• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

282C6EDA-7E0B-45E6-872B-43E88EBC22E9.thumb.jpeg.81b8c85dd514ae7dcc1060e5fd159dea.jpegBFEC2DB1-8840-4ACE-A8DD-CE3E0F8134CE.thumb.jpeg.45b63611467543c21699e0599aa2c767.jpeg

King salmon, ocean trout, Atlantic salmon, salmon belly, kampachi and hamachi belly 

turns into....

76BF6DD2-753F-4692-BE95-C12024867833.thumb.jpeg.4885178bca96720ef7901c0dc45aba28.jpegF0534071-8446-46B2-B764-0C03A784B63C.thumb.jpeg.c69dde4e3b6ce319e0f6a79d98db0c62.jpeg

nigiri and rolls - seared belly with Yuzu soy..

to wash it down 

2783818C-60D1-4C66-9D06-6C851518FAD4.thumb.jpeg.6af2cdd569374c08b31c881a55e1e5f6.jpeg

wife’s bday dinner - ala isolation! 

That's a feast!

• Like 4

On 3/29/2020 at 4:15 PM, Shelby said:

I wasn't sure where to post this...gardening thread or the preserving thread or here.  Chose here.

All of the people that can and need jars and/or bands and lids might consider purchasing now.  I've noticed that on Amazon it's 3rd party sellers and not Amazon that have them and prices have gone WAY up.  

Edited to add...just like TP I'm afraid of a shortage in prime canning time.....I just want all of my EG friends to have enough supply to preserve their hard garden work.

Edited again to add that it looks like Walmart online has some at a decent price.

I should have warned folks about this weeks ago.

I did manage to get some of what I need....Walmart was sold out at at least one point.

My sister needs access to many lids—she sells jams, jellies, pickes, etc. out in North Dakota.

Quality brand name webcams went fast for those wishing to video chat!!! :shock:

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Throw it onto the fires of damnation!

Without a closed mind it is fun - kids love it  Like this . we did it once. Munchkins now hitting 30 still mention it

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

Without a closed mind it is fun - kids love it  Like this . we did it once. Munchkins now hitting 30 still mention it

It has nothing to do with a closed or open mind. If you don't like something, you just don't like it!

And not all kids love it!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's the first week of the month, that means that most SSI, SSDI, SNAP, etc. payments become available.

Friends working at Walmart said it was like Black Friday there! :shock:

So much for social-distancing!!! :S

Scary!!! scare4.gif

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Sad 6

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

44 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

It's the first week of the month, that means that most SSI, SSDI, SNAP, etc. payments become available.

Friends working at Walmart said it was like Black Friday there! :shock:

So much for social-distancing!!! :S

Scary!!! scare4.gif

It has been suggested elsewhere that those of us who are not amongst the people receiving benefits on the first of the month should be mindful and wait a few days before shopping so that those in need can get the distance required if possible. Also remember that not all foodstuffs qualify for SNAP, and if they get bought up, the folks who may really need them will be out of luck. Nothing is simple these days, and the balance of life as we are used to it has shifted. Things you never thought about before are out there waiting around the corner, minutes from now.  Stay safe as you are able.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

It has nothing to do with a closed or open mind. If you don't like something, you just don't like it!

And not all kids love it!

Edited to remove vitriol

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just to be clear—the point of my post is that social-distancing while shopping and such is imperative no matter the time of the month or method of payment.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, KennethT said:

What do you do with an ear of popping corn?  I assume it's for making popcorn, no?  Do you have to take the kernels off the cob?

Yes, it makes popcorn.  You just stick it in a paper bag and cook it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.  You can do it stovetop too--coat it in a little oil and put it in a pan with a lid and shake it around until it pops.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something that I've noticed while shopping for groceries has to do with keeping your social distance. There seems to be a basic correlation between age and keeping your distance. People that have lived several decades appear to take it much more seriously, whereas say 30 year olds and younger are a lot more likely to be ignoring it. It makes me appreciate the seniors time slots all the more.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Not everything at Whole Foods is expensive and/or overpriced. The produce prices seem comparable to other stores (for organic). The dried pasta (365 brand, organic) is good (IMO) and reasonably priced. There are bulk bins (I don't know how people feel about using these now). Stuff like balsamic vinegar also seems normally-priced (compared to other stores).

I think people like to buy the prepared foods (at Whole Foods). I don't buy the prepared foods, but I imagine it might be a budget-buster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Something that I've noticed while shopping for groceries has to do with keeping your social distance. There seems to be a basic correlation between age and keeping your distance. People that have lived several decades appear to take it much more seriously, whereas say 30 year olds and younger are a lot more likely to be ignoring it. It makes me appreciate the seniors time slots all the more.

My mileage varies on this. I was grocery shopping last weekend and got in line to checkout when a much older gentleman stood beside me (what social distancing?) and told me to watch his cart (which he parked behind me) as he needed to run and get a green bell pepper from the produce department. He barley made it back in time to checkout after me. Yakking with people on his way back to the checkout and totally ignoring social distancing the entire time.

Old. Young. Idiots come in all ages.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

48 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Old. Young. Idiots come in all ages.

Like the virus, stupidity respects no boundaries. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/29/2020 at 9:44 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Eating so little while home.   Just not  hungry.  Walking a lot, good for sanity,  and losing weight by the day.   Maybe not the thing to do during a pandemic.   

Maybe there was something behind the lack of appetite.   Recent diagnosis of right side kidney stone 2 days ago.    #2 and it’s kicking my butt

Recently I made a good glass of water, lots of them and ate an apple.  It was a really good apple 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

In the interests of avoiding unnecessary waste, what can I do with these tough asparagus stem ends? I started by peeling them before snapping them off, but they kept snapping at the natural break point of the stalk. Finally I lost patience and snapped them without peeling.

20200402_141327.jpg

I've read about tricks to use that part of the asparagus, but I'm drawing a blank. I'd rather not get a mouthful of wood from simply chewing them. Cut them into finer pieces, bag them in mesh like a bouquet garni, then use in a soup or stew?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Toliver 

""  green bell pepper ""

Ive have warned members here

over over and over again

about the

Evil , insidious 

GBP

See ?

So GBP = Harbinger of Doom? xD

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I've read about tricks to use that part of the asparagus, but I'm drawing a blank. I'd rather not get a mouthful of wood from simply chewing them. Cut them into finer pieces, bag them in mesh like a bouquet garni, then use in a soup or stew?

You can freeze them and when it's time for you to make stock, throw them in. They won't be eaten but will add flavor to the stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

41 minutes ago, Smithy said:

In the interests of avoiding unnecessary waste, what can I do with these tough asparagus stem ends? I started by peeling them before snapping them off, but they kept snapping at the natural break point of the stalk. Finally I lost patience and snapped them without peeling.

20200402_141327.jpg

When we had dogs, they used to line up to get their share!

• Like 1

Today is my birthday.  During the normal times it would mean fancy dinner.  Michelin, here I come.  Or something like that.  Today it means Russian salad that I used to make with my family for many years while living in Russia.  In Russia it is called salad Olivier.  It used to be made in vast quantities as far as I remember from my youth that happened to be in the 80s and 90s.  Potatoes, carrots, eggs,hot dogs all boiled together and mixed with pickles, herbs if you have them.  And of course obscene amount of mayo.  This is to my mother and grandmother who survived Perestroika.  

0069C5EB-2F7B-47DE-8337-0D5AFB1E5668.thumb.jpeg.a89876d709d6a5f2ad0842bdb6f6ee2e.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Here.

CNN) — It's safe to say no one in the world is sitting down to a three-plus hour, eight-course dinner costing hundreds of dollars at any of the top fine destinations around the globe.

The pandemic's stronghold has all but made it impossible for luxury restaurants to keep doing what they were doing prior to the shutdown.

On Wednesday night, however, one of the world's best restaurants, which (temporarily) closed its doors when New York City pressed pause, did a 180. 

Three Michelin-starred Eleven Madison Park, known for providing diners with a luxurious, unparalleled dining experience, among the most memorable in the world, is reincarnating itself. 

Starting Thursday, it will use its resources to become a food commissary to support New York City's first responders and others in need.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cabbage has been mentioned  I bought a big dense head thinking it would serve for several meals a while back. David Lebovitz's creamed cabbage soup is more than whispering in my ear for tomorrow. I really like cabbage of all sorts. (kinda over being called one as a kid)

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/caraway-norwegian-recipe-vegetarian-cabbage-soup/seveal  A great fresh pantry item.