• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

It looks like a rutabaga to me, but if you don't recognize it then perhaps not.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

25 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm with @Smithy.  Looks like jicama to me.

Way too dense for jicama . Our street fruit vendors sell jicama, cucucumber, pineapple and melon in a cup for refreshing nibbling.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Five threats to US food supply chains

1. Virus outbreaks at food plants
  2. Agricultural reliance on guest workers
  3. Supply chain mismatches
  4. Increased food insecurity
  5. Crunch on delivery capacity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I am disabled.

I collect a monthy disability benefit.

I also receive $145 a month in SNAP benefits.

Luckily, I'm able to squeeze a penny till Lincoln farts — I can make the money go a long way — so I have no complaints about the amount I get, unlike some folks I know.

One problem in the time of a pandemic is the inability to order groceries for pickup or delivery, which means I'm forced to enter a store.

Walmart is the exception, I can order for pickup using SNAP — but the lead time is currently about 6 days, which means that they'll likely be out of stuff and I'll have to enter the store anyway to search for replacements.

And so it goes! :S

ETA: During the months of March and April, NYS upped my SNAP $49 per month, total $98 more than usual.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3
  • Sad 5

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

If it's rutabaga, it'll have a brassica-type smell and a raw rutabaga taste. xD

I use it a lot, it is, compared to potatoes, relatively low in carbohydrates.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

Coronavirus at meatpacking plants worse than first thought, USA TODAY investigation finds

"And while experts say the industry has thus far maintained sufficient production despite infections in at least 2,200 workers at 48 plants,

there are fears that the number of cases could continue to rise and that meatpacking plants will become the next disaster zones."

Am I thinking clearly?

I want to make homemade bleach wipes for wiping down food packaging, etc.

It's said that a fresh solution should only be used.

The recommendation is 1/3 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water.

That's way too big of a batch!

1/3 cup equals 5.333 tablespoons, so, 5 tablespoons plus one ~teaspoon.

So, for a quart+ of solution it would be 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon bleach to one 1 quart of water or 2 teaspoons of bleach to 1 pint of water for a pint+ batch!?

I have early onset dementia so I don't always think clearly.

:huh:

• Like 2

Picked up my curbside order this morning.  There were three other cars waiting.

My order was complete although I had allowed a few subs,

‘Hey, I was thrilled overall.as I got the white flour and baking powder that wasn’t available last week.

I’m pretty much well-stocked for the next couple of weeks.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Am I thinking clearly?

It's said that a fresh solution should only be used.

The recommendation is 1/3 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water.

That's way too big of a batch!

1/3 cup equals 5.333 tablespoons, so, 5 tablespoons plus one ~teaspoon.

So, for a quart+ of solution it would be 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon bleach to one 1 quart of water or 2 teaspoons of bleach to 1 pint of water for a pint+ batch!?

I have early onset dementia so I don't always think clearly.

:huh:

Mr. Kim (math guy - he does it for a living) and Alexa agree that you are correct.  1 qt. + 1T and 1t. is the correct solution.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Thanks, that's consistant with what I calculated for a pint (2 cups) — 2 teaspoons per pint.

22 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'll buy some cheap dishclothes at Walmart.

• Like 2

Having trouble putting together a $35+ Amazon Pantry order?

Add some organic dill weed!!!

Amazon Pantry SUCKS!!!

image.png.9888ee9dc122d03979232e4beea98cc6.png

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Way too dense for jicama . Our street fruit vendors sell jicama, cucucumber, pineapple and melon in a cup for refreshing nibbling.

Yeah - it's a rutabaga. The skin is slightly reddish under all that, ummm, storage stuff. I'd for sure know a jicama - I lived in California for a long time!

Anyway, turnips, rutabaga, kohlrabi, radishes...I'm turning into both my Austrian and Polish grandmothers.

• Haha 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Thanks, that's consistant with what I calculated for a pint (2 cups) — 2 teaspoons per pint.

The other thing to remember is that chlorine evaporates pretty quickly, so you need to make up small batches daily.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The other thing to remember is that chlorine evaporates pretty quickly, so you need to make up small batches daily.

Yeah, I mentioned that fresh batches are recommended.

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Sure rutabaga (or as I know it, 'neep'). All you need now is the haggis to make haggis, tatties and neeps. 🥂

We call them "Swedes"

eta: I thought neeps were turnips

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

6 minutes ago, haresfur said:

We call them "Swedes"

Yes, we do that in Scotland, too. Swedes or turnips or neeps. In London, always Swedes, as I remember.

In China, we call them unavailable!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto