• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I was excited to see an HMart open near my new apt (we get most of fish and shopping at the one in KTown), but it was really disappointing when we were there a few months ago. Almost no fish selection and the veggie section is a lot smaller. Seems like they're focusing on snacks and packaged stuff...

The one in the east village, undoubtedly?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yes

Perhaps I might've said all H Marts except for the one in the East Village, which is more geared to convenience. Yet still handy for pantry supplies.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

My fridge is just insane.

Think of it as full of options rather than insane 🙂

Here is this week's CSA box.  Two kinds of lettuce, mesculin mix, kale, strawberries, garlic scapes, baby bok choy, kohlrabi, tiny turnips, rhubarb, dill, more sweet potatoes (I now have a box full of sweet potatoes, and need to think of something to do with them soon!).  We will be having salad with every meal this week!

share.thumb.jpg.c596d263a7b17bc147e92e9f996f0dfd.jpg

I placed an online order with Wegman's yesterday for delivery on Tuesday, and was really shocked at how much the prices have jumped up.  A package of bacon was $9.25.  Olive oil was $28.99.  Eggs were $6.89/dozen.  A jar of pickles was $8.79.  A bottle of orange juice was $14.10.  And on and on like that.  Crazy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

@liamsaunt 

Yikes !

Im not sure where you live , and where you are now

but if at some point

you might go to Tj's  

during their senior hour 

you can get of those things 

1o mists in , and into your car.

at the very same prices they have always had

i do like the Tj's Kalamata oil

etc.

• Like 1

Wow. We've seen some price increases, but nothing like what you describe.

Between pandemic, dental surgery, and trying to learn to eat with a mouthful of new appliances, my diet of late has leaned heavily on smoothies and protein shakes. And peanut butter jelly sandwiches. I'll be glad to get this stage of my life over with and learn to eat again. Not to mention go out and let someone cook it for me and bring it to me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When I let the dog out earlier, I paused on the back porch to pinch flowers off my basil plant, and pluck a few leaves for tonight (either pizza or salad, haven't decided). 

Shortly afterward, I got an ice cream sandwich out of the freezer. When I finished it, I licked the chocolate off my fingers.

I can reliably report ice cream sandwiches with basil are not going to be a thing anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

@liamsaunt Those prices are incredible!  I am not seeing anything this high in Northern VA or Southern MD.  Or while visiting kids in NJ this weekend.  Harris Teeter recently had a dozen of eggs for 69 cents with limit of 2.

2 hours ago, kayb said:

When I let the dog out earlier, I paused on the back porch to pinch flowers off my basil plant, and pluck a few leaves for tonight (either pizza or salad, haven't decided). 

Shortly afterward, I got an ice cream sandwich out of the freezer. When I finished it, I licked the chocolate off my fingers.

I can reliably report ice cream sandwiches with basil are not going to be a thing anytime soon.

But the blooms fried with a cocktail will make ya smile

Edited by heidih (log)

6 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

(I now have a box full of sweet potatoes, and need to think of something to do with them soon!). 

Eggs were $6.89/dozen. 

My favorite sweet potato recipe is the sweet potato salad from Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger; I routinely make a huge batch of the dressing and keep it in the fridge so I can make it whenever the whim strikes.  It's wonderful!

And as for egg prices, yowza.  I checked my distributor's pricing on eggs (they have been gouging since the pandemic began on some things - like  $2 each for the blue/white disposable masks that Restaurant Depot is selling for .50 each) and their egg prices are actually pretty low.  A 15 dozen case of eggs is $13.81; so even allowing for organic, range free from the supermarket, that's pretty high. 

• Like 1

Grocery shopping day. Sunday afternoon it was good because it was not too busy but a lot of things missing. No flour but I could believe my eyes all that fresh yeast 🤣🤣🤣 it’s a little blurry as I keep my phone in snack bag 😁 easier to disinfect 

F3889456-46EB-4097-8B1A-A55094C8A246.jpeg

• Like 8

On 6/7/2020 at 11:28 PM, Kim Shook said:

I do a roasted strawberry cheesecake that is fantastic.  Roasting does amazing things to less than perfect berries.

I plan on making these today but as mini cheesecakes.  I have a mini-cheesecake pan to bake them in.  My question is, what happens if I just bake them without putting the pan  in a water bath?  Will that do terrible things to them?

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

@liamsaunt 

Yikes !

Im not sure where you live , and where you are now

but if at some point

you might go to Tj's  

during their senior hour 

you can get of those things 

1o mists in , and into your car.

at the very same prices they have always had

i do like the Tj's Kalamata oil

etc.

I am many years away from being eligible to shop the senior hours 🙂

18 hours ago, chefmd said:

@liamsaunt Those prices are incredible!  I am not seeing anything this high in Northern VA or Southern MD.  Or while visiting kids in NJ this weekend.  Harris Teeter recently had a dozen of eggs for 69 cents with limit of 2.

Wow!  I did purchase the organic pasture raised eggs, but even pre-covid the everyday eggs were a lot more than that here.

16 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

My favorite sweet potato recipe is the sweet potato salad from Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger; I routinely make a huge batch of the dressing and keep it in the fridge so I can make it whenever the whim strikes.  It's wonderful!

And as for egg prices, yowza.  I checked my distributor's pricing on eggs (they have been gouging since the pandemic began on some things - like  $2 each for the blue/white disposable masks that Restaurant Depot is selling for .50 each) and their egg prices are actually pretty low.  A 15 dozen case of eggs is $13.81; so even allowing for organic, range free from the supermarket, that's pretty high. 

I have this cookbook!  Thanks for the reminder.  I am going to look that recipe up.  One of my favorite recipes from this book is the grilled chicken with peaches and olives.  I have not made it in years.  I need to make it again.  

On 6/21/2020 at 9:43 AM, liamsaunt said:

more sweet potatoes (I now have a box full of sweet potatoes, and need to think of something to do with them soon!)

For the sweet potatoes, this is something that I've been wanting to try after someone reviewed it favorably in another cooking group.  Sweet Potato and Ricotta "Cookies"  from Vij’s Indian: Our Stories, Spices and Cherished Recipes by Meeru Dhalwala and Vikram Vij of the well known Vancouver restaurants. Sounds like a fun recipe to play around with.

The egg price you quoted above is very much in line with what organic, pasture farmed eggs sell for at Whole Foods and what I pay at my local farmers market. I think I posted elsewhere that while I like supporting my local farmers and humane animal husbandry, I drew the line at Apricot Lane Farms eggs @ $14/dozen 🙄.  There are much less expensive eggs sold here at the supermarkets,  though I haven't seen anything as low as some of the comparison quotes mentioned. I've paid a similar price to yours for Neuske's bacon and seen plenty of pricy olive oil but the OJ and pickles are at a level I haven't encountered.

• Like 1

The issue with the sweet potatoes for me is the sometimes different  starch contents as it affects baking. BUT who can forget Jane Fonda proclaiming that a nuked sweet potato is her answer to sweet cravings helping her stay svelte ;) ......

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/24/health/fonda-s-view-of-food-live-without-the-fat.html

One of my favorites is sweet potato and barbecue hash; I used pulled pork, but there's no reason you couldn't use barbecued chicken. Cube and fry the sweet potatoes until just about done, toss in the barbecue, dust the whole thing with barbecue rub, plate it.

Finish with a squiggle of barbecue sauce, or top it with an over easy egg, THEN a squiggle of barbecue sauce.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

@liamsaunt have you ever tried this recipe from Ottolenghi? It’s always a crowd pleaser. I make it every time we have a party. But my favorite way it’s what I call twice cooked sweet potatoes. I bake them in foil, leaving them a little al dente, then peel and drap in plastic wrap (you can slice and freeze them at this point too). When cold are easy to cut, and then I pan fry, bake or broil with some oil or butter, flipping only when they make a crust. This is my MIL favorite dish in the world, I’ll make for her all the time now that is going to move with us. Also my mom has serious problem holding herself with these. I always mix types of sweet potatoes: Japanese/Korean/purple/orange flesh. My kids and husband detest sweet potatoes or orange squashes, pumpkins so they never get cooked just for the family. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I plan on making these today but as mini cheesecakes.  I have a mini-cheesecake pan to bake them in.  My question is, what happens if I just bake them without putting the pan  in a water bath?  Will that do terrible things to them?

A water bath is supposed to prevent them from cracking.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

A water bath is supposed to prevent them from cracking.

It is a taste/textural preference. I like them more rustic. Easily bored with smooth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

You've probably already  made these, but if not - lower the oven temp -  300 is fine - bake for 10 mins, turn the pan, then bake another 5 and check them.  If they start to "souffle" then turn off the oven and leave them for 10 minutes or so.  They will sink down and be ok.  You may more likely see bubbles in small cheesecakes the size of mini cupcakes; these aren't wide enough to crack. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, liamsaunt said:

I placed an online order with Wegman's yesterday for delivery on Tuesday, and was really shocked at how much the prices have jumped up.  A package of bacon was $9.25.  Olive oil was $28.99.  Eggs were $6.89/dozen.  A jar of pickles was $8.79.  A bottle of orange juice was $14.10.  And on and on like that.  Crazy!

The delivery markup with Wegmans can be really variable -- and it's hidden in the item prices. Blame Instacart, who they partner with for pickup and delivery. You can actually switch your cart between in-store, pickup, and delivery to see the price difference.

At the Wegmans near us, the "basic" eggs are $1.39/dz and the organic cage free are $3.49/dz, in store, which I think is pretty much what we've always paid. For pickup or delivery, they jump to $1.59 and $4.09.

You also occasionally get stuck with a big markup on substitutions -- e.g., fresh squeezed OJ subbed for the normal stuff. If you follow your order when it's being shopped, you can reject any that seem crazy before the shopper checks out.

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

You've already gotten good advice.  Supposedly, they are more likely to crack and cook unevenly.  But especially with smaller ones, I don't believe that would be a problem.  And if you get a crack, a big dollop of whipped cream covers a multitude of sins.😁

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Franci said:

@liamsaunt have you ever tried this recipe from Ottolenghi? It’s always a crowd pleaser. I make it every time we have a party. But my favorite way it’s what I call twice cooked sweet potatoes. I bake them in foil, leaving them a little al dente, then peel and drap in plastic wrap (you can slice and freeze them at this point too). When cold are easy to cut, and then I pan fry, bake or broil with some oil or butter, flipping only when they make a crust. This is my MIL favorite dish in the world, I’ll make for her all the time now that is going to move with us. Also my mom has serious problem holding herself with these. I always mix types of sweet potatoes: Japanese/Korean/purple/orange flesh. My kids and husband detest sweet potatoes or orange squashes, pumpkins so they never get cooked just for the family. 

I have not made this, but it looks good.  I saved the recipe, thank you!

15 hours ago, dtremit said:

The delivery markup with Wegmans can be really variable -- and it's hidden in the item prices. Blame Instacart, who they partner with for pickup and delivery. You can actually switch your cart between in-store, pickup, and delivery to see the price difference.

At the Wegmans near us, the "basic" eggs are $1.39/dz and the organic cage free are $3.49/dz, in store, which I think is pretty much what we've always paid. For pickup or delivery, they jump to $1.59 and $4.09.

You also occasionally get stuck with a big markup on substitutions -- e.g., fresh squeezed OJ subbed for the normal stuff. If you follow your order when it's being shopped, you can reject any that seem crazy before the shopper checks out.

I know that there is a markup, and I understand why.  I am willing to pay it to not have to go in to the store.  It's been creeping ever higher each time I order though.  I do follow along when the shopper is getting my order. I like that feature a lot.  

• Like 1