• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shoprite had no limes.*

Just for Jo...limes at my Shoprite today, two different sizes.

5A68F1D5-B30A-452C-8E24-FAC65712A175.jpeg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

its interesting that supplies seem so uneven 

A long time ago I had a GE Toaster oven

when these things were very new.   very low 1970 's

it was a fine machine and lasted 30 + years Che

U used it to heat up Chef BoyArDee Beef Ravioli.  it was cheaper than

the cafeteria , and I had no kitchen

Now very early on , I decided to visit Target.Com

I have a few of these :

DSC08568.jpg.612088bc3f54ac29e1d77477d3279f2a.jpg

a trip to the store averted , is a trip to the store averted .

note the hyperbole on the BeefRav:   no such filling in those ra's these days

and the sauce is on the sweet side.  designed for 2 year olds , or me these days.

the ' best ' is the Lasagna [sic]   which Id never had before.

they are in orderd, L => R    L being the oddest.

however the meatballs are much better than the spaghetti , with is way overcooks.

I post this is for Archival Documentations purposes.

""  They did that back then ?

• Like 4

SCORE!

I had dashed out to Kroger to pick up plastic bags in which to freeze corn, and as I was pulling out, saw a trailer from Newman Farms, up in Missouri, sitting across the street on a parking lot. Whipped into that lot quickly, as they were advertising heirloom Berkshire pork. I picked up two packages of center-cut chops, two chops apiece, about an inch thick, and a two-pack of what they called porterhouse chops, boneless, which were the size of a small strip steak and an inch and a half thick. Also got two pounds of ground beef. Got to talking to the girls manning the cashbox while the guy was getting the meat out of the truck for me, and they were telling me the farm was run by a professor at the Arkansas State ag school, of which both girls were graduates. We knew some people in common at the school, and as the fellow handed me my bag, he told me, "We appreciate you supporting the farm. We're known for our bacon, so I put a pound in there for you to try as a holiday bonus."

Particularly as my regular meat suppliers, as noted above, are slap out of any beef and pork, and will be for the next two or three weeks. Plus, I've never to my knowledge had Berkshire pork, so I'm anxious to try it. And my regular supplier just will not get his chops cut any more than about 3/8 inch thick.

The plan is already for meat loaf this evening and strip steaks on the Fourth, but those chops are down for Sunday!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Interesting how the different supermarkets are restocking as the covid thing wanes. Giant is still out of their best stuff. Food Lion, a down market chain, is keeping what good meat it sells in stock. They have a house brand of vac packed meats that's cheap and good. I just loaded up on flat irons and brisket at a great price. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

8 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

When our son was a toddler, I saved money, and maybe improved nutrition by making him "marble meatballs",  tiny ground round balls sauced with Campbell's tomato soup.  

This reminds me of SpaghettiOs  Great grandma  made beautiful egg noodles every week but somehow those advertising peep reeled us in https://www.mashed.com/163209/the-untold-truth-of-spaghettios/  I can hear the jingle right now!

• Like 2

I went to my local grocery yesterday to get my curb order.  While it was being loaded I read thru the email they send after the order is 'picked' and checked out.  Realized they didn't give me my jumbo eggs 'cause they were out.  I  quickly ran back into the store to get some x-large (and while I was already inside, a few bottles of wine which they won't fill curbside_.  In my hurry, I forgot my mask since I'm home most of the time and not really used to wearing one.

Fully half the shoppers and all the checkers were mask-less.  Luckily I wasn't inside for very long but I did feel guilty.

The store was very, very busy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

on the second seat of my Highlander , behind the drivers seat

I keep all my C-19 stuff.  I never bring what's on that seat into the house :

I very large shirt to wear over what ever Im wearing

Flannel , X-Long , to be replaced soon w a heavy long-sleeved cotton shirt.

masks that have been used , commercial and Mennonite made.  used vinyl glves

( in the foot area , they can stay there a long time !)

Front seat has new unused masks , and disposable gloves passenger seat

Unused wash cloths.

soon to add a large collection of wash cloths that Ill use w my Walnart Household cleaner w bleach

spray the hands after taking off the gloves , wipe hands w the wash cloths.

the WC are used once, then added to a small box so I can keep better track

the the WC's are all used , wash w bleach , and dry

in the front seat I keep a box of kleenex.

if , while in the car ,  have an ' itch ' etc  in the facial area , I use a Klenex

and drop that into the passenger foot well.

I also wipe down the spray bottle handle w the damp wash cloth

the bottle stays in the back seat.

Im not suggesting this is a perfect solution  

but its better than nothing.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

Good for you, @rotuts!  I have some friends from church that I chat with on the phone.  Some are elderly, some have already compromised health, some are just worried.  And when they talk about what precautions they are taking, they sometimes sound apologetic.  I always tell them that they shouldn't apologize for trying to stay healthy - nothing to be ashamed of.  The people who should be ashamed are the ones that blithely go around endangering the rest of us.  I refuse to be joked or shamed out of being careful.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 4:31 PM, rotuts said:

I can grow 4 plants  right now   

and yes cuttings get me 

credentialed Girls!

seed do not !

way back then 

well , at best

5o % boys , 50% girls

at at about 2.5 %

Good stuff.

now, whith the right cuttings

25 % good stuff.

just saying

no experience these days.

Just an FYI, if you aren't near a place where cuttings are easily available, most seed sellers sell feminized seeds - they basically guarantee 100% girls...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Due to a tragic Amazon/Whole Foods incident I seem to have a bag of jalapenos.  Jalapenos are not my favorite pepper.  I don't want to use them in my salsa nor eat them raw.  Any suggestions what to do with a bag of jalapenos?

• Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Due to a tragic Amazon/Whole Foods incident I seem to have a bag of jalapenos.  Jalapenos are not my favorite pepper.  I don't want to use them in my salsa nor eat them raw.  Any suggestions what to do with a bag of jalapenos?

Jalapeno poppers?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Jalapeno jelly?  Good with cream cheese and crackers.  Dry them?  Crumble up after dried and use for heat in dishes.  I made a jalapeño mustard that was awesome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

give them a nice long bath in some vinegar? then you can use it for flavoring  .... something?

I like Shelby's idea of pepper jelly, it's really good with cream cheese and crackers, or any soft runny cheese on crackers really ...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lindag said:

In my hurry, I forgot my mask since I'm home most of the time and not really used to wearing one.

Fully half the shoppers and all the checkers were mask-less.  Luckily I wasn't inside for very long but I did feel guilty.

The store was very, very busy.

I had a dream last night, and all I remember of the dream is that I had forgotten a mask and I was panicked and terrified to go where I was supposed to be going.  I must have awakened at that point because I don't remember anything else.  I've  been doing ok with all the restrictions until now; I had a follow up appointment with my dr two weeks ago and was very firmly told to stay out of stores, to continue to do curbside pickups and stay away from crowds.  I think her admonishment pushed me over the edge.   Like @rotuts  I keep supplies in both my car and the work van:  a box of gloves and a box of masks, a container of wipes and hand sanitizer.  So I'm prepared.  But now I'm thinking I need to do more; even though we tell people we are doing contact free curbside pick up; people are coming into the store.  I spent part of today looking for acrylic shields for in front of our cashier's desk.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

But I'm not fond of jalapenos.  That's the problem.  Poppers sound like the best suggestion yet, although the bag will most likely rot at the bottom of the hydrator.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1481402682_Delivery07-03.jpeg.98dfd5357d13f376ebbee6dac36c7754.jpeg

Small delivery which helps with my pita crisps and whatever else might need za'atar. The Lebanese one looks to have more sesame as well as coriander seed. Both made with hyssop as opposed to thyme, allegedly more traditional?

And 6 oz. of bay leaves is a LOT OF BAY LEAVES!

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?