• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

@liamsaunt 

what an astonishing assortment !  

how often do you get a ' share ? "

I wonder what the deli meat selection was 

only out of curiosity , nothing more

Im sure this was not inexpensive , and that's not the point

someone , somewhere , w imagination 

is moving from the system they had 

to a newer system that helps all involved.

their business ,  the delivery people , and your family.

very very nice .

very sad this sort of thinking will never percolate Up and Up some more.

there are solutions locally , and this one is an outstanding one.

Id get out my English Garden Spade 

which I used to love , doing ' double digging ' so long ago

and put that GBP  in a ceremonial compost hole

by itself , to compost , and eventually Id have a bit more grass to mow 

nice finding the share.

• Haha 2

Today's grocery shopping adventure...We really didn't need to go shopping today (the only critical shortage was half and half for his coffee), but he gets nervous whenever his friend calls him with shortage reports. He said the only packages of chicken breasts were the "bulk" packs (around 3 lbs). Since it was a small list, not too many screw ups other than ziploc regular gallon size bags instead of the freezer ones (I underlined freezer twice on the list to stress that). He said he thought because it was a zip close it meant it was for the freezer.😣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@liamsaunt 

what an astonishing assortment !  

how often do you get a ' share ? "

I wonder what the deli meat selection was 

only out of curiosity , nothing more

Im sure this was not inexpensive , and that's not the point

someone , somewhere , w imagination 

is moving from the system they had 

to a newer system that helps all involved.

their business ,  the delivery people , and your family.

very very nice .

very sad this sort of thinking will never percolate Up and Up some more.

there are solutions locally , and this one is an outstanding one.

Id get out my English Garden Spade 

which I used to love , doing ' double digging ' so long ago

and put that GBP  in a ceremonial compost hole

by itself , to compost , and eventually Id have a bit more grass to mow 

nice finding the share.

The share is once a week, delivered on Thursdays.  You have to opt in each week, so if you have too much food you can skip a week.  This week's share was $74.  The deli meat was turkey.

We ate the haddock tonight.  My 21 year old nephew is in quarantine with me and I made him cook dinner under my supervision.  I assigned my niece and nephew cleaning chores when they moved in but he begged off cleaning due to asthma, so now he is my sous chef instead haha.  He used the haddock to make moqueca, using a recipe I chose from Milk Street, the New Rules.  It was delicious.  

Oh, he refused to eat it of course.  He had burgers instead, which he also cooked.

moqueca.thumb.jpg.fb1f813744becd85c17e60473cad33ea.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

I've preached about this before all that's going on — growing perennial edibles rather than vain ornamentals.

There's still no interest that I see!

I give up!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

13 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I've preached about this before all that's going on — growing perennial edibles rather than vain ornamentals.

There's still no interest that I see!

I give up!!!

The ornamentals are being marketed as "cheer you up" but edibles are highly being marketed by the big boys locally. Curbside delivery of plants. daily emils. Pre-orders of trees and shrubs. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, heidih said:

The ornamentals are being marketed as "cheer you up" but edibles are highly being marketed by the big boys locally. Curbside delivery of plants. daily emils. Pre-orders of trees and shrubs. 

Yeah, seems the profit is in the ornamentals.

There are countless edible perennials that don't require marketing.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

48 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Yeah, seems the profit is in the ornamentals.

There are countless edible perennials that don't require marketing.

Well IGC's have to market and do draw in "the clueless sheep"  Example  https://www.armstronggarden.com/armstrong-garden-centers-torrance

On 4/22/2020 at 6:27 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

I am disabled.

I collect a monthy disability benefit.

I also receive $145 a month in SNAP benefits.

Luckily, I'm able to squeeze a penny till Lincoln farts — I can make the money go a long way — so I have no complaints about the amount I get, unlike some folks I know.

One problem in the time of a pandemic is the inability to order groceries for pickup or delivery, which means I'm forced to enter a store.

Walmart is the exception, I can order for pickup using SNAP — but the lead time is currently about 6 days, which means that they'll likely be out of stuff and I'll have to enter the store anyway to search for replacements.

And so it goes! :S

ETA: During the months of March and April, NYS upped my SNAP $49 per month, total $98 more than usual.

For Most Food Stamp Users, Online Shopping Isn’t an Option

Careless reporting!!!

"She [Ms. Smith] receives about $195 in SNAP benefits each month"

"her [Ms. Boon] $195 monthly benefit."

The maximum monthly SNAP benefit that an individual can receive is $194.

If they can get that simple, well known, fact correct, how many other lies does the article contain???

• Like 1

I noticed yesterday, when placing my Kroger order for pickup, they now offer the option of paying via SNAP card at pickup. Prior to that, the options had only been Google Pay, Apple Pay, and debit/credit card. I was glad to see SNAP recipients now have that option, at least here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I noticed today that Kewpie "mayo" is back in at least one store.

20200502_113757.thumb.jpg.679e4475e795aaeca62e5afc6d5c6201.jpg

What's the difference between the red and blue?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What's the difference between the red and blue?

Blue label indicates  it's Sweet.

• Thanks 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

24 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

It tells you on the label. In English. 😁

Not that I could read without a magnifier.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I've never seen it in a jar.  Only in the big squeezy thing.  Which I hate, because so much gets wasted.

We normally get both. I've never bought the toothpaste type and very rarely buy the jarred type. I think today is only the second time ever and I don't really know why I did!

I always make my own.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I've never seen it in a jar.  Only in the big squeezy thing.  Which I hate, because so much gets wasted.

I have resorted to cutting the top 1/3 off the bottle when I can't squeeze out anymore Kewpie and using a thin spatula to scrape out the remains of the bottle, Kewpie Frugality.  I think the squeeze bottle is quaint, but it sure ain't efficient.   But I will not give up my Kewpie, ever.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I have resorted to cutting the top 1/3 off the bottle when I can't squeeze out anymore Kewpie and using a thin spatula to scrape out the remains of the bottle, Kewpie Frugality.  I think the squeeze bottle is quaint, but it sure ain't efficient.   But I will not give up my Kewpie, ever.

I don't use kewpie (the notion of sweetened mayo doesn't appeal to me at all) but I keep my regular mayo in a squeeze bottle. That way it dispenses cleanly, and even when kids/grandkids are visiting I don't have to worry about a gunky utensil going back into the mayo (which leads to spoilage, potential food safety issues, etc).

When it gets into the last 1/3 to 1/4, I just refill it from a larger jar using a scrupulously clean and sanitized utensil. It's a modest amount of extra work (though no more than cutting and scraping the squeeze bottle, for sure) and it means I don't have to waste fridge space on my mayonnaise. Also, I can enjoy both the convenience of the squeezer and the lower cost/ml of buying in the large jar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning