• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

Just now, Kim Shook said:

They sound like what we get as "spring onions" which are extremely mild.  I do not care for raw onions at all and I can eat these in a salad.  Are they mild?

I wouldn't know.  If the link works here is what they are:

https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B07FZKJ8QN?m=A1PJS817Y6LH7H&ref_=pn_spp_sp_149_img_A1PJS817Y6LH7H

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

https://primenow.amazon.com/dp/B07FZKJ8QN?m=A1PJS817Y6LH7H&ref_=pn_spp_sp_149_img_A1PJS817Y6LH7H

Did not work for me. It requested a ZIP Code which I don’t have. No onions seen..

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

They look like red Welsh onions.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Did not work for me. It requested a ZIP Code which I don’t have. No onions seen..

Under location, click on "Central New Jersey."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

31MZV66N9eL.jpg

Source: Whole Foods Market

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Under location, click on "Central New Jersey."

Well thank you. Now I see the onions we are discussing. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This was the 4th (and final) iteration for the corned beef I made last weekend. It was dinner a few nights ago...

32784761_Cornedbeefleftovers3IMG_0439.thumb.jpeg.21be50700a4c26dd1480e4cfed28153a.jpeg

Reheated with its vegetables from the initial cooking. In the steam girl, of course. Was great. Actually it was better for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th meals than it was for the 1st!

Lunch one day was was sorta tuna nicoise...

386361167_SaladnicoiseIMG_0445.jpeg.5b08acccc520fba954199c1eeae6caca.jpeg

Freshly made potato salad with that Ortiz tuna, aka decomposed Russian salad, over escarole hearts, celery, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, capers, and a few piparras.

This was dinner a couple of nights ago...

1887932139_Shrimpbroccoliplated2020-03-31(1).jpeg.af3445820d46393eca50aa9dac0505fd.jpeg

Shrimp in spicy bean sauce a la Henry Chung, the chef/owner of Hunan Restaurant, the first Hunanese restaurant I ever visited, in San Francisco maybe around 1980? Over really much better than expected Japanese short-grain brown rice.

That led into a dinner last night...

1028747743_Porkchopdinner04-02.jpeg.960ef5eab3c75a57c85b9c35ce92aefc.jpeg

A very nice pork chop (from fucking Fresh Direct!), pan roasted, with a mustard pan sauce. Rancho Gordo pintos, which were muy excellente. And some sautéed escarole with garlic and red pepper.

Breakfast has to be something healthy after all that...

926710092_Bfast2020-04-03.thumb.JPG.90dfbfab1d3bc9690c6568b0d59a3823.JPG

Cara caras.  Avocado tomato smush. Smoked king salmon. Two homemade breads toasted.

After which...

467235064_Biscottibakedoff.jpeg.58561a5de965b9a2d7f411eb55f27171.jpeg

That's a book I bought or was gifted on...

IMG_0465.thumb.JPG.353829454dc08c877733a00bb0461144.JPG

Keeping busy.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My Amazon Prime Now/Whole Foods order arrived.  My largest order to date.  Pretty much everything I wanted except a leek.  I even scored some red snapper on sale.

However  I may have over done it.  Big bottles of cream were substituted for little bottles of cream.  No room in the refrigerator.  Once I gather my strength I will try to rearrange the contents.  Hopefully without a shelf falling out this time.  Meanwhile a bottle of milk and three bottles of heavy cream are residing in the blast freezer.  Huge homeless cabbage sitting on the counter.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Lunch one day was was sorta tuna nicoise...

386361167_SaladnicoiseIMG_0445.jpeg.5b08acccc520fba954199c1eeae6caca.jpeg

Freshly made potato salad with that Ortiz tuna, aka decomposed Russian salad, over escarole hearts, celery, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, capers, and a few piparras.

Shrimp in spicy bean sauce a la Henry Chung, the chef/owner of Hunan Restaurant, the first Hunanese restaurant I ever visited, in San Francisco maybe around 1980? Over really much better than expected Japanese short-grain brown rice.

All I remember bout "food" SF in 1980 is Buena Vista. I have been admiring your tuna salads. Inspiring. The Japanese brown rice in the cooker was also a revelation to me. You hear "nutty and complex" and think blogger double speak. It can be really nice. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 11:32 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

It's the first week of the month, that means that most SSI, SSDI, SNAP, etc. payments become available.

Friends working at Walmart said it was like Black Friday there! :shock:

So much for social-distancing!!! :S

Scary!!! scare4.gif

Walmart will limit customers and create one-way traffic inside its stores

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

45 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Piggly Wiggly invented one-way traffic inside its store in 1916.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

31MZV66N9eL.jpg

Source: Whole Foods Market

That's the only kind of scallions I see here. Yes, quite mild. I use them raw or add as a garnish to stir fried dishes immediately before serving. They wilt slightly in the residual heat, but I wouldn't say they are cooked.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Dinner proceeds apace.  I removed everything from the top shelf of the refrigerator.  Everything.  Found stuff.  Few bottles of open wine.  Chateau Margaux '66, not the best year perhaps but OK in a pandemic.  Eventually I got almost everything back inside, including the Whole Foods milk and cream.  That freed up space in the blast freezer for the coleslaw.

Couple weeks ago as availabilities of food related goods were becoming dicey, I ordered a four pack of stretch-tite plastic wrap.  "Currently unavailable."  Sure glad I had it in the bedroom when the stretch-tite roll ran out tonight.

• Like 6

I proportioned tonight's sale priced Whole Foods red snapper fillet.  One part I reserved for dinner and two pieces I vacuum sealed and blast froze.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heidih said:

All I remember bout "food" SF in 1980 is Buena Vista. I have been admiring your tuna salads. Inspiring. The Japanese brown rice in the cooker was also a revelation to me. You hear "nutty and complex" and think blogger double speak. It can be really nice. 

Right - that wasn't food at the BV! But it sure made you feel good.

18 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Just scored a Wegmans Instacart delivery for the 9th!! 

I got an Instacart delivery yesterday - zero meat (no pork, no beef, no poultry) and lots of substitutions, some of which I guess I approved. 

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I got my grocery order Wednesday...only two items were no-shows, the elusive lamb shanks and living thyme.

Same day pickup, no delays.  I didn't order anything that was virus related, i.e., handwipes, Purell, TP or alcohol.  This time Lucy got her chicken livers; which  made her quite happy.

There was a major uptick in the amount of curbside orders...this was the first time I had to wait in line to get mine

due to the spreading of the word that for now there is no courtesy fee, anything free brings people out of the woodwork; people who would never order online if it meant there was an extra charge.

I have been ordering about once a week and it works well for me.  No more schlepping up and down the aisles or avoiding people who stand too close. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You know how there is an expression “eternity is two people and a ham”? I have the new version, two people and a 5 lb crate of clementines.

• Haha 10

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

4 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

You know how there is an expression “eternity is two people and a ham”? I have the new version, two people and a 5 lb crate of clementines.

A useful fix is squeeze and do the ice cube route. Dry some of the peel to use in stews. They are not long lifers so better to deal with sooner than later while still juicy.

I have not been able to get an order to go through from Wegmans or Whole Foods for a couple of weeks.  Luckily there is another grocery that I have been able to get deliveries from.  I had one scheduled for next Tuesday, but it showed up yesterday!  I got everything on my list except for white miso.  The only problem with this store is that I do not like their meat or fish options.  Their produce and dairy is OK though. Most of what I ordered is going to my parents' house.   They have finally stopped shopping in the stores after weeks of nagging.  

• Like 7

[Amazon Pantry] "Deliveries may take up to 21 days"

Here's a bargain: One can of 14.5 oz. Hunt's Petite Diced Tomatoes, $8.62

In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon Pantry.

Hunts.JPG

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

1 hour ago, heidih said:

A useful fix is squeeze and do the ice cube route. Dry some of the peel to use in stews. They are not long lifers so better to deal with sooner than later while still juicy.

That's good advice. Another possibility is to use that juice for citrus-marinated roast chicken. It's a forgiving recipe, and I think you'd use up most of the clementines getting enough juice unless you can supplement it with other citrus varieties. And yes, by all means dry the peel, or freeze the zest! That dried peel is not only good in stews, it's also a nice addition to oatmeal.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown