• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

A look at some of the things they have to think about on the industry/regulatory side. It's Canada-specific, but similar discussions will be taking place in other countries as well.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/shockproofing-canada-empty-grocer-shelves-dont-signal-food-security-issues-but-there-are-challenges-looming

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

your cooking link did not work for me.

Im enjoying watching PBS 

Chef Vivian Howard :

https://www.pbs.org/food/shows/somewhere-south/

mentioned before by me

Try this

Here

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

there are now distressing reports of Meat processing plants closing

due to the corona virus.     a Pork processing plant in the mid-west

has 1/2 of the states  corona cases and has closed.

this pant processes % 5 of the USA pork.

the Swells  need to look into this toot sweet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got another grocery delivery last night.  Finally received chicken, but no carrots, cornstarch or mint.  No bread flour, but they swapped in all purpose flour, which I will use eventually.  I'm giving half of it to my mom.  Obviously no Clorox wipes or paper towels.  I was just happy to get the milk, wine, butter, and eggs that I wanted.

• Like 7

This week I told my husband that we are going to pick recipes and make a shopping list focused towards those, rather than purchasing random items (or the same items over and over again). I've gotten pretty good at figuring out the expected life of certain produce, so I know what can stay for an entire week (or more) without degrading too much. Only casualty so far has been a bag of chopped salad mix that he kept saying he would eat...until I finally opened it and confirmed it had gone slimy. Saved the dressing packet and bag of crunchy garnishes, though. Once it warms up a bit and we can bring out the grill, I plan to make good use of that for cooking large quantities of chicken and vegetables for freezer stock.

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I have enough leftovers in the fridge to eat all week, in one planned-over fashion or another. Still have lots of vegetable soup, which is likely on tap for today. I broke down the ham this morning, and the bone is presently in the IP making stock. I'm going to run the non-sliceable chunks of ham through the food processor; the resultant chopped ham will go into fritters, ham salad, and breakfast muffins (gluten free baking mix makes good ones that are a cross between muffins and egg bites). The slices will make croque madames, Cubanos, and some may get heated with pineapple. And some will get vacuum packed and go into the freezer.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

27 minutes ago, kayb said:

I have enough leftovers in the fridge to eat all week, in one planned-over fashion or another. Still have lots of vegetable soup, which is likely on tap for today. I broke down the ham this morning, and the bone is presently in the IP making stock. I'm going to run the non-sliceable chunks of ham through the food processor; the resultant chopped ham will go into fritters, ham salad, and breakfast muffins (gluten free baking mix makes good ones that are a cross between muffins and egg bites). The slices will make croque madames, Cubanos, and some may get heated with pineapple. And some will get vacuum packed and go into the freezer.

I have a question about stock making with a ham bone.  All I've ever used ham stock for is beans and greens.  What other uses are there that I'm missing?  My instinct is telling me that it wouldn't work to make a gravy for pork.  

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

21 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I have a question about stock making with a ham bone.  All I've ever used ham stock for is beans and greens.  What other uses are there that I'm missing?  My instinct is telling me that it wouldn't work to make a gravy for pork.  

I use ham broth in a "summer borscht" I learned from my ex's grandmother: add new baby potatoes, beet/turnip tops or other early greens, and a big handful of fresh dill. Serve with a splash of buttermilk.

I *do* make ham gravy, which ordinarily goes with my ham meal (duh) but is also great with biscuits, mashed potatoes and suchlike. You can also use it in smaller quantities to lend flavor to the bechamel in casseroles, or as a subtle flavoring element in savory baked goods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 5:18 PM, Kerry Beal said:

But I've got absolutely no flour left here now!

And there is none in the grocery stores in Peterborough, Ontario, our nearby city...nor in the tiny whistle stop town just north of us.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Which blade, Kay?

I just use the regular chopping blade. Cut the ham into about 1-inch chunks, and process in batches. I pulse it until it's as fine as I want. Then I vac-seal about in one-cup portions and freeze.

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I use it mostly for beans, but I've used it in other soups that'll handle a stronger stock than chicken. I don't see why you couldn't use it to make gravy for pork. It's also good to cook rice with for some applications.

• Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

For the benefit of any Canadian peeps who have access to one, Bulk Barn has yeast. You're limited to a pre-measured 1 cup, but that's certainly enough to be going on with.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gfweb said:

It all mystifies me. Wouldn't touch it.

We did it on bread when I was younger but toast is better. Several friends talked about their parents eating beans on toast or bread in the depression. One of the major food groups for another's autistic son.

Curry powder is a good addition to jazz up tinned beans. Heinz beans are in a bit short supply here but there are usually a few cans on the shelf. I still haven't figured out the difference between the original and British Recipe - both are pretty bland to my taste.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I posted about this before. In terms of food chain I am concerned about our migrant workers who are huge in produce, dairy, and meat. My son's company (national) has given up on some of the delivery services like Insta Cart because you do not know what you are going to get especially substitutions. Some of the kids have strong eating disorders. Staff takes all the precautions and risks the lines at Costco and such - they get priority entry. Here first responder and disaster relief categories get priority. 

• Like 4

Went to Harris Teeter at Pentagon City at 7 am today (office meeting was canceled and I enjoyed a later than usual start of the day).  It was raining like crazy too.  So there were three more shoppers in the whole store.  OK, may be five.  Everything I needed was in stock.  Bonus boneless chicken thighs best by 4/14 at half price.  

• Like 7

On 4/11/2020 at 10:29 PM, KennethT said:

In our neck of the woods, "cheap bags of Mexican limes" is a complete oxymoron. Relatively small bags (1 lb) is about $5

You gotta come downtown, @KennethT. Well, not yet. And not without a mask. Stay up on the ues.  I often get limes at 5 for $1.

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Oh it's really a great stock.  When we were in Barcelona (sigh, in 2016)...this soup...

1985971684_Jamonsoupwpeas2016_12_175101.1.thumb.JPG.0460045030c4e9d8ccb7e92e756671a4.JPG

jamon stock, with peas, tendrils, and crispy ham, was just great.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

You gotta come downtown, @KennethT. Well, not yet. And not without a mask. Stay up on the ues.  I often get limes at 5 for $1.

I used to go down to the Essex Market (before they moved) once in a while and I'd see the vendors selling limes 10 for $1 back then.... but I was talking specifically about Mexican Limes - or key limes...  I don't know if I ever saw those there, but I've seen them in Fairway from time to time...

• Like 1

Our last few days of cooking and eating.

Along with the brisket for seder night #1...

1155543809_MatzoballsoupIMG_0537.jpeg.697d488ce712cd7178c75754eb8429cd.jpeg

Matzo ball soup.

469259893_Potatokugel04-08.jpeg.99374c12ad4a1abf977ff759df45a799.jpeg

Potato kugel. Came out quite tasty...

1306729711_Brisketandkugel.jpeg.e814d7c0782a0db5947bbd244087538b.jpeg

Plated with the brisket, which was braised in a Marcella-ish style.  Next time, more classic - I want a beefier gravy.

Having matzo around usually leads to at least one breakfast containing said ingredient...

327396256_Matzobrei04-09PSBN4148.jpeg.39628f80f70c1d0b4622948a3751c84b.jpeg

So matzo brei it was.  We're not observant, though I do enjoy the ceremonial meals.  So it was back to baking...

1139106239_BananabreadloafIMG_0560.jpeg.16821f2f834681e2ab0394eae5c6e571.jpeg

61219248_Bananabreadcut04-10.jpeg.8e05ab1c9a861f692d85faf30067c266.jpeg

Banana bread from the King Arthur baking book, instead of my usual Nick Malgieri one.  Nice and moist, as the batter contains a cup of buttermilk (kefir, in this case).

1479711310_Poussinpanroasted04-10.jpeg.80dc8cc59e69b874abdfe87183426ad6.jpeg

I pan roasted a couple of D'artagnan poussins. Note the fond, which made for a lovely pan jus. 

The leftovers were nice for lunch the next day...

838973898_ChickensaladsandBDMP4879.jpeg.0143f4911e670bcb1c36a2a2a157ba63.jpeg

As open-faced sandwiches, served with cole slaw and pickled red onions.

This gratin...

332170759_GratinpotatoesandfennelIMG_0565.jpeg.824fed1a20afb3e2fa6ab36aaa0f0d12.jpeg

Of  potato and fennel, I served with the braised porcelet collar...

1237298155_PorceletcollarandgratinIMG_0567.jpeg.e6350a0f60db978cb5c4640974440820.jpeg

Almost all the mushrooms I'd been delivered...

6547985_MushroomragoutIMG_0554.jpeg.af980fa7c214734b6c2d16546c7ec62c.jpeg

Were cooked into a ragout. To be served a few nights later. But before that, lunch yesterday...

919609441_PorceletcollarramenCKWA4075(1).jpeg.0ce75a191b790e9e103650e598484ee0.jpeg

Porcelet collar ramen. And a delivery from Saturday was dealt with...

301460787_RootvegIPFI7068.jpeg.c419047b38794b25cc9ea71d74949429.jpeg

Back to the kitchen!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

I've definitely seen them in the new market.

I wouldn't be surprised that they were there, I just haven't had a chance to go down there.  And now, it won't be for teh forseeable future since I don't want to take the subway if I don't absolutely have to, mask or no.

• Like 1

Sunday's dinner was pot roast done in the oven in my Le Creuset Dutch Oven, personally, the best way to do pot roast.

This one was small, so as not to have eternal leftovers, no matter how good they are.

I placed my weekly grocery order just know.  I keep checking the available pickup windows as they tend to get filled early on.

Already all of today's times are gone so  I went ahead with the order to get a time of 11-12N tomorrow.

I hope they still have flour although I've given up  all hope of getting any lamb shanks.  

• Like 2

I just placed my very first curbside (or maybe I have to go in, I dunno) pickup order from Sam's.  Supposedly it will be ready tomorrow and they will send me a text.  I'm hopefully getting a whole chicken, chicken wings, tomatoes, lettuce, butter, 18 pack of eggs, a wedge of parm cheese and a bag of limes.  We will see.  

Unavailable:

Clorox wipes

Toilet paper

Spam

Yeast

Sigh.  

Edited to say I would have gone in and shopped myself, but we took me off the Sam's card years ago ...really regretting that now because Ronnie is in the high risk category and I'm keeping him out of public places during this.  My friend's husband went Friday night and he scored some Clorox wipes.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7