• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

31 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Spam

Oh hell! This is getting serious. Thank heaven I have four more cans in the cupboard.

• Haha 9
  • Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I know right??!!  Spam!  I couldn't believe it.

I always thought it was historically a wartime food - seems appropriate now,

• Like 4

Another adventure in food shopping, as DH brings home groceries with varying success (at the store just after 6am). Got the last good chunk of fresh ginger. No scallions. No peanut butter. Very little yogurt (I asked for the big tub of Fage 2% plain, he bought the little cup of 0% plain...sigh). Thankfully, I found that Target had peanut butter and some other canned goods I can use...so I hit that up for delivery. Grocery delivery time slots are impossible at this point.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I am out of coconut, raisins, craisins, dates and the like. Eyeballing the masses of citrus on my trees and I still have sugar - so - using the peels seems like a fun project. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

I am out of coconut, raisins, craisins, dates and the like. Eyeballing the masses of citrus on my trees and I still have sugar - so - using the peels seems like a fun project. 

I'm glad you have so much citrus :)  I know it's a nice feeling to "have"  extras of things right now.....if that makes sense.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Edited to say I would have gone in and shopped myself, but we took me off the Sam's card years ago ...really regretting that now because Ronnie is in the high risk category and I'm keeping him out of public places during this.  My friend's husband went Friday night and he scored some Clorox wipes.

You ought to be able to go in and shop with it anyway. No one ever looks at mine to see if my photo is, in fact, me.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

You ought to be able to go in and shop with it anyway. No one ever looks at mine to see if my photo is, in fact, me.

Really?  My Sam's has a person at the door that you have to show your card to.  

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Really?  My Sam's has a person at the door that you have to show your card to.  

Mine does periodically, but they never look at it closely. They just want to see that you have one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

Same here, although I go to Costco.  They are never even close enough to look at the picture.  Now that they should be 6 feet away, you should be fine.

Smaaaaart point.  Thanks :) 

• Like 2

Unless there's a drastic turn around very soon.

The house-of-cards north American culture is headed for catastrophic crisis.

This domino effect will be difficult to reverse once it starts.

Nearly every facet of life is at risk of upheaval, not the least of which is food security.

• Sad 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Nuts.com now has limited hours. They "open" at 9:00 a.m. EDT.

They haven't raised their prices like some. 

Their sweetened macaroon coconut has great flavor. I use a lot of the unsweetened coconut chips. 

I just used the last of the Royal raisins I got last fall to try. They are dark and intensely flavored.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The pandemic and weight gain. We are getting fat according to this.

You've seen the endless images of homemade bread, the sourdough-saturated social media. You've read about friends who are eschewing fitted attire for the the elastic freedom of sweat pants. You've heeded the siren call of local restaurants offering comfort food to go in a time of crisis.

If COVID-19 is the front line, then there's a slowly expanding flank at the rear. Call it the "COVID-19 pounds."

Covid-19 Pounds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Shelby said:

I know right??!!  Spam!  I couldn't believe it.

Yesterday I searched for kosher salt on Amazon pantry and they suggested Spam as an alternative.

I got a delivery from a local farm yesterday.  They have a store that sells both things they grow (which right now is basically only greens and herbs), and vegetables brought in from elsewhere.  I got everything I asked for except for watermelon radishes, and they only gave me one package of pirogies instead of the two I requested.  Conversely, I asked for one hand sanitizer produced by a local distillery as that was the limit, and they gave me two for some reason.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

The pandemic and weight gain. We are getting fat according to this.

You've seen the endless images of homemade bread, the sourdough-saturated social media. You've read about friends who are eschewing fitted attire for the the elastic freedom of sweat pants. You've heeded the siren call of local restaurants offering comfort food to go in a time of crisis.

If COVID-19 is the front line, then there's a slowly expanding flank at the rear. Call it the "COVID-19 pounds."

Covid-19 Pounds.

This is now a common discussion. "take off the pajamas and wear real clothes for a reality check". I am not finding eating a thing but  am used to working from home. Speaking with others newly working from home I do hear they eat more because the damper of others judging what you eat is lifted. ??? 1st world problems?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Yesterday I searched for kosher salt on Amazon pantry and they suggested Spam as an alternative.

😂

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

LOL The "salt" part, I get. Kosher? Not so much...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Toilet paper seems to have returned to the shelves here, though eggs are hit and miss. My husband says we're saving a lot of money by cooking at home, but he hasn't seen my wine.com order....

• Haha 10

Well, I like this curbside Sam's thing.  Easy peasy.  Got everything I ordered.  I noted, though, that people were coming out of the store right and left with huge packs of TP.  Sooooo......I guess they don't sell online because it's going so fast, but maybe there is some to be had if I can go in without getting arrested because I'm personally not a member, just married to one lol.

• Like 7

I wonder how the take-out/deliver container supply is holding up!? :huh:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Here is today’s vegetable share. The bag is pea shoots. I am getting overrun with potatoes! Pierogis are on the menu on Friday so that should help a bit.

i do not know what kind of beans they gave me. Can anyone ID them for me? I do not really cook with dried beans other than the black and cannellini varieties.

1C2D99A4-3673-43E7-8C1F-7F39D13EBCF5.thumb.jpeg.0aa285a7e13e89627173bc3511d996d4.jpeg

8C7899BB-320E-4038-BBF1-39C659A0BC56.thumb.jpeg.c54077ab9ab91e250ed7df36348faf2b.jpeg

• Like 4