• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I think it is a little more than that if you look at the supply chain.. Tom Coliccio had some impressive and scary thoughts to share. https://soundcloud.com/user-306003081/special-sauce-tom-colicchio-1

Insert a Homer Simpson "DOH!" here. I went to my local Lowe's last night after work. 

They usually carry bleach but when the shut-down happened that first wave of hoarders bought every last bottle of bleach and it hasn't been restocked. I was greeted by empty shelves.

Plus, I found that my local Lowe's doesn't carry paper products like my brother's Lowe's does down in San Diego. Two strikes. So it's back to Walmart, I guess. :(

On the other hand, someone in this discussion mentioned trouble finding Nitrile gloves and I saw that Lowe's had a bunch of them (brand name Clorox) in their Cleaning Supplies aisle. So that's a plus, I guess.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I ventured forth to Sam's today, as I was down to a single protein shake and those accompany breakfast every morning. Produce and meat seemed well stocked, though they did have limits on meat. I looked and they had flour and sugar, and appeared to have most canned foods. There were paper towels but no TP; fortunately, I'm still well stocked from the giant pack I bought there about the time all this started in early March. No wipes, no Lysol spray. 

When I picked up my Kroger order on Saturday, I drove past the front of the store, thinking I might dash in and pick up two or three things I failed to order. Nope. I don't think there were a dozen parking places in the lot, and fewer than 20 percent of the people I saw going in and out were wearing masks. Really, people? Decided there was nothing else I needed that badly. 

Not food, but today I went to Lowe's to pick up hydrangeas, because I wanted to plant hydrangeas in one of my back yard flower beds. Lowe's was covered up -- but at least well more than half the folks in there were wearing masks.

Our governor is talking about limited reopening May 4. Not exactly sure what "limited" is going to mean. We have just over 2,000 cases in the entire state, and more than 500 of those are in the prison system. Our new case count is dropping. I'm not giving up my mask anytime soon, though.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Ja our main garden center (Armstrong chain) is doing curbside & even delivery for larger orders.  Love hydrangeas. For you - a greenhouse in north San Diego county few years ago

hydr.JPG

• Like 7

Actor Stanley Tucci is sheltering at home and is teaching everyone how to make a Negroni on his Instagram.

Perhaps @Kerry Beal can grade his mixology.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Actor Stanley Tucci is sheltering at home and is teaching everyone how to make a Negroni on his Instagram.

You are the second person who has mentioned Stanley Tucci mixing a Negroni and connected it with me today! What are the odds of that. I'm becoming predictable!

• Haha 15

I ordered a vegetable box from some vendor at the Union Square Greenmarket; I admit I was disappointed at just how many radishes came in it.  Radishes and rutabagas.  Very little *spring*.  But I'm eating it.  I think of rutabagas as thanksgiving food, but I guess I have every reason to be thankful right this moment -- I've lost three family members and one friend to Covid so far (each of whom had serious risk factors); but I'm hanging in here, healthy.  We actually did a funeral over zoom last weekend.  

@liamsaunt, those Maine marfax beans are delicious.  I actually have some soaking now -- I order them from Baer's Best, a delightful Maine farmer who grows several New England heirlooms beans.   It was funny to come across your picture!  

On food, things are fine up in here.  I've had three vegetable deliveries in six weeks, plus one large order from Murray's Cheese; and I always had way too many beans around.  I had filled my freezer with beef and pork and lamb in January.  So there is plenty of high-calorie eating around here.  

That said, I'm now hunting for on-line vendors of frozen meals.  I know that the "TV Dinner" game has changed for the better, and I've got a 77-year old loved one in rural Maine who just can't go out for a few more weeks.  I'm made all kinds of arrangements to get her meat and vegetables, but now I'm thinking we just need to get some prepared meals up in there.   Does anyone know of any online vendors who sell direct-to-consumer frozen dinners?  I mean, decent-tasting ones???  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Sad 11

@SLB  My deepest condolences to you and your family and friends during this time.

Regarding your elderly rural Maine loved one, maybe Schwan's?  I have absolutely no experience with Schwan's but some of my Midwest and NE relatives use them and seem to be very pleased with the meals.

Also, Costco has an online version of Schwan's frozen meals (at the Costco discount with delivery included).   I trust Costco, so I'd imagine the delivery would be well executed. 

Here is a link off the Costco website detailing all the Schwan's choices they are offering at the moment.

• Like 2

Thank you all, for both the condolences and the recs.  It's a weird time.  And -- to stay on topic, sort of -- you can't even bring a dish, you know? 

My family would put their foot into those repast dishes, you know what I mean?  And now, everybody has to stay away, just to try to make it through.  

• Sad 3

@SLB, I am so very sorry for your losses. We are only very lightly touched by the virus here in Arkansas;  so far, I have lost only one acquaintance, to whom I was not very close.

Re: freezer meals. Schwans is good, but some things are a little more highly spiced than some elderly might like. You might check and see if there are any "mom and pop" places nearby that specialize in frozen meals; we have one here, and I patronize it sometimes. They do both plates and entree and/or side-sized dishes for four or eight.

Not sure how far away you are from this relative. If you're close, you might make some freezer meals yourself to deliver. I do that frequently with leftovers.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

Oh, you know I would!  Honestly -- that's probably the business I wish I was in, making old people food they actually want to eat. 

But I'm in NYC, and she is in rural Maine.  Someone made a mistake in there . . .

And yes, I'm checking with a local cook who makes take-out food, but she's actually having inventory problems, herself.   

But I'm digging into Schwan's now.  (I'm also enjoying how similar it sounds to the tv dinner of my childhood:  Swansons!).  

Thanks, all!

• Like 4

The yeast I ordered from King Arthur on 4/4 finally shipped, I may be able to make bagels this weekend.👍 I have the wrong kind of flour, but I don't care at this point, I'm ready for a project. I've saved some "cheater" recipes which will be fine for a newbie like me.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@SLB - Just wanted to say how sorry I am about your loved ones.  You will be in my thoughts.  Glad that you have your loved one in Maine to help and that she has you!  I felt your comment about not being able to bring a dish.  That is my first instinct when someone I know has any kind of trouble.  And we can't even do that now.  

56 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I felt your comment about not being able to bring a dish.  That is my first instinct when someone I know has any kind of trouble.  And we can't even do that now.  

Actually, you can. I have been making up dinners (foil containers from Dollar Tree), bagging them, and delivering once or twice a week to an elderly lady with no family who goes to my church. I just call her, tell her I'm leaving them on the porch, put them down, ring the bell and go. Since the foil containers are disposable, no worries about getting dishes back to me. Keeps leftovers from mouldering in the fridge, too.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

58 minutes ago, kayb said:

Actually, you can. I have been making up dinners (foil containers from Dollar Tree), bagging them, and delivering once or twice a week to an elderly lady with no family who goes to my church. I just call her, tell her I'm leaving them on the porch, put them down, ring the bell and go. Since the foil containers are disposable, no worries about getting dishes back to me. Keeps leftovers from mouldering in the fridge, too.

No one I know will eat other people's food except for Mr. Kim's dad and stepmom.  They are deniers who drop by after wandering around Walmart because they are bored and want to visit, even though they've been told not to.  They even try to visit the grandchildren, one of whom is a 5 year old who had pneumonia in February.  😠  So, I'm not feeling too kindly towards them.  Let them make their own goodies.  😉

• Like 4

For those of you who are trying to book slots for grocery deliveries, I just read online that someone has programmed a bot that books slots automatically. It makes me wonder if they're trying to sell the slots to make money.

If grocery delivery is the future of grocery shopping, the grocery stores are going to have come up with a way to stop bots from taking delivery slots.

edited to add:

This is completely off the subject, but if anyone desires those gigantic wall clocks Joanna Gaines uses (as a crutch) on her HGTV home make-overs, I stumbled across an aisle full of them at Lowe's when I recently tried to find their Cleaning Product aisle. :B

Edited by Toliver
to add something else to my post instead of double-posting. The edited again for spelling. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Tim Oliver

@SLB That is a lot of loss - risk factors or not

Regarding elderly eaters my experience with my dad and a friend's father in law who were always anti-spicy is that they began to want more as they aged 80's & 90's. Anecdotally I have heard that the nose and the taste buds kinda "wear out"

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

@SLB I am very sorry for your loss of family and friend.  Stay strong and healthy.  And keep cooking.  And keep eating.  Taking care of yourself is very important in times like this.

• Like 2

This came in a box of vegetables I received on Saturday and I have no idea what it is...

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.ac57d8699c4b66c32117f14e79b74738.JPG\

The 2 pieces on the left; on the right, some celeriac ready to be shredded. So I thought it was celeriac before opening it, but no.  It's almost a little sweeter, with a sort of bitter finish (raw, of course.) Here's a close-up of a cut half...

IMG_0689.thumb.JPG.f3d4baafd31f51f40fc9d9572b81219f.JPG

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 hours ago, Toliver said:

Well, Kerry didn't grade, but I will - he gets a "D."  

Who shakes a Negroni?

Who uses vodka in a Negroni?

And while Antica is lovely, how dare him diss Martini.

I changed my mind: "D-"

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

This came in a box of vegetables I received on Saturday and I have no idea what it is...

IMG_0687.thumb.JPG.ac57d8699c4b66c32117f14e79b74738.JPG\

The 2 pieces on the left; on the right, some celeriac ready to be shredded. So I thought it was celeriac before opening it, but no.  It's almost a little sweeter, with a sort of bitter finish (raw, of course.) Here's a close-up of a cut half...

IMG_0689.thumb.JPG.f3d4baafd31f51f40fc9d9572b81219f.JPG

Jicama, perhaps?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown