• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

58 minutes ago, Shelby said:

A friend of ours was telling Ronnie over the phone that he was in Walmart and witnessed a woman with a heaping huge cart full of fresh meats, TP etc. She was in the return line.  He overheard her say that she panicked and bought all of that stuff, got home and realized she wouldn't be able to pay her rent, so she came back to return it all.

I'm back, and sanitized and washed.

Went to a middle sized town grocery store (Dillon's).  Hardly any people.  Signs every where reminding people to distance themselves.  Markings on the floor on where to stand in line.  People stood even further back than the markers said to.  Meat, cheese and veg supply (fresh) was normal.  Hardly any flour-limited to buying one bag per cart.   I couldn't find yeast.  There were limits on TP eggs and cleaning supplies none of which I bought.  I didn't see any TP available.  No bleach.  Cleaning products way low or none.  Liquor store had my flavor of wine and Ronnie's flavor of vodka so  all is right with the world lol.

Surely they didn't refund the meat?

Makes us aware of the psychological ticking time-bombs this pandemic is creating.    People who are already living on the edge.    Think of the mind state that would even temporarily value meat and toilet paper over rent.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

eGullet member #80.

Ill place this here , rather than the TJ's thread :

Wine is Food  .   not so much Truth these days

my blend  as mentioned above:

W1.jpg.d8085583b0dd5dbda4f00be65a056ceb.jpg

W2.jpg.d36658dcb4bbf6533bc58f0041abb8b9.jpg

those w Eyes of an Eagle , note these are empties.

I dont put the full bottles at unnecessary risk.

I'll be adding to my studies soon.   right now.

as I study the latest episode of Better Call Saul.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Anyone else have cookbooks strewn all about?

I haven't taken this many cookbooks down from the shelves in quite a while!

I always have cookbooks strewn about.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Things are looking up! Daughter was able to get some frozen peas for me today.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I always have cookbooks strewn about.

I always have a selection on my reading table in the bathroom...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

I find with many items that I don’t need immediately and that do not require refrigeration just leaving them alone for five days will probably work just fine. The virus does not seem to live beyond the five day mark on most surfaces and even less on some surfaces.

That would be my preference, but my one of my husband's unique skills is knowing when there are new food items on the premises. Last time that I did the shopping, I did in fact put some boxes in a cabinet that he doesn't go in to for a decontamination period. At least now he won't have me yelling at him for eating the grape tomatoes straight out of the container without washing. They are clean and in a bowl on the counter for his enjoyment and my peace of mind. I tried going to a different supermarket this afternoon (needed to put gas in my car) and their paper goods aisle was stripped clean, bare. I got some store brand cleaning spray which says it is antibacterial/antiviral...and cookies which are in a plastic clamshell. The store had cart wipes, I grabbed 2 on my way in and carried them in my hand (took no cart), cleaned my purchases with the wipes in the store before bagging, and I cleaned them with the spray upon returning home. Torn between feeling slightly ridiculous...and self-satisfied.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

42 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I always have a selection on my reading table in the bathroom...

That's where my cooking magazines go, to the magazine rack. I hope none of my dinner guests ever figures that out!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Still not isolating, still working, still no known cases within several hours of where I live. That's not being flippant, I consider that fortunate. I'm appreciative and very much hope it continues to be the case. That said, since my plan if mandatory isolation does hit my area is to bake my own bread as needed, I pulled my sourdough starter out of the fridge to get it active again. It's been going for almost a year and been untouched for a while but there are no signs of evil and it seems to be waking up from its hibernation just fine. :D

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No place to put soup.  Used the Ruhlman method.

I am hoping you are not talking about his method that was attacked by Harold McGee. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Talking to my sister in Britain yesterday and she had just taken delivery of

MREs.?

Anyone any wiser than I? I can’t fathom what they are if not MREs. She has not tried one yet and I’m anxious to know what she thinks. She is a very good cook so if they are awful she will not be eating them. She was persuaded by the neighbour she knows well who placed a second order as my sister placed her first. 

These are shelf stable for up to a year.  The one she showed me yesterday was 200 cal which makes me wonder about the MREs which are usually calorie loaded I thought. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog