• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

4 minutes ago, haresfur said:

A friend in Alaska said you can get on a roadkill registry there. If someone reports hitting an animal, they call the next person on the list to come get it within 24 hours. She posted pictures of herself and some other very messy women after cutting apart a moose.

24 hours...

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Okay so we're trying to do our bit by supporting the closed pubs and the 1 still operating cafe in the town we drive home through once a week. We are both still working, out of home, full time. 

It's (the food)... not great and it seems the Pubs have mostly put off their Chefs and put themselves in the kitchens. But I don't really know what else to do to help. 

20200502_184956.thumb.jpg.80938b509f552440639f3870aa4582a4.jpg

Fish & Chip picnic on the lounge room floor. Way too much for 2.5 people but my son ate almost all 16 pieces of his beloved Calamari. 

Mum thinks squids are friends not food.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Yesterday I had an appointment with the carpenter who will be building the cabinets for my new kitchen.  Yay!  

His shop is South of here in another small town.  My friend went with me and we had a good visit going over the plans and choosing hardware, designs, color and layout.

On the way home is a small restaurant called The Hamilton Fish House.  I had gotten their phone number so we could get take-out.  When I called from the cabinet shop they told me they were open!  First day.  We chose to eat inside and were the only customers.  The fish and chips were great and it was just so wonderful to be out and about again after such a long time in isolation.  They are under strict rules for separation and cleanliness but it is a big step forward.

My county of approx. 46,000 has had just 5 known cases of the virus.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 12

I placed my grocery order this morning for  curbside pickup.

Then I decided I wanted to make a crab spread appetizer for our card game on Friday and it was too late to add to my order.

So my order arrived with only one exception, no cilantro (due to Cinco de Mayo, I’d guess).

so I had to go inside the sore for the crab and I also wanted an ice cream cake for dessert.

Found loads of cilantro on the shelf.

Card playing menu:  crab spread with various crackers and pita chips

Spreadable cheeses for those who don’t eat seafood

Pico de Gallo with tortilla chips
                                     Red grapes to eat while handling the cards

Ice cream cake

• Like 6

Yeah, the online service for my little Walmart did not offer some things that I thought would probably be on the shelves, so I decided to not place an order and just went in to shop for myself at 7:30 am. Very few other customers. Almost all were wearing masks and practicing good social distancing. The items that were listed as not available on the online service were in stock on the shelves. I got all of the items on my list, plus a few more. It was so nice to be able to choose my own produce!

• Like 4

We have removed keurigs from the office waiting area but forgot to cancel creamers order.  Why those are in the fridge is a different issue altogether.

44E951E4-0FA0-4880-9D06-941BDE168784.thumb.jpeg.687e11d1ac0bb7bfe4d7c71fb8a69651.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Here is this week's CSA box.  Potatoes, apples, chives, Jerusalem artichokes, carrots, ramps, fiddleheads, onions, carrots, arugula, curry powder and bread.  The herbs in the back are not from the CSA.

box.thumb.jpg.42ca41bb1a604004e7f0487c83d2703d.jpg

• Like 10

@liamsaunt: Curry powder in a CSA box! That would never have occurred to me!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

@liamsaunt: Curry powder in a CSA box! That would never have occurred to me!

Every week there has been a nonperishable item from a Massachusetts business.  The curry powder was made in Cambridge.  Other things I have gotten in this category are flour (Lynn), coffee (Sudbury), and sriracha (Sunderland).

I read with envy and longing about those of you who are planning card parties, shopping in person, and planning group meals.  We are still in the thick of it here.  Of the testing done today, 28% tested positive, and our daily death toll was 205 as of 4:30 PM, bringing us to over 4,000.   Face masks became mandatory as of this morning.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

Just now, liamsaunt said:

Every week there has been a nonperishable item from a Massachusetts business.  The curry powder was made in Cambridge.  Other things I have gotten in this category are flour (Lynn), coffee (Sudbury), and sriracha (Sunderland).

I read with envy and longing about those of you who are planning card parties, shopping in person, and planning group meals.  We are still in the thick of it here.  Of the testing done today, 28% tested positive, and our daily death toll was 205 as of 4:30 PM, bringing us to over 4,000.   Face masks became mandatory as of this morning.

Here in Kansas we're having a big spike.  Lots of meat packing plants are being tested with many sick :( .  Face masks here too.  But, to make you feel a bit better, I envy your delivery of such wonderful food!   Envy in a good way :) .  I can't get anything delivered where we live.  

• Sad 7

Food in the time of a pandemic still has a sense of humor. After chasing masa harina and/or corn tortillas for a few weeks leading up to Cinco de Mayo with no success, I scrapped my plans and just cleared some leftovers out of the fridge last night. Today I got an email from my online source informing me masa harina was back in stock. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I caved and went and got my nails done today, first day salons were open. This was not just as exercise in cosmetics; my natural nails are thin and flimsy, tear when I scratch my head, and are too sharp to scratch an itching nose. They look better, but feel 1000 times better than that.

Went by my favorite Mexican place to pay homage to Cinco de Mayo a day late. Cheese enchiladas topped with shredded beef in a ranchero sauce. Excellent.

Nail salons, btw, are limited to 10 patrons at a time, and everyone is masked. Plexiglass shields between techs and patrons. I did not feel unsafe, and was pleased to be able to support my nail techs.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Meals on wheels?

Instead of waiting in line outside a supermarket, or trying to secure a slot with one of the grocery delivery apps — which have been slammed with demand during the COVID-19 lockdown — new startups and established companies alike are eager to offer Canadians a fresh alternative.

The grocery industry is highly competitive and has been moving online for some time, but it now appears the competition will be intensifying further, with a range of new entrants looking to help Canadian shoppers buy from the safety of their homes.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, kayb said:

I caved and went and got my nails done today, first day salons were open. This was not just as exercise in cosmetics; my natural nails are thin and flimsy, tear when I scratch my head, and are too sharp to scratch an itching nose. They look better, but feel 1000 times better than that.

Went by my favorite Mexican place to pay homage to Cinco de Mayo a day late. Cheese enchiladas topped with shredded beef in a ranchero sauce. Excellent.

Nail salons, btw, are limited to 10 patrons at a time, and everyone is masked. Plexiglass shields between techs and patrons. I did not feel unsafe, and was pleased to be able to support my nail techs.

I have the same nails as you.  Unfortunately the salons here are not yet able to open.  God I hope it's soon!

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Meals on wheels?

Instead of waiting in line outside a supermarket, or trying to secure a slot with one of the grocery delivery apps — which have been slammed with demand during the COVID-19 lockdown — new startups and established companies alike are eager to offer Canadians a fresh alternative.

The grocery industry is highly competitive and has been moving online for some time, but it now appears the competition will be intensifying further, with a range of new entrants looking to help Canadian shoppers buy from the safety of their homes.

I had a look at the Sysco site.  I'm not interested in buying the quantities that you get when you order an item but I read that they are thinking of re-packing some things.  If they do, I'd be interested in some of their offerings.  Thanks for posting this.

• Like 3

When one goes to Sam's and there is no toilet paper and there are no Clorox wipes, one gets...

20200507_153211.thumb.jpg.4eb01ac41a4ae06ec4595496a8337a7a.jpg

Probably less than half the shoppers wearing masks. All the staff was. Shoppers were not great at social distancing; I got snippy with a non-masked shopper who was crowding me.

They had beef, but not a lot. I got some since my farmers are presently out, until they can take some animals to slaughter.

TBH, I DID see some tp in the ginormous  commercial size rolls.  Contemplated getting that, but passed it up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I tried the lemon Oreos for the first time, during this pandemic. They were not bad! Could have been more lemony. For a stuffed (commercial) cookie, I like these Carr's lemon ginger cookies.

carrs-lemon-ginger.jpeg.756fb12a734452f69a6b5a0580ce7d2a.jpeg

However, these cookies were hard to find, even before the pandemic.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

I tried the lemon Oreos for the first time, during this pandemic. They were not bad! Could have been more lemony. For a stuffed (commercial) cookie, I like these Carr's lemon ginger cookies.

Yes excellent with tea. Been a  long time. I'd find  them in the oddest markets. Thanks for the fond memory. (lemon or Oreos of any kInd not so much well except for a [ocal goat who had a fur color pattern exactly like an Oreo)

• Thanks 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

this is related :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/page/106/?tab=comments#comment-2247143

as its what I have 

Im low on windowsill green onion tops

and out of Fz green peas  , but have two bags of Fz peas and carrots 

Ill just have to pick the carrots out , after cold water de-thaw and use in some soup 

or some thing.   

so much stunning and deliucius cooking going on here on eG !

this dish , after a series of vaccinations 

and a trip to MarketBasket  for fresh Shrubbery 

maybe some fresh Adult Spinach , rolled and thinly sliced ?

is a keeper for me.

• Delicious 1

I have been confined to barracks now since 15 March.

my daughter has been picking up groceries for me and I asked her if she would look for some already cut up carrots and celery. It sounds lazy but I have issues that make it much more challenging than it should be. She delivered this to my house today. 

EF1AB5AD-1BFE-44A6-9C80-1C75BF316C77.thumb.jpeg.fd2bea3a9a5407ba925545874c8e1b99.jpeg

I had some sour cream in the fridge and some onion soup mix in the pantry. 8A9F0EA9-D9E2-47B4-BDD2-BC9B7DD24E0C.thumb.jpeg.6d7b11094014a17385b4188ff6560fcc.jpeg

served up with some dip. 

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday  morning I realized that I needed potatoes for the potato salad I was serving for dinner. Off I went, and I made use of already being there for a few other groceries, then head home.

This morning I bought an almost 7 lb bone-in choice ribeye roast. Interestingly, when I went to bone it it had already been boned and the bones packaged with it. I cut it down into a 2 lb roast and 3 steaks. I had planned on making a mushroom-bacon quiche for Mothers Day dinner. When offered a ribeye steak instead my Sweetie chose the steak (color me so surprised).

The real point of this pandemic post is that I don't make my own stocks. As I was looking at the beef bones I had just acquired I figures I would make some beef stock. As I thought about my general reticence to make my own stock I realized that the major impediment to doing is that I rarely, really rarely, buy bone-in meat, which leaves me with no scraps to utilize. I don't foresee changing my buying habits, and I use maybe 2 quarts of beef broth a year so it isn't really worth my effort.

I have to confess that shelter-in-place isn't happening very well with me. The good news in that, however, is that I go to the store, buy what's on my list, leave and come home. I'm practicing social distancing, wearing my mask, wearing gloves, and either quarantining my purchases or disinfecting them as needed. I'm using and sanitizer or soap & water as needed.

My go-to supermarket does not offer a shop-for-you service. You want food from them, you do the shopping. I have no problem with this. My grocery budget goes much further there than the gimmicky typical chain stores.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Someone playing with their food while sheltering in place at her home;

"A woman is making stunning art out of toast"

Sasiki is making stunning artwork out of toast.
She said the idea came to her as she was home and became more intentional about what she ate.

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver