That's really what I was trying to say, and I could have said it better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This evening I went searching the bedroom for a bottle of passion fruit syrup that I was sure I had.  I did not find it.  What I did find were two leaking bags of liquified onions.

• Sad 7

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This evening I went searching the bedroom for a bottle of passion fruit syrup that I was sure I had.  I did not find it.  What I did find were two leaking bags of liquified onions.

Today i picked a dozen or so passion fruit.    What do I do with them?   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

35 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The yellow tender fragrant ones or the harder skinned dark ones?

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Make a Ted Haigh, Beachbum Berry, Don the Beachcomber zombie.  Or several.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Cut in half, scoop out the flesh and enjoy!!!  Or, if still unsure, you can send them to me!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Cut in half, scoop out the flesh and enjoy!!!  Or, if still unsure, you can send them to me!!!

I was going to say...I will send a self addressed stamped return package to you, place said fruit in package and drop in mailbox.  Profit!

If you do not want to eat them (which is clearly what I would do!) strain the seeds out add a bit of honey, mix with water and make the best juice ever.  Just like the Jamaican's do it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Make a pavlova and put them (well, their contents) on top! This is cause for celebration!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am not an expert in such things, but my impression is that there's almost as much difference between some forms of low German and "Hochdeutsch" as there is between German and Dutch. 

My grandfather spoke a bit of Plattdeutsch (admittedly, learned secondhand in the US from his parents) and it was pretty hard to comprehend.

53 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I am not an expert in such things, but my impression is that there's almost as much difference between some forms of low German and "Hochdeutsch" as there is between German and Dutch. 

My grandfather spoke a bit of Plattdeutsch (admittedly, learned secondhand in the US from his parents) and it was pretty hard to comprehend.

I don't know how to do the correct symbol but the sound is an up sound like the word luck.

Went to the Shop Rite supermarket across the street from my office (haven't been there probably since Feb/March)...my observation is that this store wasn't quite as well stocked as the one near my house. The chain has different owners for different locations, so they must manage stock differently. I was just buying some snacks and stuff for lunch, so I didn't hit all the aisles. Did get a loaf of nice artisan olive bread (day old) for $4. so that will be good for the freezer (less the slices I cut off for lunch). I'm waiting for my opportunity to make panzanella, only need tomatoes...

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

26 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Went to the Shop Rite supermarket across the street from my office (haven't been there probably since Feb/March)...my observation is that this store wasn't quite as well stocked as the one near my house. The chain has different owners for different locations, so they must manage stock differently. I was just buying some snacks and stuff for lunch, so I didn't hit all the aisles. Did get a loaf of nice artisan olive bread (day old) for $4. so that will be good for the freezer (less the slices I cut off for lunch). I'm waiting for my opportunity to make panzanella, only need tomatoes...

Limes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You can make passion fruit pulp to freeze to use in recipes. Scoop out the seeds and the gel around them and bump them around in the blender until the pulp separates from the seeds. Strain out the seeds and put in a container for the freezer. You can get a surprising amount of pulp from a modest amount of fruit. Creme brulee, anyone? Personally we just like to eat them, seeds and all. A friend can eat her body weight (a slight exaggeration) in passion fruit. Good thing we have a vine!

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"