• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

1 minute ago, liamsaunt said:

Here is today’s vegetable share. The bag is pea shoots. I am getting overrun with potatoes! Pierogis are on the menu on Friday so that should help a bit.

i do not know what kind of beans they gave me. Can anyone ID them for me? I do not really cook with dried beans other than the black and cannellini varieties.

1C2D99A4-3673-43E7-8C1F-7F39D13EBCF5.thumb.jpeg.0aa285a7e13e89627173bc3511d996d4.jpeg

8C7899BB-320E-4038-BBF1-39C659A0BC56.thumb.jpeg.c54077ab9ab91e250ed7df36348faf2b.jpeg

They might be black-eyed peas, but I'm not sure.

20 minutes ago, Orbit said:

They might be black-eyed peas, but I'm not sure.

...or crowder peas, which (according to this article) are not the same thing?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I adore beans. My advice is that they are forgiving, Never had bad except too soft canned,. Just cook simply. You can always add flavor at service and as you simmer along taste for texture, Do not overthink the humble bean ;)

• Like 1

So I found out that they are Maine farfax beans.  Used to make baked beans. I loathe baked beans. I am going to see if my Mom wants them. We have a grocery trade thing going on. Today I swapped her pea shoots, panko breadcrumbs, sharp provolone cheese and grapefruit juice for four packages of Kerrygold butter.   

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

So I found out that they are Maine farfax beans.  Used to make baked beans. I loathe baked beans. I am going to see if my Mom wants them. We have a grocery trade thing going on. Today I swapped her pea shoots, panko breadcrumbs, sharp provolone cheese and grapefruit juice for four packages of Kerrygold butter.   

If your Mom doesn' want them, you could consider doing something else with those beans and see how they come out: for instance, make a dip with them, make a savory bean dish, or use them in soup. I'm with you on baked beans -- way too sweet for me! I finally figured out that I don't dislike beans, as such, as soon as I tried some without the molasses (etc) that are typical of Boston Baked Beans.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I had to go to the pharmacy this evening.  It seemed a waste to walk past Shoprite without going in.  The paper goods isle was empty.  The whole isle.  Not even a sign to announce that there was nothing.  Eggs were rationed to two dozen.  I found a carton on sale.  I was hoping for a leek but that was not to be.  There was a nice potato, however.  And I got eight limes.

That was it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Here is today’s vegetable share. The bag is pea shoots. I am getting overrun with potatoes! Pierogis are on the menu on Friday so that should help a bit.

i do not know what kind of beans they gave me. Can anyone ID them for me? I do not really cook with dried beans other than the black and cannellini varieties.

1C2D99A4-3673-43E7-8C1F-7F39D13EBCF5.thumb.jpeg.0aa285a7e13e89627173bc3511d996d4.jpeg

This looks surprisingly like a recent delivery of mine. Are those beets in the back?  If so, I also received one of the largest beets I've ever seen! I think borscht might be in our future.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

This looks surprisingly like a recent delivery of mine. Are those beets in the back?  If so, I also received one of the largest beets I've ever seen! I think borscht might be in our future.

No, they are massive sweet potatoes.  I still have the massive sweet potato they delivered last week too.  I am making them into curried roasted sweet potatoes on Saturday to serve with grilled D'Artagan poussins with mango salsa.

With the increasing difficulty/cost of scheduling peapod deliveries and stores around my area (Maryland D.C suburbs) being sold out of a lot of items, I've been buying more items online.  Anybody else doing the same?   What have you found, where are you shopping?

I've found:

1) World Market.  Who knew?   I think of them as a place that stocks little bottles of shelf stable European food, but they were doing free delivery over $50 and hadn't marked up their prices.   I bought a couple of things (tomato paste, ramen) that have been totally sold out around here.

2) Giordano's.   My boys fell in love with Chicago pizza after a trip there.   Two had birthdays in April and wanted pizza.  They were only charging about 20 bucks delivered for a frozen deep dish, which is about what they charge in the restaurant. 

3) Broadbent.   The sale Rotus posted a link to was super, ham and bacon are totally off the shelves around here. 

4) Rancho Gordo.   Back ordered for months, but still promising to send out beans

Edited by Dr. Teeth (log)
  • Like 5

eating out while eating in. Some interesting ideas. 

Here.

In Vancouver, Canada, Lee-Ann Strelzow and her husband Tony Strelzow started organising recipe challenges as a way to unite her family, spread across parts of the United States and Europe. A couple of times a week, they compete to see who can make the best-looking version of the same dish, by sending one another photos or video testimonials of the finished product. The winner has the honour of picking the recipe for the next challenge.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For over ten years now, local public radio station KCRW in conjunction with Evan Kleiman's Good Food radio show/podcast has been hosting an annual pie contest.  Since it had to be cancelled this year, the are doing an Instagram Pie Pageant with prizes for the best looking pie and the best pie story.  It's going on now and the deadline is tomorrow.  Anyone going to enter a pie?  Both winners get a Vitamix.

Looking at the early entries, this Easter empanada is my favorite since it's savory and I like the story, too. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

17 hours ago, Shelby said:

Well, I like this curbside Sam's thing.  Easy peasy.  Got everything I ordered.  I noted, though, that people were coming out of the store right and left with huge packs of TP.  Sooooo......I guess they don't sell online because it's going so fast, but maybe there is some to be had if I can go in without getting arrested because I'm personally not a member, just married to one lol.

Go for it. We'll take up a collection and go your bail.

16 hours ago, Smithy said:

...or crowder peas, which (according to this article) are not the same thing?

Crowder peas and black-eyed peas are assuredly NOT the same thing. Blackeyed peas are probably my least favorite of the legume family; I'll eat them on New Year's, but otherwise, the earthy taste is a bit too much. Crowders, on the other hand, are excellent, my second favorite behind purple-hulls.

I'm not acquainted with a Farfax bean, but I'd think you could sub them for cannelini in most bean dishes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

AFC9E234-E53E-4517-95C8-C69E38FA1AC1.thumb.jpeg.f5f0acb17d852119cd3fd9f09519d1d5.jpeg

So @Kerry Beal had some medical supplies to bring over to my house and surprise, surprise she needed milk for her tea.  Since she would have to be in a grocery store anyway she asked me if there was anything she could bring me.  I asked for a loaf of white wonder bread and a package of cooked ham.

It was nearly closing time for the supermarkets but I knew that near where she was was a Shoppers Drug Mart. This chain has recently been acquired by one of our big grocery chains and carries a fair selection of groceries. I thought she might have better luck there then hoping to be allowed into the supermarket depending on how long the line was.

She was able to get her milk, my bread but the ham was nowhere to be seen. She texted me if I would take bologna instead. I said sure. I had unlocked my back door so she slipped the bag of goodies inside. 

Didn’t quite know what I was going to do with baloney . But here it is in a very tasty sandwich.

Very lightly caramelized onion, two slices of fried bologna, a schmear of mustard on one piece of bread and a schmear of mayo on the other and the whole thing grilled. I would do it again even in ordinary times should they ever return.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It can be useful for weight maintenance issues to keep a food diary...just jot down how much and what you are eating...doing that will make you think...do I really need this now.  If the answer is ?  or maybe not but I want it....wait 15 minutes and see if you still have a craving for it.  Eating three meals a day and not relying on too much snacking may be helpful seeing that most snack things tend to be higher in calories unless of course it's veggies.  

Just trying to be helpful...please I am not receptive to 'diet bashing' so just give me a 'sad' or 'confused' emoji.

• Like 4

Funny post aside I was able to get another delivery tonight this time via Peapod (Stop and Shop). Absolutely no cold cuts and no toilet paper or even skin on, bone in chicken thighs. 
  That said I was able to get 3lbs or chicken breast, swordfish steaks, shrimp, flounder and a ton of frozen veggies for my parents (dad has a poultry allergy). I got two 12 packs of mega bounty paper towels (one for them, one for us) and the canned soup they requested. Plus 2 bottle of bleach and 2 bottles of Windex antibacterial cleaner so I gave them one. We each were able to get bananas and cherry tomatoes. They got cucumbers I got baby cucumbers (Maisey LOVES them) and zucchini. I also got a ham! It’s good in the fridge til June so I’m glad to have it. 
  I quickly realized we had no room for my parents things in our freezers so we packed it up in a box, I called my mom to let her know and we drove the 3 miles to their home, passing the (closed, it was 8pm) testing site on the way. I was freaked out when my parents small dog came running up to us, jumping and wanting attention. We didn’t have gloves or scarves because I *thought my parents knew to stay inside*. Nope. My dad came out with gloves and a scarf to hand me a blank check. 🙄🙈 money is the last thing on my mind right now, and I know how fortunate we are. It just sucked to stand as far away and grab the envelope and not be able to hug or kiss my dad. I kinda wanted to run inside and stay with them but, I am 40 years old and know better. Just tugged at my heart. But I am glad they’re staying home and relying on me. 

So the hunt for a new delivery time goes on. We are well stocked for now. And thank you to whomever mentioned Cost Plus World Market. I have Bistro gravy in my cart, along with a Bavarian pretzel baking packet and will slowly add as we make our way through our food. 

We have been good about using it. I’m pretty proud of that. I won’t buy anything I’ve never used and I haven’t panic purchased. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 5

The Speaker was outed with a freezer-full of artisan ice cream.  Freedom of Information.  I demand to know what brand it was.

Last night I put groceries in my amazon cart.  When I got up I saw that there was a delivery slot available.  But by then my leeks were out of stock.  Throughout the evening I watched the rest of my cart contents disappear.  Today is another day.

• Sad 5

I’m trying desperately to get a slot even on 4/30 with no results. I’m going to have to go out. I did get a cloth mask from Etsy so I’ll use that. My local Kings has plexiglas and set up aisles to go in one way only. 
 Better than my parents going out. 

• Like 3

My grocery order this week was a bit of a bust.  Fully half of the items were out of stock.

No white flour, no baking soda, no canned pumpkin (who's using all that pumpkin now?  I buy it for Lucy), 

no chocolate donuts, no chives, no tomato sauce and no ground chuck.  Still out of lamb shanks, too.

Oh well, I just add all those items to next week's list hoping for better results.

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Speaker was outed with a freezer-full of artisan ice cream.  Freedom of Information.  I demand to know what brand it was.

When I watched that segment, I spied quite a few pints of Jeni's

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night I put groceries in my amazon cart.  When I got up I saw that there was a delivery slot available.  But by then my leeks were out of stock.  Throughout the evening I watched the rest of my cart contents disappear.  Today is another day.

I've been wanting both bread flour and all-purpose flour and finally had both, plus a bonus bag of 00 pizza flour, in my cart at Central Milling the other day.  Mid-checkout, the doorbell rang -  my friend dropping off 2 cute kittens for me to mind - by the time I got back, the bread flour was out of stock.  Yesterday, the AP was out.  Today, it's all out.  

At least I've got kittens to play with 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, lindag said:

No white flour, no baking soda, no canned pumpkin (who's using all that pumpkin now?  I buy it for Lucy), 

I'm guessing it's unskilled bakers who plan to use it with a chocolate cake box mix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning