• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I really like those turnips - they make awesome pickles.

But what is in the background behind the CSA haul?  Looks almost like a samovar.

How about daikon and carrots together, when making them into pickles?

I love daikon and carrot pickle on banh mi.  I usually have a jar going in the fridge.

The thing behind the CSA veggies is my countertop compost container.  I subscribe to a service that picks up weekly.  I have five gallon buckets stored in the garage, and dump the metal tin into them after dinner every night.  It's a really good service: they swap out the full buckets for clean empty ones, and they take almost everything, even meats, bones, shells, oils, and paper towels (as long as they only have food on them).  They will also deliver free compost to you if you want it.  It has really cut down on the amount of trash I put out for the landfill.  

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I love daikon and carrot pickle on banh mi.  I usually have a jar going in the fridge.

I always had as well. The smell when you open the jar...my son would run from the kitchen ;)  He enjoys Viet food but the odor got him. He and gang were regulars at places like Marukai (Japanese)  https://www.tokyocentral.com/t-gardena.aspx  

13 hours ago, dtremit said:

Any chance you can recommend a brand of swatter? We have low-level fruit flies occasionally and it drives my partner *crazy* — me, I just put up a vinegar trap and cover the fruit bowl, but he just hates them. I think an electric fly swatter would be very cathartic for him.

If you live in an area where there is a Harbor Freight store, they usually have them in abundance.   Cheap.  I have a couple and they have lasted a few years so far.

• Thanks 2

I have 4 of these HF Swatters

back when I went to my local , very close , 5 min ?

right next to TotalWine

they regularly sent coupons

in the mail.

these were from time to time , a free item w a coupon.

i used to get my rechargeable batteries there 

20 % off , same coupon

HF has some interesting stuff

for less than professional use

day to day , day in and day out.

Ive had no problem with their stuff

if you use the stuff for your  lively hood 

,might be a different mater.

the Swatters dont work as well as WineTraps  ( w a deep of detergent to eliminate surface tension )

Ive never tried vinegar   but the tiny bit of soap eliminates surface tension 

thus they cannot park them selves on the surface

the Swatters work very well for  ;

Moths , mosquitoes , and the like

dont try your Athletics 

near your Great GrandMothers

China , nor her killer Crystal .

just saying 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 2:07 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

More recently Shoprite had cherries on sale for, as I recall, $1.99 per pound.  I tried the first of them tonight.  They looked like cherries but that was their only semblance to fruit.  They were hard, tasteless, and slightly bitter.  Not sweet in the slightest

I purchased some of those $ 1.99 cherries at a local Shop Rite a few weeks ago and they were great. I bought some the following week (at $ 2.99 a pound) and they were as you described.  I purchased more last night for $ 1.99.  This most recent purchase will break the tie 😌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not the masks, it's the cabbage!!!!

Kimchi protects against COVID-19, a study says

The research team also paid attention to Germany’s sauerkraut, which is finely cut cabbage fermented in salt and often served with sausages.

The cumulative confirmed cases in South Korea and Germany stood at 13,612 and 201,252 as of Thursday, respectively, with only 291 and 9,148 deaths which translate to death rates of 2.14 percent and 4.55 percent. Fatalities were much higher in countries where fermented cabbage is not a staple diet such as Italy (14.37 percent), Spain (9.33 percent) and the United Kingdom (15.43 percent). 

Given the source of this particular article, you can understand why they found it necessary to describe sauerkraut, while kimchi required no explanation 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Haha 1

Oh heck I still can't get the seniors here to understand that canned kraut (pasteurized) has lost its good bacteria. I gave up when the evidence based experience of ant deterrence (cinnamon) was dismissed for the useless salt and vinegar. Oh my useless degrees...

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's not the masks, it's the cabbage!!!!

Kimchi protects against COVID-19, a study says

Given the source of this particular article, you can understand why they found it necessary to describe sauerkraut, while kimchi required no explanation 🙃

I'll believe it when Fauci says it. The only deterrent Kimchi might provide is that it keeps everyone six feet away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

In Shoprite a woman was standing in the middle of the produce aisle, talking on a cellphone, finger in her ear so she could hear.  I waited patiently, then less patiently.  Finally I said:  "Excuse me!"  Of course she could not hear.  Eventually I raised my voice enough that she stepped to one side.

In the parking lot I passed another woman speaking on her phone.  She stated to her caller:  "I am in the office."

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

i have mentioned before that Ive gotten a number of items from

Target.com.   w their CC  ( RedCard )  i get 5 % off , and free shipping w an order of $ 25 or more.

I dont work for them , BTW

Ive detailed the ChefBoyAreDee  cans , and various Progresso Soups.

then there is this :   DintyMoore Beef stew ;

https://hormel.com/Brands/Hormel-Dinty-Moore/Dinty-Moore-Cans/DINTY-MOORE-Beef-Stew

here it is :

DMBS.thumb.jpg.3cffc7777908f676b45f2624a5329f7b.jpg

I added a little crushed Penzey's rosemary , and that's  it.   If I ever have this w Tj's table Red , I might reduce a little of

that and add it pre Micro.   this is not Boeuf Bourguignon , from Julia or elsewhere :

https://www.food.com/recipe/boeuf-bourguignon-a-la-julia-child-148007#activity-feed

however , its a bit of a surprise :  there was plenty of meat , and the meat was not over cooked , was tender

and tasted like Beef,   the potatoes and carrots were also not over cooked , and potato and carrot - ey

the flavor is " American Traditional " beef stew.  Hormel has some products that are a cut above

the rest , given the category of " Fresh , from a Can "

Hormel has various Hash's  :

https://hormel.com/Brands/Hormel-Mary-Kitchen-Hash

I dont know who Mary is , or was  ;

CBH1.thumb.jpg.c500e2ac8478194d91d2b6e0d3ff4ed0.jpg

note how the " slug " has separated from the edge of the can.   I chose not to read the ingredient label

Im guessing this does not have any hydrogenated trans-fats.   it is very sold from traditional saturated

Animal Fat.   however , it was dinner time , so I sautéed it in a T-Fal to get a crust on it :

CBH2.thumb.jpg.045f8a173769b81da44cc71382dc29e8.jpg

the crust is forming on the underside , believe me !

plated w a pair of scrambled eggs :

CBH3.thumb.jpg.d16339488a9a4fb2d4a002c3b6166e3e.jpg

out of shrubbery for that Haute look.

items like these save me a trip to the Store.

I dont recollent them otherwise.   the Hormel Hash could use a little less salt 

the lower salt is impossible to find.

I dont eat this every day .  

But I could easily manage , say , one can a week ?  

and as a shopping substitute im OK with them and Target.com

for now.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

I have a decent supply of the Hormel  NoBean Chili .

it has nice cumin flavors .   I use it as a topping for Baked Russets.

when I have Russets.   keeps for years in that can .

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

@rotuts - that Dinty Moore reminds me of my mother and stepdad❤️.  They always kept a supply of Dinty Moore onboard their sailboat for when the fish didn't bite!  They both liked it enough that when they moved to Chicago from Annapolis (and didn't have a boat anymore) they took the Dinty Moore with them!  

I actually like canned hash - both corned beef and roast beef - quite a lot.  Like @gfweb says, crust is KEY!  

if you are lucky , you might find some of the Hormel Sausage Hash !

if I could find the less salty version ( and they made that version for all 3 types )

id get if more often , in normal times.   in spite of the saturated fat.

and yes  , a good solid crust is key.

excellent w a water-poached egg or two on top.

used to be a Sunday Breakfast for us way way back when.

w sourdough toast.

• Like 1

My Penzeys order was delivered today! I had placed the order on June 30th. They explained that they were running behind by about two weeks due to their stores having been closed for some time, but were filling orders as fast they could. My order was shipped on the 16th and, using their free delivery option, was delivered to my front porch this morning.

45D2057D-77C2-421F-849A-0911EDF87788.thumb.jpeg.ccc5004a0e5f42d58c64070b887a6472.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@robirdstx 

interested in your taste assessment on the two

Oregano's   :  Turk and Mex

I love the Turk , and if I have any Mex , its too old to asses

@MokaPot 

Ive D/l'd   a bazillion TB's of  ' Food Shows '

one is from GB " Food Unwrapped " 

they had a show , where there was a segment on

Oregano ,they seem to pronounce it different 

no matter :

they went to Turkey 

and saw the major producers there

they said this :

" Turkey exports  [ ed : pick your % or number ] more Oregano then they grow "

It suggested , other dried herbs  etc

I love Penzy's   Turkish O's as its Oregano

looking forward to an analysis of Mex vs Turks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@robirdstx, nice Penzeys order. How is the Turkish oregano different (in taste) from the Mexican oregano? What do you use the Turkish oregano for? TIA.

I use the Turkish oregano for my marinara and pizza sauces and in vinaigrettes.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/turkish-broken-leaf-oregano/c-24/p-744/pd-s

The Mexican oregano, I use in any of my Texas, Tex-Mex or Mexican dishes - chili, salsas, etc.

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/mexican-oregano/c-24/p-750/pd-s

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had given my neighbour some chives that came in my CSA basket last week and today she brought over some chive infused olive oil.  I have never used it.  What do I do with it?  I'm thinking it might be good drizzled over CSO'd fish but after that I'm stuck.  Love fish steam baked in the CSO.

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I had given my neighbour some chives that came in my CSA basket last week and today she brought over some chive infused olive oil.  I have never used it.  What do I do with it?  I'm thinking it might be good drizzled over CSO'd fish but after that I'm stuck.  Love fish steam baked in the CSO.

Anywhere you would use oil and chives separately.  Salad dressing for sure. The oil has a "garlic-like" taste - garlic bread. Really anywhere. Have you tasted its strength?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1