• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I have a huge collection of photographs of "No Photograpy" signs I have taken all around the world!

That chapel, which we were lucky enough to visit some 13 years ago, obviously left an indelible memory, as the second I saw your post, I knew what it was! 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The weather is cooling off a bit so I've made the aforementioned beef stock. I'm not interested in running the oven at 400F when it's hitting the nineties. The stock is chilling in the fridge for easy de-fatting. Then I'll check to see if I'm happy with the amount of reduction of the stock. If not, I'll reduce it more.

My Sweetie and I happily gnawed the meat off of the bones after I pulled them and the veggies out. Now I need the right weather and timing to make Barley Beef Soup, something she has been asking about having. Scaring up some beef to cube and put in it will be easy.   Jackpot! I just remembered that I have some left-over trip-tip in the freezer. 😄

We're going to "visit" my FIL this afternoon, which is standing on the patio of his room at the care facility, looking at him through the French doors and talking to him on the phone. His is frail, but still hanging on, the cancer continuing to do it inoperable damage. The care facility shut it's doors to visitors pretty early in the ramping up of the virus here in the  US, for which I'm grateful. We'll have to briefly stop at a market on the way. We bring him cookies and have none, due to my lack of foresight. The cookies are left on the table on the facility's main patio. The wonderful, caring staff will retrieve them from there. Makes for a no-contact delivery.

Because of how we time our visits with my FIL (when he will most  likely be awake) our dinner tonight will be some lucky fast-food drive through. We live about an hour away from him and waiting to eat when we get home isn't an option. I pretty much eat on a schedule as part of managing my Type 2 diabetes.

• Like 9

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I made lemon bars because my freezer is 4 inches deep with frozen lemon juice.  I want it out of the way for more protein and veggies. Did not make a dent. Gave most of them away to neighbors.  Wish I could buy a freezer for the garage but that needs a complete reorganization before there is any room.  

B059E90A-ACBC-46E1-8BC5-1364A03CBB7C.jpeg

Edited by Jacksoup
Wrong photo (log)
  • Like 8

To keep myself busy, and to allow me to bake without having to eat everything I bake, I gave myself a job. CoronaCakes Bakery delivers once a week to 4 friends - something different every week. Sometimes they make a special request, other times I just decide what to bake. I have refused to make the Confetti Angel Food Cake with Pink Icing that has been requested several weeks in a row from one particular "client" because I do not want to end up with 4 angel food cakes-worth of egg yolks in my fridge. I bake, then drive the circuit and leave the packages on the porch or in the garage. Lemon squares sounds like a good idea for a future delivery...

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Masa NYC offers 800 dollars sushi take out box for four.  I can buy a lot of premium ingredients for 800 dollars.

https://ny.eater.com/2020/5/11/21253853/masa-sushi-takeout-coronavirus-800-photos

😳  Wow.  I am totally craving sushi...but not that much lol.

• Haha 2

• Like 8

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

She totally rocks!

“You have to remember," she said, "that if you’re not doing things in your life that give you goose bumps, you’re doing it wrong.”

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I put my process w Country bacon here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/149834-mail-order-virginia-country-hams/page/7/

even though Bacon is not Ham

but this is avery much Go-To item for me

during the Pandemic

to flavor Pasta , canned soups , and eat by the spoonful 

right out of the refrigerator as a Treat.

I dont have any cookies .

drunk.jpeg.a1e4731f84349f34d43387dc5516364b.jpeg

• Like 4

Ventured to my local Trader Joe's this morning, hadn't been in a couple of months (last visit to a TJ's was in 2nd week of March, smaller store near my office). Got there around 10:30 and the line (6 feet spacing) was around 120 yards long (eyeballing by golf reference). Took about a half hour to get inside, one in/one out and they cleaned a cart for you to take in. The aisles were not marked for one way traffic but with the decreased number of shoppers it wasn't really a problem. Stock seemed pretty good across the board, only a few holes. Some refrig/dairy items were short date, but that's almost normal for them. They had meat in the refrig case and I bought fresh turkey tenderloin and frozen Argentine shrimp. Got some frozen veg mixes, some dairy items, pantry and canned goods, couple of fresh produce items, bottle of wine. Pretty satisfactory experience all in all. Glad I waited until the panic buying had abated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Delivery Monday from my favorite produce delivery service included these lovelies...

930989654_Ramps05-11.jpeg.a71620a33f9fda07ef562e33c98b3eaa.jpeg

Most of which went to making more additions to my stash of ramp compound butter in individually frozen 4 oz. portions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@BeeZee 

good to hear.

I do plan to go to my Local

at some point.

wonderful people working there

good bagel Shrubbery 

If I can , Ill call about 

wine by the case 

muy favorite 

and they ( used  ) to know me

thanks for your evaluation.

• Like 2

I am hopefully (knock on wood) done with having to leave the house for at least a week.   I hate leaving the house sigh.   Went to two different smaller towns around around me this morning.  One was to go to the nursery.  It is about 50 degrees and pouring rain again today so I figured I'd be the only one there.  I was right.  But, they had barely any thing for sale.  Mostly flowers to plant.  Some tomato plants (which I didn't need).  I was able to snag 3 eggplants, 2 dill, 2 basil.  All the plants are tiny so I'll let them get a little bigger in our greenhouse before planting.  They had no cucumbers so I bought another pack of seeds (we have the worst luck trying to start cuke plants in the greenhouse...no idea why, but we will try again).  I also splurged on a treat--a hanging basket of really pretty, bright flowers to hang outside my kitchen window.  Makes me happy looking at it.  Needed something cheery.

Then we went to the grocery store in a different small town because I needed to pick up one of Ronnie's prescriptions.  While I'm there, I always grab some groceries.  Not too many people in the store.  Most had some type of homemade mask on, including me.  I brought my own wipes for my hands and the cart.  Very low on eggs.  I bought the last brick of sharp cheddar.  You were limited to 2 meat products so for example you could buy one whole chicken (of which they had a total of 3) and a package of hamburger and that's it.  I snagged a pack of 3 chicken quarters (left the remaining for someone else) and 1 whole chicken.  No paper towels, I didn't see any TP.  No 409 or clorox anything.  Ramen noodles were back in stock.  Fresh produce looked good.  Just got a lot of potatoes in so I bought a bag of those.  Oh and they had limes....kind of sad looking, but I bought some anyway.

I feel a nap coming on.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

And where is the butter?

The last time I went to the Walmart grocery store, there butter section was completely empty...no butter, no margarine.

Maybe it's not the hoarders to blame but perhaps Walmart sucks when it comes to restocking and obtaining supplies.¬¬

• Sad 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• Sad 1

So, as I typed that we could not get eggs, my daughter went to the Target on the University of Kentucky campus. Students have been out for moths. It was fully stocked with everything. TP, eggs, meat, sanitizer, all the shelves were full. Seems that's the place to get whatcha need. 

• Like 4

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.