• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

The local store limiting the number allowed inside at a time combined with a monetary supplement that many received yesterday from the government and knowing the store was going to be closed today meant there wasn't a chance in hell I was going near the place yesterday. As I expected, they were lined up along the entire outside of the building for most of the day. I know this isn't a laughing matter but I still chuckled a bit about how nothing really changes the core of how we think. Everybody has been buying everything on the shelves for the last month and they still had to do a panic shop because the store was going to be closed for one day. I've been preparing for a while now for last night's meal. I've wanted to do it for the past couple years but this was the first year I started planning far enough ahead to pull it off. So, despite the fact that I'm still not sheltering in place, it was indeed food in the time of a pandemic. The late start it got after work meant it was really late when it got done so there's no plated picture, I just plopped some in a bowl and sucked it down. I'll get a better picture today when I can enjoy it properly at a decent hour. :D Holy Thursday gumbo z'herbes on the stove cooking...

bozherbes.jpg

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 8

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:14 AM, Shelby said:

...Got everything except still no yeast to be found. 

Pssst...Shelby, don't tell anyone about this tip :ph34r:, but I saw it today online and thought it was brilliant.

You know those boxed pizza kits you can buy at the grocery store? Check on the box to see if, in the directions, it mentions adding the yeast....if so, the kit has yeast inside! Granted, it may not be a lot, but when the regular packages of yeast are sold out at least you can find it in the kits.Ta-da! xD

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

51 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Pssst...Shelby, don't tell anyone about this tip :ph34r:, but I saw it today online and thought it was brilliant.

You know those boxed pizza kits you can buy at the grocery store? Check on the box to see if, in the directions, it mentions adding the yeast....if so, the kit has yeast inside! Granted, it may not be a lot, but when the regular packages of yeast are sold out at least you can find it in the kits.Ta-da! xD

Or get a starter going using a small amount of whatever yeast you have and keep it fed so you've always got a healthy colony of yeast farting away for your bread making pleasure. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

11 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Or get a starter going using a small amount of whatever yeast you have and keep it fed so you've always got a healthy colony of yeast farting away for your bread making pleasure. :D

I've been told (by some credible sources) that commercial yeast does not reproduce.  So you may need to start with the indigenous yeasts of your own home.

38 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

I've been told (by some credible sources) that commercial yeast does not reproduce.  So you may need to start with the indigenous yeasts of your own home.

Think about it.  If commercial yeast didn't reproduce a lot of bread bakers would be out of business.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, IndyRob said:

You can absolutely, positively get a starter going with commercial yeast. I've done so on a few occasions, when I had the time and inclination to indulge in experimentation.

Over time your native local wild yeasts will indeed invade and colonize and crowd out the commercial yeasts. In the interim you've got something usable. The flavor won't be as complex as a sourdough with some years on it, but it's better than just a plain, quick-risen loaf.

...and infinitely better than no bread at all. :)

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, IndyRob said:

I'm not going to say your sources are incorrect but I started my sourdough starter with commercial yeast after having difficulty getting one going with natural yeast in the colder climate I live in. I pull it from the fridge, give it a couple feedings and I can bake bread without adding additional yeast.

25 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The flavor won't be as complex as a sourdough...

I was aware of this suggestion (from @Tri2Cook) but then you're constrained to a sourdough.

With the secret stash of yeast in the pizza kits, you could bake whatever you wanted.

Edited by Toliver
needed to clarify (log)
  • Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Turned the grandchild back over to his parents and decided while we were out we'd pick up dinner. Child A wanted Olive Garden. I did not (and never do). I opted for a pork barbecue plate from a local spot. 

20200410_191812.thumb.jpg.498dfa857e74d6c263790b454c86a460.jpg

Damn fine dinner for 10 bucks.

Apparently my town is turning out wholeheartedly to support restaurants. Every place we passed had a lot full of cars and servers scurrying back and forth.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Didn't really want to be bothered but braved Wollies grocery on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter since I was waiting for a script from the Chemist. Gonzo but not as bad as usual on the holiday weekend. People were distancing pretty well but I still probably should have worn a mask. Not part of our government advice here.

Got supplies to make Kimchi, not that I really need any but because I bought a beautiful crock a couple of months ago and it is getting cool enough out. The shelves were a bit sparse but there seemed to be some of everything including paper products.

Also went by the much reduced farmers market and got some veg, lamb, and cheese.

• Like 8

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

13 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

@shelby where are you?  i have two pounds of (dry) yeast at the shop, I will send you some

eta: forgot the @ sign

You are the best!  Thank you so much for your kindness.  I still have some so I'm good for now.  Surely by the time I run out the stores will have some.  Or, I'll just make crackers lol.

16 hours ago, Toliver said:

😳  Who knew????  I never would have thought of this.  Thank you!  I won't tell a soul.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

I hope you got those poussin on sale!  I like them pan roasted simplys; of course if I had a backyard, I'd be grilling them.

Yes, on sale.  D'Artagan has been running flash sales on various things.  I am having difficulty getting any meat in my deliveries from the grocery store, so have resorted to ordering from online purveyors.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Toliver said:

but then you're constrained to a sourdough

That's fair, something I didn't take into account. The "food in the time of a pandemic" thing has me thinking from a different angle. I figure if a shelter-in-place order happens, I'm not gonna be able to be pioneer man and go out hunting and gathering so I'll have to embrace the spirit of the pioneer woman. Which, I assume, means they used whatever source they had to make the bread rise. I am in no way a bread historian so I could be way off but I've always assumed before the availability of commercial yeast or easy access to baking powder, a sourdough starter was just a bread starter. The means to make the bread rise without need for the sour distinction since there wasn't an alternative. I realize this situation isn't likely to put us anywhere near that point but that's the approach I'm taking with my preparations. It's a small point of fun for me during a bad situation, thinking about how I'll keep us fed if running to the store becomes a non-option. :D

• Like 5

I'm working in the ER today. People are staying away in droves unless they really need to be here. Consequently I'm spending a fair bit of time in my call room. 

I had a call from Andrew - one of the nurses - apparently they had been discussing how they would like some cookies. So Andrew called asked if I had any cookies! I suggested he come down to the room and we'd see what we can put together with what I have here.

As we were rooting through my cupboard - Andrew noticed the TJ's olives - now we have an open jar of olives. 

IMG_1184.thumb.JPG.83775a630d96a420c3a81c04b651d2fe.JPG

They are excellent - I should have opened them long ago. It will be a while before I'm able to get more. 

IMG_1185.thumb.JPG.0e2302cb4da5cbe8c267dcd001849dfa.JPG

I found these in one of the cupboards - so microwaved them.

IMG_1186.thumb.JPG.957bc07caff765f6b0a15e0ffb5d790d.JPG

Had ingredients to make one of the cookies from the Ruhlman contest of a few years ago. Oatmeal with a few raisins. Didn't have any cinnamon or nutmeg so we flavored with lemon oil and black pepper. 

IMG_1187.thumb.JPG.e44dc8ca539f1064e4fb62b5cecb2e27.JPG

IMG_1188.thumb.JPG.4f8cb6da70e35135138ad3be66d9db4b.JPG

Just waiting for Andrew to come fetch the second and third tray.

They have just a hint of lemon and a bit of a bite from the freshly ground pepper.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Gardener worked his tail off yesterday removing a fallen tree impaled in the roof so I threw caution to the winds and tucked the nicely wrapped box of See's chocolates (in freezer from Christmas!) into the cab of hi truck. Was not mine but I found it necessary.  Pantry presents :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm working in the ER today. People are staying away in droves unless they really need to be here. Consequently I'm spending a fair bit of time in my call room. 

I had a call from Andrew - one of the nurses - apparently they had been discussing how they would like some cookies. So Andrew called asked if I had any cookies! I suggested he come down to the room and we'd see what we can put together with what I have here.

As we were rooting through my cupboard - Andrew noticed the TJ's olives - now we have an open jar of olives. 

IMG_1184.thumb.JPG.83775a630d96a420c3a81c04b651d2fe.JPG

They are excellent - I should have opened them long ago. It will be a while before I'm able to get more. 

IMG_1185.thumb.JPG.0e2302cb4da5cbe8c267dcd001849dfa.JPG

I found these in one of the cupboards - so microwaved them.

IMG_1186.thumb.JPG.957bc07caff765f6b0a15e0ffb5d790d.JPG

Had ingredients to make one of the cookies from the Ruhlman contest of a few years ago. Oatmeal with a few raisins. Didn't have any cinnamon or nutmeg so we flavored with lemon oil and black pepper. 

IMG_1187.thumb.JPG.e44dc8ca539f1064e4fb62b5cecb2e27.JPG

IMG_1188.thumb.JPG.4f8cb6da70e35135138ad3be66d9db4b.JPG

Just waiting for Andrew to come fetch the second and third tray.

They have just a hint of lemon and a bit of a bite from the freshly ground pepper.

I was just thinking about you and hoping all was well. I should have guessed you were busy feeding people. Thank you for all your hard work. Be well. p.s awesome "emergency" cookies!

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

People are staying away in droves unless they really need to be here.

Wouldn't it be nice if people could do that without the fear of a potentially deadly virus forcing them to? 

25 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So Andrew called asked if I had any cookies!

I think the staff there knows what we know... if you had nothing but 3 cotton balls, a clean rectal thermometer and a half eaten cheeseburger in the room, some tasty cookies would somehow come out. :D

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 11

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Kerry Beal  You've got to be the most resourceful person I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.  Good job!

But I've got absolutely no flour left here now!

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Which, I assume, means they used whatever source they had to make the bread rise. I am in no way a bread historian so I could be way off but I've always assumed before the availability of commercial yeast or easy access to baking powder, a sourdough starter was just a bread starter. The means to make the bread rise without need for the sour distinction since there wasn't an alternative.

Townsends has been covering bread in the frontiers for quite some time and I love the videos he does trying to decode how and what was used to make bread without readily available yeast.   Leaven and Bread with No Yeast are really interesting.   I have made a starter with locally foraged juniper berries.  It's fun to experiment with these techniques.

Not always successful but fun.

• Like 1