• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My daughter just finished doing some grocery shopping for me. I asked for some frozen vegetables. Apparently I was just dreaming. There are none I mean none to be had. I asked for some Jamaican patties – – ditto. A particular instant noodle which is normally abundant  — Nada. I still don’t think starvation is on my doorstep but I am astounded nevertheless. And for those who think that I should be using fresh vegetables please be aware that I have a lot of physical challenges. Having access to frozen vegetables is important to me. 

Ugh.  I'm so sorry Anna.  I keep thinking that people will stop buying so much and supply will catch up with demand, but every day I wake up to see I'm wrong about that.

My mother in law just called to talk--all talk was about the virus.  She is shocked at how little is on the store shelves.  

I understand completely now why Ronnie's dad had cases and cases of soap. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My daughter just finished doing some grocery shopping for me. I asked for some frozen vegetables. Apparently I was just dreaming. There are none I mean none to be had. I asked for some Jamaican patties – – ditto. A particular instant noodle which is normally abundant  — Nada. I still don’t think starvation is on my doorstep but I am astounded nevertheless. And for those who think that I should be using fresh vegetables please be aware that I have a lot of physical challenges. Having access to frozen vegetables is important to me. 

Superstore and Sobey's where I am were hit hard initially, but have since replenished (and instituted a "two-per" policy on frozen fruit and veg).

I expect there's lots in the supply chain at present (though that might change if the situation down south goes south) and you should get replenished soon.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ugh.  I'm so sorry Anna.  

Honestly I’m not looking for sympathy I just wanted to report what was happening where I am. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Honestly I’m not looking for sympathy I just wanted to report what was happening where I am. 

I know you're not.  But I still feel bad for you and everyone that isn't finding things they want and/or need.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Anna N 

I completely understand 

I still have a pound or two in my freezer 

I plan to enjoy them

afer cold hydration therapy 

I think this will change in the future 

a few weeks on the supermarkets 

etc etc

• Like 1

@gfweb  

no your got the burger , charcoal broiled 

to your done ness 

maybe w cheese , but not for us 

then you went to the vast number of bowls of stuff 

and added your own

its possible Kirk's  as so enlightened then

they never dealt w GBP  or   " grilled mixed peppers '

can't say for sure

Good Times    Old Times 

and those who controlled Russia were going to Kuke Us 

esp me 

any minute

just to be clear 

Edited by rotuts (log)

1 hour ago, Spork said:

With the bloom on, unwashed, I have kept them in a tightly controlled refrigerator (34-36 F) for up to nine months. They lose a lot of flavor, I’m sure a lot of vitamin content, the yolk and both whites separate badly, they certainly don’t cook the same. 

In my root cellar (52-54 F) the same happens inside of six months. 

These are fresh eggs, literally minutes from the hen to storage. 

BLOOM ON. 

Bloom....I had to look that up, so thanks for increasing my food knowledge.  

The eggs I buy often have a smear of poop and small feather pieces; I am safe to assume the bloom is on??  

• Like 2

Well, the alternative is that they're deliberately adding it to washed eggs. So yeah, Occam's Razor says that "bloom on" is the likelier explanation. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, gulfporter said:

Bloom....I had to look that up, so thanks for increasing my food knowledge.  

The eggs I buy often have a smear of poop and small feather pieces; I am safe to assume the bloom is on??  

Yes. Bloom is the hillbilly term for cuticle. 

Take what times and temps I’ve offered and adjust to your circumstances. 

I’ve business traveled Mexico, there is a lot of variance in “unrefrigerated” temps.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Well, the alternative is that they're deliberately adding it to washed eggs. So yeah, Occam's Razor says that "bloom on" is the likelier explanation. :)

Never really researched it, but the addition of some lipid is a modern, short term, stop gap. 

43 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb  

to your done ness 

and added your own

can't say for sure

Good Times    Old Times 

esp me 

any minute

just to be clear 

Quite right.   I used to order mine "very rare" and added nothing but the burger to the also excellent bun.    Read "au jus".

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

18 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Somewhat to the contraire,

I was told this by a Great Grandmother, two Grandmothers, and my Mother. 

Never store eggs in the spring house, it’ll wash the bloom. 

Mindful, an added lipid may survive. 

• Like 1

I guess I wasn't as clear as I'd thought. I should perhaps have phrased something like...

"It seems unlikely that shady Mexican egg merchants are deliberately dirtying previously-washed eggs with feathers and feces to simulate eggs that have simply not had the bloom washed off in the first place. "

• Haha 4

After the initial panic-shop hit, the local store has recovered pretty well. They implemented limits on some items when they restocked and still don't have toilet paper but for the most part, you can get anything you normally could. The difficulty they were having getting certain things in didn't seem to last long but those are the things that now have limits. Toilet paper isn't an issue for me. I keep a small stock in the house anyway, daughter in house, but when everything disappeared from the shelves locally about 3 weeks ago and still hadn't reappeared as of this week, I ordered a case (48 rolls) through one of our suppliers at work and tucked it in a closet. Strangely, one of the things that was entirely cleaned out is canned coconut milk. Plenty of cow, soy and rice milk and even a hefty amount of evap on the shelf but not a single can of coconut milk. Fortunately, whoever grabbed all the cans didn't notice the 1 liter cartons on the next shelf over so I was still able to make my Massaman curry. :D I'd send Anna some frozen veggies if that was possible, those don't look like they've been touched at all. 

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Spork said:

Somewhat to the contraire,

I was told this by a Great Grandmother, two Grandmothers, and my Mother. 

Never store eggs in the spring house, it’ll wash the bloom. 

Mindful, an added lipid may survive. 

My grandmother was too busy chasing me around with a cast iron pan to worry about "the bloom."

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

48 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

My grandmother was too busy chasing me around with a cast iron pan to worry about "the bloom."

That explains it ;)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'd send Anna some frozen veggies if that was possible, those don't look like they've been touched at all. 

Thanks! We could do a swap because I have quite a number of cans of coconut milk in my pantry. They have been there a while so not recently purchased. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yes, it was cast iron. I didn’t really realize that at the time. It was just a pan. 

What I did realize, was the love coming from those pans. 

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb  

to your done ness 

and added your own

can't say for sure

Good Times    Old Times 

esp me 

any minute

just to be clear 

I meant GBP on that east coast burger that made you sick

• Haha 1

Regarding the scarcity of yeast, from Food 52:

"Here's Why All the Yeast Is Sold Out Right Now"

At the time of this article’s publication, the popular Northeast grocery delivery service FreshDirect was completely out of dry active and instant yeast, as well as all-purpose, whole-wheat, and bread flour.

And if you're out of yeast and there's a brewery in your area, they can be a source for yeast:

"San Diego brewery offers up yeast to make bread at home"

Mission Brewery is offering small bags of dried yeast for free to community members in need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver