• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

@lindag funny you should mention that! @heidih was just giving me crap for not posting anything recently, since I've been a baking madman for the last two weeks, so I figured I'd post tonight's dinner, a pan pizza made using Modernist Bread's Focaccia (aged four days in the fridge) as the dough:

Pre-Bake: 

20200326-180716.jpg

Post-Bake:

20200326-183120.jpg

Slice:

20200326-183247.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

20 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

@lindag funny you should mention that! @heidih was just giving me crap for not posting anything recently, since I've been a baking madman for the last two weeks, so I figured I'd post tonight's dinner, a pan pizza made using Modernist Bread's Focaccia (aged four days in the fridge) as the dough:

Pre-Bake: 

20200326-180716.jpg

Post-Bake:

20200326-183120.jpg

Slice:

20200326-183247.jpg

Chris, you haven't posted in forever!  Glad you're back.  Please continue.  We all need inspiration from each other.  Pizza looks awesome.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

So glad you got what you needed Kay.  Please keep in mind that IMO things are going to get worse before better.  I'm not advising hoarding of course, but a few extra of needed things.  I know you know this....just makes me feel better to preach LOL.

If push came to shove, we could eat for a month or six weeks on what I have here, between freezers and pantry.  Might require some adjustments, but we'd not go hungry.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

...oddly, ham. I guess it makes sense since it’s pretty versatile.

It's getting close to Easter.

I'm sure many fear not getting a ham so they're ordering early.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Unreal!

A boycott will likely harm the innocent more than a 10% pay cut ever could.

Anyway, the decision has been reversed.

The CEO will now go without pay for three months.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

...and, to be clear, it's not Burger King in general but one of its franchisers (franchisees?). If you don't live in an area where Carroll operates, there's no reason for it to affect your fast food decision-making.

• Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Plantain update:

Ronnie was extremely skeptical.  He insisted that they are bananas...he said "Why would the store have a sign that says BANANAS if they aren't?"  I told him to slice an end off and then he could go ahead and tell me that everyone on EG was right and he was wrong lol.

He did so this morning.  Definitely a plantain 🤣

• Haha 13

58 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Plantain update:

Ronnie was extremely skeptical.  He insisted that they are bananas...he said "Why would the store have a sign that says BANANAS if they aren't?"  I told him to slice an end off and then he could go ahead and tell me that everyone on EG was right and he was wrong lol.

He did so this morning.  Definitely a plantain 🤣

We should exchange pictures of our husbands.  I suspect they are actually one person leading a double life.  

• Haha 9

I was worried about supply, so even though I'm supposed to get my subscription delivery shortly...

3zNJtXg.jpg

3 bags from George Howell somehow showed up. I figured I'd give the medium roast a try for afternoon moka pot coffee. Or maybe I'll fire up Silvia.

Lunch yesterday was rice and beans (beans from freezer), along with beet salad and celery root remoulade. Dinner started with this...

2HrHjM4.jpg

Sauté of peppers and onions.

RJCL6wb.jpg

Sausage and peppers. Potato salad. Tomato/cucumber/avocado also alongside.

D'artagnan chicken sausage was used, and don't think I'd buy again, but I was experimenting during the last freezer sale. At least they're low calorie/low sodium compared to real sausage.  

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm in Central Mexico where eggs are sold UNrefrigerated.  I normally buy them and put in fridge.  Have read that REfrigerated eggs are good for 5 weeks, mas o menos.  

Some countries in the rest of the world also sell UNrefrigerated eggs.  For those of you familiar with these, how long is the shelf life of UNrefrigerated eggs?   

38 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Lunch yesterday was rice and beans (beans from freezer), along with beet salad and celery root remoulade. Dinner started with this...

2HrHjM4.jpg

Sauté of peppers and onions.

RJCL6wb.jpg

Sausage and peppers. Potato salad. Tomato/cucumber/avocado also alongside.

D'artagnan chicken sausage was used, and don't think I'd buy again, but I was experimenting during the last freezer sale. At least they're low calorie/low sodium compared to real sausage.  

That looks excellent, weinoo. Thanks for the inspiration; I think I know what our dinner will be tonight!

Edited by Smithy
Removed extraneous photo and text (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

27 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

I'm in Central Mexico where eggs are sold UNrefrigerated.  I normally buy them and put in fridge.  Have read that REfrigerated eggs are good for 5 weeks, mas o menos.  

Some countries in the rest of the world also sell UNrefrigerated eggs.  For those of you familiar with these, how long is the shelf life of UNrefrigerated eggs?   

I think the concensus is a couple weeks. Washed eggs = another story.  https://uwmadscience.news.wisc.edu/animals/most-of-the-world-does-not-refrigerate-their-eggs-so-why-does-the-us/

• Like 1

@weinoo 

very nice as usual.

where I grew up ' Peppers '  as you made them were 

unheard of , or , more exactly not ever in my house

and my mother cooked dinner every evening

unless we went to Kirks'  , the best burger place in the whole world

I did go to College in the East.   they offered 

' peppers '    on an Italian sausage , on a bun

i tried it , and was sick for days.   OK   24 hours.

but this :

NPs.jpg.89779c744efb4d97ad9f78152053572c.jpg

is driving me crazy.  Im looking forward to New Red Potatoes in the future

as good as it gets .

did I mention I grew them ?

my efforts for tomatoes were were worth  more of my time

would you get RedBliss potatoes , any size

just clean and cut them into your portion size

and cook as usual w a pinch or two of sugar ( if you have some )

and they turn out 4 star.

a quick P.S.:  ive used the brown parchment paper in

the CSO and my main stove broiler

I cut the paper so it just barely fits the Product on the Pan.

I watched carefully , and never had a fire.  

it might be the excess sticking up from not trimming 

no matter 

cheers

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@weinoo 

no  Palo Alto .  '50's late 

the original

you walked in , place your order on the R , then moved to the L in front of the largest

charcoal grill Ive ever seen.  by the time to got to the Left , and paid your burgers were don

then you added your toppings .  they had several dozen yellow bowls of things you might put on your

burger.  better yet , they had a very large eat outside area

w old time California BBQ tables , each sheltered w tall bushes from your neighbor 

I kid you not.  they expanded , then were sold many times

i used to be able to google it and see the old place 

but no longer.      they used top of the line fresh beef

of the taster cuts , and ground it fresh every day.

not that this place was Paradise for me :

I always wanted their 1 foot Hotdog on a bun grilled where 50 % stuck out

my mother thought other wise . but back then Dogs were so much better than now.

if you went to Kirks in SJ ,,   I hope you liked it.

BTW , as far as I can remember

they offered no peppers for the burgers 

just saying

drunk.jpeg.8bc8472f665c155d8ad6a93b90e21b9c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

With the bloom on, unwashed, I have kept them in a tightly controlled refrigerator (34-36 F) for up to nine months. They lose a lot of flavor, I’m sure a lot of vitamin content, the yolk and both whites separate badly, they certainly don’t cook the same. 

In my root cellar (52-54 F) the same happens inside of six months. 

These are fresh eggs, literally minutes from the hen to storage. 

BLOOM ON. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, rotuts said:

just saying

I did...many times!  Great burger - I'd go for one of those right now!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

I did...many times!  Great burger - I'd go for one of those right now!

51 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

no  Palo Alto .  '50's late 

the original

you walked in , place your order on the R , then moved to the L in front of the largest

charcoal grill Ive ever seen.  by the time to got to the Left , and paid your burgers were don

then you added your toppings .  they had several dozen yellow bowls of things you might put on your

burger.  better yet , they had a very large eat outside area

w old time California BBQ tables , each sheltered w tall bushes from your neighbor 

I kid you not.  they expanded , then were sold many times

i used to be able to google it and see the old place 

but no longer.      they used top of the line fresh beef

of the taster cuts , and ground it fresh every day.

not that this place was Paradise for me :

I always wanted their 1 foot Hotdog on a bun grilled where 50 % stuck out

my mother thought other wise . but back then Dogs were so much better than now.

just saying

Kirk's burgers kept me alive for a period of my life.    But the South Paly shop, which I think was their first.   Maybe not.   'Anyway, their burgers were REAL, and had a flavor like none other before or since.   Thanks for the "ride"

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

My daughter just finished doing some grocery shopping for me. I asked for some frozen vegetables. Apparently I was just dreaming. There are none I mean none to be had. I asked for some Jamaican patties – – ditto. A particular instant noodle which is normally abundant  — Nada. I still don’t think starvation is on my doorstep but I am astounded nevertheless. And for those who think that I should be using fresh vegetables please be aware that I have a lot of physical challenges. Having access to frozen vegetables is important to me. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

pleased you  '' liked it ''

but ....

but it it not the burger in Palo Alto 

way back then

still pleased you liked it

but , well , ...........................

Don't understand what you are saying.    That there was no Kirk's in PA in the '50s?   or...

My God, they're still there!

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.