• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

14 minutes ago, chromedome said:

When it gets into the last 1/3 to 1/4, I just refill it from a larger jar using a scrupulously clean and sanitized utensil. It's a modest amount of extra work (though no more than cutting and scraping the squeeze bottle, for sure) and it means I don't have to waste fridge space on my mayonnaise.

I don't understand.  Doesn't the larger jar have to go into the fridge also?

1 minute ago, lindag said:

I don't understand.  Doesn't the larger jar have to go into the fridge also?

Commercially prepared mayo itself doesn't require refrigeration, as long as it's uncontaminated by other foods (as an aside, in laboratory testing, it has shown itself to be pretty good at killing pathogens).

Over time its flavor or texture may degrade, but I use enough of it that this is not an issue. Homemade mayonnaise of course is a whole other story, and foods containing mayonnaise are susceptible to cross-contamination from the other ingredients.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

When it gets into the last 1/3 to 1/4, I just refill it from a larger jar using a scrupulously clean and sanitized utensil.

I also do this with the "normal" mayo (which I won't touch, Hellman's is demanded by the Household, not me) with a eternal squeeze bottle.   The Kewpie bottle is a design that cannot be refilled, it's narrow, tall and very supple.  It's weird, but iconic.   I've never seen jarred Kewpie in my AO.  

2 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I also do this with the "normal" mayo (which I won't touch, Hellman's is demanded by the Household, not me) with a eternal squeeze bottle.   The Kewpie bottle is a design that cannot be refilled, it's narrow, tall and very supple.  It's weird, but iconic.   I've never seen jarred Kewpie in my AO.  

Okay, that's a crucial detail for sure. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@liuzhou  What are kewpie mayo's used for?  Is the regular one the same as what we have here?  And what is the sweet one used for?

As far as I can make out, most of it is used as a dressing for revolting fruit salads - both regular and sweet versions. And slathered on "pizzas" and "sushi", both of which have been fashionable in recent times.

I guess the regular one is the same as what you have there, but I've never been there, so can't be sure.

Almost the only times I use mayo of any sort are with potato salad or tartar sauce, but I make my own and certainly don't sweeten it. The non-sweet Kewpie version does contain sugar according to the ingredient list.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

When we were in Beijing, we visited a tea house with one of my wife's friends and another person we ran into while walking through the hutongs to get there...  The owner of the tea house put out a huge spread of snacks for us (which we were all too full to eat since we just came from a large lunch), but among the snacks was a plate of fruit smothered in what looked like mayo....  I can only imagine that it's the kewpie stuff.... let's just say that curiosity did NOT get the best of me...

20160707_153029_HDR.thumb.jpg.fef7bea3c951eea2e2a93ca93accba58.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, KennethT said:

When we were in Beijing, we visited a tea house with one of my wife's friends and another person we ran into while walking through the hutongs to get there...  The owner of the tea house put out a huge spread of snacks for us (which we were all too full to eat since we just came from a large lunch), but among the snacks was a plate of fruit smothered in what looked like mayo....  I can only imagine that it's the kewpie stuff.... let's just say that curiosity did NOT get the best of me...

20160707_153029_HDR.thumb.jpg.fef7bea3c951eea2e2a93ca93accba58.jpg

Yes. That's typical. Horrible.

In fairness I will own the mayo and fruit thing as typical US Midwest. I am from California and even here was subjected to gloppy versions. Not anymore a thing but I am sure there are lots of cook booklets out there with versions. 

Ah, but if you're going to put mayo on fruit, you must then add a little grated cheddar cheese on top.  Off the Kraft block from the supermarket.

I will confess to occasionally getting a flashback moment and wanting this. Preferably on a mix of canned mandarin orange segments,  canned pineapple tidbits, and frozen grated coconut. With maraschino cherries, if you want to get fancy.

Actually, though, I only add the cheese on top if it's pineapple slices or canned pear halves.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@liuzhou  What are kewpie mayo's used for?  Is the regular one the same as what we have here?  And what is the sweet one used for?

Here's one current use for Kewpie mayo.:wink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I made it back to Shoprite.  It was a beautiful warm evening.  The mixed game recipe I am making for calls for:

1 grouse

1 partridge

1 quail

1 pheasant

However the recipe notes hare or venison may be substituted.  I guess I'll make do with chicken breasts.  And unlike last trip, Shoprite had hot peppers.  Only Jalapeno sadly, but one cannot be too picky in these times.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

27 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I made it back to Shoprite.  It was a beautiful warm evening.  The mixed game recipe I am making for calls for:

1 grouse

1 partridge

1 quail

1 pheasant

However the recipe notes hare or venison may be substituted.  I guess I'll make do with chicken breasts.  And unlike last trip, Shoprite had hot peppers.  Only Jalapeno sadly, but one cannot be too picky in these times.

I don't think you'd find that stuff in Shoprite in the best of times!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KennethT said:

And the song is missing

Bought a large pile of mixed dried wild mushrooms today. These will go in the emergency store.

Oyster mushrooms, tea tree mushrooms, chanterelles, almond mushrooms, cèpes, cordycep militaris, morels and bamboo pith mushrooms. All foraged in Yunnan province.

629500639_driedmushrooms1.thumb.jpg.84e8afe29ab63cc86bb29cacc01e5bb4.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I found a duck once.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

My usual Shoprite usually has duck in various incarnations - whole, breasts, legs as well as frozen rabbit.

I'd hit up Quattro's in Pleasant Valley NY for the other things.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Just now, KennethT said:

Ok... Duck is not hard to find... Or wasn't....  But grouse? 

As it happens, my GF's daughter had a grouse volunteer itself a couple of days ago. Flew into their living room window with a resounding smack and fell to the ground, dead of a broken neck.

Sadly they were uncertain about cleaning and cooking it (and didn't call me, which says the "eww" factor predominated) so they left it at the edge of the woods for the local critters to enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

But grouse?

Ruffed grouse can be one of the most difficult small game to bag.

You rarely notice them when they're at rest — when they take flight, the loud noise startles you so much that they're gone before you can recompose yourself. LOL xD

They're tasty though, when you do get lucky.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

So yesterday I decided I (we) wanted linguini with clam sauce for dinner, old school (like college days) style, which means canned clams. I have both canned clams and jarred clam juice (pandemic buying), and I'm looking forward to the pasta all day long.

I start making the sauce, everything is lined up. Some spring onion, garlic goes into olive oil. The jarred clam juice goes in with a little white wine. A few chopped tomatoes. Etc. etc. Then I open the can of clams and say to myself: "Man, these are the weirdest looking clams I've seen in a while, canned or not."

Well, there's a reason for everything...

Tuna.jpeg.a41e006faed5fb387b2c3fb2aab7967c.jpeg

So not only did I open the can of tuna, it's solid white! Like when did I even buy that shit? Oh well,

1199286129_Spaghetticontonno05-02.jpeg.3c6c5309de85f4a06735ae6b68c140c9.jpeg

Spaghetti con tonno, in a clammy sauce. Side of broccolini.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 11

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Many years ago, I had grouse in a scandinavian restaurant in NYC.  I loved it. But finding it in a supermarket? Fuhgedaboudit... maybe you could find it in a meat market that specializes in game  - like Ottomanelli in Manhattan, but I haven't been there in a really long time.

• Like 1

@weinoo, old school linguini and clams for me means specifically babysitting my younger brother. Whenever our parents went out we made linguini with white clam sauce  and paired it with a nice bottle of coke over ice. So canned clams are a nostalgia food for me, and pandemic cooking is all about nostalgia. The "why" of that eludes me. Perhaps sheltering in place gives me permission to buy and eat things that are usually not on my radar. In my case that means date nut bread with cream cheese, root beer floats with coffee ice cream, and, in my dreams, Papaya King. 

I seem to be susceptible to all kinds of suggestions lately. I've spent years whining (to myself naturally, as no one else wants to hear it as much as I do apparently) about the lack of hard shell clam varieties on the west coast, so perhaps this is the therapy I need. What brand of canned clams do you like best? I haven't bought them in a million years.

• Like 3

76FC92EA-977A-4FBF-A5EE-6775A80037F3.thumb.jpeg.fd14c8038cd25befdb2b3000bd4d8e01.jpeg

One day a sleeve of Ritz crackers and then there’s this — straight out of the jar. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog