• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

4 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Any roadkill is best when very fresh (obviously) and only hit in the head.

There was one road near my home where your car was almost guaranteed to be hit head on by a suicidal grouse every time you went that way. One of my earliest memories was of my father slamming on the brakes and telling me to run back and get the critters.

They aren't the brightest of creatures, but sure are tasty.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

Flew into their living room window with a resounding smack and fell to the ground, dead of a broken neck.

A pheasant flew into my friend's large bay window in their finished basement almost 40 years ago — it was tasty! :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

Now I've got to add root beer and coffee ice cream to my shopping list.

Another good root beer float can be made with salted caramel ice cream, but most salted caramel is too sweet for me. 

For some strange reason, canned clams aren't available here. But I do have a pack of frozen clams from one of the Asian grocery stores. The owner was fascinated when I told him I was going to put them on pasta.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

15 hours ago, weinoo said:

As someone who has visited, and loves visiting places such as Gloucester, MA (home of the fictional Andrea Gail), and who has some acquaintances who fish as a job, I can attest to the fact that the life of a commercial fisherman or fisherwoman is tough...squared.

Andrea Gail is not fiction.  It is a true, and sad, story.   That storm was a whopper.

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Banana or plantains

Bananas!  They have turned yellow now 🙂

I got the strangest substitution to date in my last grocery order.  I asked for two packages of plain frozen udon noodles.  Instead, I received two packages of Bertolli frozen prepared pasta dinners.  One is chicken carbonara, and the other is shrimp scampi.  I am sending them to my mother in law's house.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I got the strangest substitution to date in my last grocery order.  I asked for two packages of plain frozen udon noodles.  Instead, I received two packages of Bertolli frozen prepared pasta dinners.  One is chicken carbonara, and the other is shrimp scampi.  I am sending them to my mother in law's house.  

Last order I asked for tomato paste and got 2 pounds of chicken breast instead. Can't stand- at least did not get charged.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, heidih said:

I'd read about the whole grouse hunting culture in romantic novels about the Scottish countryside. but who knew-  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/19/scottish-grouse-moor-owners-face-licensing-within-five-years

Roadkill harvest of larger critters like deer is a thing right? Free food. 

My college bestie cruised the roads in her Texas hometown in the early hours to collect dissection specimens. She is now a wonderful ,medical doctor.

Used to be in East Arkansas, if you hit and killed a deer, particularly if you disabled your car, you called the sheriff's department to send a wrecker. They'd also send a couple of trusties from the county jail who'd field-dress the deer, give a haunch to the wrecker operator in exchange for your tow fee, and take the rest back to the jail. And there would be venison for dinner in a day or two.

Waste not, and all that.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

These shopping services are squandering a great opportunity to get customers.  No reason that they cannot get the orders right or sensibly substitute.  Once this is over, I doubt many will use them again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

Last order I asked for tomato paste and got 2 pounds of chicken breast instead. Can't stand- at least did not get charged.

Sorry that happened to you.    My wife and I have had really good luck with our shoppers.    Usually one of us is online with the shopper when they go through the store.    We’ve gotten a couple of things that were sold out online but that they actually had in the store when we asked the shopper.    We tip well, too.

35 minutes ago, kayb said:

Used to be in East Arkansas, if you hit and killed a deer, particularly if you disabled your car, you called the sheriff's department to send a wrecker. They'd also send a couple of trusties from the county jail who'd field-dress the deer, give a haunch to the wrecker operator in exchange for your tow fee, and take the rest back to the jail. And there would be venison for dinner in a day or two.

Waste not, and all that.

The Mexican Gray Wolf project in our high country gets first crack at elk and deer roadkill for the pre-release wolf food.   The biologists butcher the carcasses roadside.   It's a sight to behold if you come upon it.

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Andrea Gail is not fiction.  It is a true, and sad, story.   That storm was a whopper.

Absolutely correct - don't know what I was thinking, or perhaps I wasn't.

Considering I've stood right here, I should know better...

IMG_1216.thumb.JPG.3da7c28bda3ed786b7c84807553a53ec.JPG

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 hours ago, weinoo said:

Hope those scallops didn't go into cans!

Oh, geez!!!!  .50 US per pound.   Thwy did pay for our new shoes in the fall.  Unfortunately this year the harvest started out good but the scaps were wiped out in a week or so .....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

17 hours ago, heidih said:

I'd read about the whole grouse hunting culture in romantic novels about the Scottish countryside. but who knew-  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/19/scottish-grouse-moor-owners-face-licensing-within-five-years

Roadkill harvest of larger critters like deer is a thing right? Free food. 

derful ,medical doctor.

when we lived in east Texas I saw more dead armadillos than live.   I believe it was about 90 to 1.....

up in this area of NJ or in the mid-Hudson Valley you have several options .....

keep the meat for yourself

offer it to a food bank

offer it in winter to the state to feed raptors.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

when we lived in east Texas I saw more dead armadillos than live.   I believe it was about 90 to 1.....

up in this area of NJ or in the mid-Hudson Valley you have several options .....

keep the meat for yourself

offer it to a food bank

offer it in winter to the state to feed raptors.

There are live armadillos? I thought they came into being dead on the side of the road, on their backs, feet up in the air...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

There are live armadillos? I thought they came into being dead on the side of the road, on their backs, feet up in the air...

Yes they were Jeannie's primary roadkill finds

You should stay away from armadillos, dead or alive. They are one of the few creatures that carry leprosy bacteria. Google it.:(

So I was in my Walmart Neighborhood Grocery store this weekend and saw one of those "grocery pick-up" employees putting together someone's order. The kid (about 18 years old) dashes over to the Produce section and grabs the first and nearest-to-him watermelon for the order he was putting together. No thumping, no looking at the yellow spot, etc. Just grab and run. 

This is the future of grocery shopping? Not for me.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have to say my grocery orders are known to feature strange substitutions, but the quality of the meat and produce delivered has been first rate.  In the last couple years I can think of only two exceptions:  potatoes that turned out to be green, and a cut of Emmentaler that had a small spot of mold.  Neither were obvious.  I think the shoppers do a fine and careful job.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Oh I think they do their best. The chicken breasts were just amusing. Kinda like "of all the gin joints" - why mine - bring me a free thing I do not like ;)

Edited by heidih (log)

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh I think they do their best. The chicken breasts were just amusing. Kinda like "of all the gin joints" - why mine - bring me a free thing I do not like ;)

They haven't sent me cauliflower yet.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

52 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have to say my grocery orders are known to feature strange substitutions, but the quality of the meat and produce delivered has been first rate.  In the last couple years I can think of only two exceptions:  potatoes that turned out to be green, and a cut of Emmentaler that had a small spot of mold.  Neither were obvious.  I think the shoppers do a fine and careful job.

Our shoppers have varied wildly in quality and in giving a damn. A couple were great, a couple needed a slap upside their head  

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Our shoppers have varied wildly in quality and in giving a damn. A couple were great, a couple needed a slap upside their head  

Oh i have had some entertaining ones. The childhood friend of Nipsey Hussle for example. Kind and sweet - checks on Nip's mama. Trading music with another. For someone like me who finds food shopping on par with some doing the Prada or Jimmy Choo thing - tough.

• Like 1

My Instacart shoppers have all been great. Good substitutions, most likely ones I would have made. One husband and wife did my Costco order which included a case of wine.   They both have other full time jobs. 

12 hours ago, kayb said:

Waste not, and all that.

A friend in Alaska said you can get on a roadkill registry there. If someone reports hitting an animal, they call the next person on the list to come get it within 24 hours. She posted pictures of herself and some other very messy women after cutting apart a moose.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.