• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Been getting these different spring broccolis lately...

1960707828_Spigarelloandraab06-09IMG_E1219.jpeg.0ce1afe61bb94c7c3fbaa3279b7221b0.jpeg

Left is known as spigarello; on the right, raab.

The spigarello really would've benefited from blanching, which I'll def do to the raab...

410209424_Spigarello06-09IMG_1220.jpeg.69c1c0251425bb42d36057fe2906d4cc.jpeg

Beautiful greens, Spring tonic time young man ;)  

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I forgot to add..and don't faint....

I was out of heavy cream.  I use it quite often.  

O M G the price.

$9.55 for a quart.

That  price is shocking. I'd have to think hard before buying it.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

A Southern California chain supermarket put boneless beef short ribs on sale this week for $3.99. Given that chuck roast is running $7-8/lb, I think it's a bargain. I bought enough for 3 meals for the 2 of us.  I'm braising some for tonight's dinner. If I'm happy with them I may go back and get more into the freezer. I don't see 5-6 lbs total of meat fitting into the "hoarding" category.

For the 2 of us I typically prepare about 12 oz total of whatever meat I'm using for dinner.  Hoping to pick up some wild-caught salmon from Costco soon. I'll serve larger portions of that.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

For anyone still needing yeast, Supermarket Italy has SAF red and gold in stock, limit three pounds per variety.  I was not running out but I'll sleep better with an extra pound in the bedroom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

O M G the price.

$9.55 for a quart.

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Wowzie!

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yeah  *faint*

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

That  price is shocking. I'd have to think hard before buying it.

I dunno - at the farmer's market, and when I order high-quality cream for delivery, it's often $5+/pint.

Like this stuff...

Heavy Cream 12oz. - Ronnybrook Dairy

Is $6.
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pandemic Baked Potatoes :

2054451243_BPChilli.jpg.37aa9d7f0e8e70ea2bc83bb3e2d554be.jpg

CSO'd until very crispy , split . 

now the Pandemic amendments :

Hormel Canned Chilli , no beans , micro'd  w melted TJ's   House Cheddar.

a little window-sill  shrubbery 

Soooo  delicious !C

• Like 7

I buy a fair amount of heavy cream in the summer, for creme fraiche and whipped cream on fresh fruit. I think I usually pay ~$3 a pint at Aldi. Don't know that I'd spring at $9.55 a quart.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I buy a fair amount of heavy cream in the summer, for creme fraiche and whipped cream on fresh fruit. I think I usually pay ~$3 a pint at Aldi. Don't know that I'd spring at $9.55 a quart.

Of course - just pointing out that it's not that far-fetched, nor is it that expensive if buying high-quality, local dairy stuff.

Same with milk from local dairies, grass-fed cows, etc. I received a quart of milk - grass-fed cows, unhomogenized cream on top, in a delivery last weekend. The taste difference between that and the commercial stuff is quite evident.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

20 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Of course - just pointing out that it's not that far-fetched, nor is it that expensive if buying high-quality, local dairy stuff.

Same with milk from local dairies, grass-fed cows, etc. I received a quart of milk - grass-fed cows, unhomogenized cream on top, in a delivery last weekend. The taste difference between that and the commercial stuff is quite evident.

Indeed.   St. Benoit is why God invented cows.  

Strauss heavy cream is in a class of its own.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

I've been buying Harrisburg Dairies heavy cream from amazon, $5.49 per quart.  Three bottles in the refrigerator.  Good stuff I think.  I've also been getting their buttermilk for Momofuku.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've never purchased a quart of heavy cream, only smaller quantities. IMO, heavy cream is simply more expensive to begin with. It is cream, after all (a concentrated-type product). Then you factor in organic, grass-fed, etc. Plus, it needs to be transported in a refrigerated container. Plus the animal, the farm, the workers, etc. If I wanted it / needed it, then I'd pay the price ($9.99 or whatever).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

I've never purchased a quart of heavy cream, only smaller quantities. IMO, heavy cream is simply more expensive to begin with. It is cream, after all (a concentrated-type product). Then you factor in organic, grass-fed, etc. Plus, it needs to be transported in a refrigerated container. Plus the animal, the farm, the workers, etc. If I wanted it / needed it, then I'd pay the price ($9.99 or whatever).

Exactly.  In the cases mentioned above, supporting a certain type of agriculture becomes a byproduct of your purchase.

Also, as I often like to do when someone is aghast that I might spend $8 on a pound of imported pasta, factor in the cost per serving and compare that to what I pay in restaurants. Certainly, that $8/lb. doesn't seem all that bad.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I'm not saying you *have* to buy organic, grass-fed (cream), etc. There are personal budget issues to consider. Just trying to calculate how the price for a quart of cream could arrive at $9.99. When possible, when it's in my budget, I do like to buy organic.

My husband keeps a kegerator worth of his everyday beer when we're at home. Early this week he called for a refill. Of his usual, Busch Light*. The bottle shop just called: they can't get it. Because the supply is completely out. Why? Because the distributor is in Wisconsin, and that state's bars reopened last weekend. I guess there's a whole lot of celebratin' going on.

Oh, still available: Bud Light and Michelob Ultra/Light/I forget. So there are some beers even lower on the totem pole than Busch Light!

He went for Blue Moon Hefeweizen instead.

*(His kegerator is safe from me.)

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's nice to see King Arthur's products getting back into play. I found some of their AP unbleached flour yesterday; between that, the above-noted bread flour, and some dark rye flour (Bob's Red Mill) I found I've been having fun baking bread again. I'll post more about that in the bread topic.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Exactly.  In the cases mentioned above, supporting a certain type of agriculture becomes a byproduct of your purchase.

Also, as I often like to do when someone is aghast that I might spend $8 on a pound of imported pasta, factor in the cost per serving and compare that to what I pay in restaurants. Certainly, that $8/lb. doesn't seem all that bad.

Use of heavy cream in large quantities is a splurge no matter how you look at it. Might as well get what makes you swoon and.... enjoy!

• Like 3

I still have the bag of KAF bread flour and some yeast I bought in early March.  I have not made yeast breads for over 30 years.  Since I’m working full time from home and the bread supply has been fine here,  I haven’t made any bread.  I have a slow work period coming up next week, so may just try to relearn, mainly because all of your breads look really good.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2020 at 9:45 AM, Shelby said:

O M G the price.

$9.55 for a quart.

Cheap for Australia

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.