• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

27 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I find that there's more flavor in the stems than there is in the leaves so I use the stems in lots of things I want that fresh cilantro flavor.  Roots are very flavorful too, but they need to be pounded - they're too tough... but they're a common ingredient in thai curry pastes because they have so much flavor.

I suppose you could use the roots in say a soup if you smashed the roots first and fished them out when the soup is done?

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I suppose you could use the roots in say a soup if you smashed the roots first and fished them out when the soup is done?

Oh no you grind them in a mortar and pestle and make amazing curry paste/ A common SE Asian thing

• Like 3

I eat the cilantro stems, too. I don't find them to be tough, maybe crunchy.

The leaves part (cilantro) goes bad before the stems. In case you just want to just store the cilantro as is, I'd say don't wash it until you use it. Wrap a paper towel around it, and then a plastic bag. Too much moisture is what makes it go slimy, IME.

• Like 2

I've seen people put cilantro with roots into a glass of water and store it in the fridge loosely covered with a plastic bag. It's important to remove any yellow stalks or anything starting to slime when you bring it home. I think you can sprout the roots to make more cilantro after you've used the stems and leaves. But cilantro is pretty easy to grow, though it bolts badly.. I have some in a pot that's flowering but it's still usable. Lacy foliage and delicate flowers. I wonder if it will make seeds? I do like the idea of turning it into a paste that you can freeze. The volume of cilantro grown and consumed in México must be enormous--there are bale-sized bunches of it for sale in the mercado. I think it's in everything except--maybe--desserts.

• Like 3

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

For the second time I swear I clicked on goat milk and ended up with UHT organic cow milk. I do not use it. Instead of pouring it out this time I attempted ricotta though internet says not a go with this style of milk. The milk itself (grass fed cows) had a light yellow cast. I used plain garbage vinegar and at end squeezed in orange from my overladen tree. It is sweet, fragrant, and I feel cool!  Thanks to whoever told me to give it  go.  And yes - no cheesecloth in house so I used paper towels. 

ricotta.JPG

• Like 11

Picked up an order from Kroger today. Ordered two quarts of half and half. Got four. Can one freeze half and half? I'm attempting to...

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/22/2020 at 1:09 PM, robirdstx said:

My Penzeys order was delivered today! I had placed the order on June 30th. They explained that they were running behind by about two weeks due to their stores having been closed for some time, but were filling orders as fast they could. My order was shipped on the 16th and, using their free delivery option, was delivered to my front porch this morning.

45D2057D-77C2-421F-849A-0911EDF87788.thumb.jpeg.ccc5004a0e5f42d58c64070b887a6472.jpeg

You need to come back to Richmond, my dear.  At our store, you just place your order online and they put it in a basket outside the door for you!  Same day service every time I've ordered.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

You need to come back to Richmond, my dear.  At our store, you just place your order online and they put it in a basket outside the door for you!  Same day service every time I've ordered.  

😁 I do need to come back and visit with you again!

Our local Penzey’s has curbside service, too, but they are over 30 miles away and would mean a drive into Houston. I was not in a hurry for any of the items in my order, so I ordered online and got free shipping, too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heidih said:

For the second time I swear I clicked on goat milk and ended up with UHT organic cow milk. I do not use it. Instead of pouring it out this time I attempted ricotta though internet says not a go with this style of milk. The milk itself (grass fed cows) had a light yellow cast. I used plain garbage vinegar and at end squeezed in orange from my overladen tree. It is sweet, fragrant, and I feel cool!  Thanks to whoever told me to give it  go.  And yes - no cheesecloth in house so I used paper towels. 

ricotta.JPG

Housemade ricotta is a treasure!    Texture depends on length of drain time.    For creamiest, only a few minutes, longer for denser cheese.   A wonderful fast and inexpensive pasta dressing with handful of fresh veg like peas or asparagus.   

\1644677734_ScreenShot2020-07-25at5_52_47PM.png.12df1b64a0b052e93d8aed1fbd9bb305.png

731234312_ScreenShot2020-07-25at5_52_11PM.png.78ee43a3e6f689f2e72f101f24edddaa.png

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Picked up an order from Kroger today. Ordered two quarts of half and half. Got four. Can one freeze half and half? I'm attempting to...

It goes grainy and never regains its original creamy texture, in my experience. It curdles, in a sense: not that it changes flavor, but it's useless in coffee. If you can think of a good way to use it in something that freezes well (ice cream?) I think you'll be better off.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

😁 I do need to come back and visit with you again!

Our local Penzey’s has curbside service, too, but they are over 30 miles away and would mean a drive into Houston. I was not in a hurry for any of the items in my order, so I ordered online and got free shipping, too!

let me know when you are going.... maybe we can coordinate a trip we are planning to Charleston.

I am so sorry I missed meeting you  and Smithy during our hawk conference trips!!!

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

15 hours ago, kayb said:

I've frozen it in the carton.  I blendered it a bit when I defrosted it to redistribute the butterfat, I don't remember it being bad to use in coffee and other uses after that, but it was a quite a while ago so memory may be dim.  I don't remember it being a fail. 

You could make creme fraiche or yogurt if you can get your hands on some culture.

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

It goes grainy and never regains its original creamy texture, in my experience. It curdles, in a sense: not that it changes flavor, but it's useless in coffee. If you can think of a good way to use it in something that freezes well (ice cream?) I think you'll be better off.

3 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I've frozen it in the carton.  I blendered it a bit when I defrosted it to redistribute the butterfat, I don't remember it being bad to use in coffee and other uses after that, but it was a quite a while ago so memory may be dim.  I don't remember it being a fail. 

You could make creme fraiche or yogurt if you can get your hands on some culture.

I'm quoting both posts deliberately to add that my comments above don't apply to blending it after thawing.  I'm pretty sure I never thought to try that!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I'm quoting both posts deliberately to add that my comments above don't apply to blending it after thawing.  I'm pretty sure I never thought to try that!

I had wondered after reading your post if a whirl in the blender would take care of the graininess. Will try that. Creme fraiche also a good idea; never thought about that, and never made it with anything other than heavy cream. I'll try that too.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

I had wondered after reading your post if a whirl in the blender would take care of the graininess. Will try that. Creme fraiche also a good idea; never thought about that, and never made it with anything other than heavy cream. I'll try that too.

I think results would vary depending on the temp and fat content.  The curdled look is from fat molecules clustering together and forming buttery globules that are no longer homogenized. Blending it cold might just make it worse and leave you with actual butter, not that butter is a bad thing.  You might need to heat it sufficiently to melt the fat, then blend.

If you're going to heat it anyway and make creme anglaise, panna cotta, yogurt, etc then no problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

If you're going to heat it anyway and make creme anglaise, panna cotta, yogurt, etc then no problem.

That holds true for beverages as well. I've found that the globules melt and disperse in my coffee after a few moments. As long as you know in advance that this is going to happen, and nobody else is using the cream, no further action is required beyond perhaps a second stir after a suitable interval.

Of course, if anyone else uses it they'll toss it immediately and tell you "Oh, I poured it out. It was spoiled."

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I think results would vary depending on the temp and fat content.  The curdled look is from fat molecules clustering together and forming buttery globules that are no longer homogenized. Blending it cold might just make it worse and leave you with actual butter, not that butter is a bad thing.  You might need to heat it sufficiently to melt the fat, then blend.

Heat to melt the fat and then homogenize.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 7/25/2020 at 3:47 PM, kayb said:

Baking: bread pudding or other custard-based items.Using half&half that was frozen, my Sweetie makes bread puddings for ren faire participants to eat and consistently gets rave reviews.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

404942614_Malaprojectdelicery07-25.jpeg.c49663f7d9eb5b75e45893aa3692d784.jpeg

Looking to up my Sichuan food game, I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mala Market grocery. I've already got some other stuff from them from a previous order.

Also looking to up my Thai food game...that order hasn't yet arrived.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

404942614_Malaprojectdelicery07-25.jpeg.c49663f7d9eb5b75e45893aa3692d784.jpeg

Looking to up my Sichuan food game, I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mala Market grocery. I've already got some other stuff from them from a previous order.

Also looking to up my Thai food game...that order hasn't yet arrived.

what about fermented black beans and doubanjiang?

45 minutes ago, KennethT said:

what about fermented black beans and doubanjiang?

Oh yeah, already have those! I've ordered from Mala before, and done plenty of shopping otherwise (pre-pandemic, of course).

I need and keep forgetting a good quality sesame paste. And the Twin Marquis noodles, which arrive frozen from Fresh Direct, aren't as good as the ones I can get everywhere in Chinatown.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Oh yeah, already have those! I've ordered from Mala before, and done plenty of shopping otherwise (pre-pandemic, of course).

I need and keep forgetting a good quality sesame paste. And the Twin Marquis noodles, which arrive frozen from Fresh Direct, aren't as good as the ones I can get everywhere in Chinatown.

I've never tried the Twin Marquis noodles.  I recently got some Shanxi style knife cut noodles (in the refrigerated case) at H-mart.  I made 2 servings (out of the 10 in the package) and had them as a noodle soup and quite enjoyed them.  I thought they had good texture, but I wound up undercooking by a minute or two as compared with the directions on the package.

• Like 1

Previously , ive mentioned I have a number of items from target.com

in cans and boxes  .

Dinty Moore Beef Stew is one of the items Ive been 

"" working with "   as it saves a trip to the store.  part of my over all C-19 plan.

i mentioned this possibly in the dinner therad

Ive worked on DM and ChefBOrDee;

mise :

DMSW1.thumb.jpg.6513c0ef7a4b081e2063b497f433346c.jpg

I reduce some Tj's  red table wine , " Phigment "   then add dried herbs ( Rosemary , Thyme , crushed ) 

along w granulated garlic and granulated onion  to the reduced wine , to hydrate.  then add this to the DMS :

DMSW2.thumb.jpg.06b28b7e1b6c7d1f5a242c322b1e3c17.jpg

It not from Julia , but decent given the circumstances .

would be better w a baguette , of course  ....

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Previously , ive mentioned I have a number of items from target.com

in cans and boxes  .

Dinty Moore Beef Stew is one of the items Ive been 

"" working with "   as it saves a trip to the store.  part of my over all C-19 plan.

i mentioned this possibly in the dinner therad

Ive worked on DM and ChefBOrDee;

mise :

DMSW1.thumb.jpg.6513c0ef7a4b081e2063b497f433346c.jpg

I reduce some Tj's  red table wine , " Phigment "   then add dried herbs ( Rosemary , Thyme , crushed ) 

along w granulated garlic and granulated onion  to the reduced wine , to hydrate.  then add this to the DMS :

23 minutes ago, rotuts said:

It not from Julia , but decent given the circumstances .

would be better w a baguette , of course  ....

Sounds like a nice hack. No baking going on at Chez Rotuts? @JeanneCake saved my mental state when she sent a pound of yeast and then donated the cost to a food bank. Good people exist!

• Like 2