• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

I have an interest in Economics ,   

this turned up :

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/business/grocery-stores-shopping-coronavirus-grocery-outlet/index.html

Im guessing the PipeLine  TimeLine  for food service  is not that short

restaurants , etc as mentioned in the article 

this firm seems to be structured to pick up the surplus 

and move it to customers .

hope they fairly price it.

esp  the 5 gallon jugs of Mayo.

I have 2 qts left

drunk.jpeg.cce9b7e54bdd0277c90ebf1823f12825.jpeg

more than most to Im betting

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

So, I bought these bananas on March 19th.  This picture makes them look a tad yellow.  They are not.  They haven't ripened at all.  Ronnie thinks they forgot to spray them with whatever they spray them with to make that happen????  I dunno.  They are starting to get spots on the peels like they are going bad.

Can you fry green bananas like plantains???  Any ideas??  I don't wanna waste them.

IMG_7621.JPG.4d324cc818fd9259a22ea85c4f879c0f.JPG

I have gotten three or four bunches of green bananas during the past few months.  I feel them at the lower end, squeeze gently, and when they give a little I will peel one.  Whatever this variety is, they remain a bit firm but have a ripe flavor, which I like. They are similar to some of the bananas I buy at the Mexican supermarket, which are not the Cavandish, the usual commercial variety.  The ones on the outer rim will ripen faster than the inner ones.  Look at the stems when they are brown close to the fruit, they should be near ripe.  

• Thanks 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A bit of inspiration for those who might want to up their gardening game in response to the current situation:

http://urbanhomestead.org/about/

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

55 minutes ago, rotuts said:

treat the plantains like any hard veg.

bake , etc  

in the caribbean , its called  " food "

On my plate they'e called "left on the plate."

While on a business trip to Venezuela in the early nighties I think there were fried plantains on every plate of lunch or dinner I was served. Having never encountered them before I tried one. That was more than enough. Blech.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

About the easiest pasta sauce I know, Kale Sauce from Six Seasons served over fresh creste de gallo pasta from Roan Mills, a local grower/miller/baker/pasta maker.  

3C5E633F-6CDB-4754-AB60-347824EBCA71_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c0d17e4dfed21a1685ba74fdb45f878d.jpeg
I added sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and a sprinkle of pine nuts, the last inspired by @Smithy who mentioned wanting a pine nuts to add to her pasta dish. 

I buy flour and bread regularly from Roan Mills but hadn't tried their pasta. They were recently shut out of some of the farmers markets that make up a lot of their business when the markets closed because of crowd control issues or in the case of the Santa Monica markets (very big for them), limited vendors to farmers only and suspended sales of prepared foods.  This seemed a bit unfair in this case since Roan Mills actually grow the grains, then mill them and use them in their baked goods so they ARE farmers.  Anyway, I wanted to support them and the pasta was very good.  It also sounds like they are working with the Santa Monica people to find a solution which seemed to involve packaging their breads in plastic, of all things.  Strange times!

• Like 6

the ref. to ' food ' goes like this :

when at a counter where your order is being served to you 

the server might then ask when the main items are on your plate :

"  would you like some food' on your plate "

those were the plantains 

this expression was common in Boston at various out of the way 

caribbean restaurants where you were served , well , caribbean food

from a service counter

and plantains are an acquired taste.  very starchy and plain no matter what.

meant to fill you up.  no more nor less

• Thanks 1

Have fun with the plantains! I love plantain chips! 

I was able to get an Instacart delivery from Wegmans today. I secured the reservation time 8 days in advance at 2am. 

A lot of things were sold out, progresso canned soups, various rice and oddly, ham. I guess it makes sense since it’s pretty versatile. 

I was able to get club soda, Gatorade, ginger ale and all types of produce. 

I asked for no contact delivery and tipped 30%. 

I also ordered deep dish pizzas from Lou Malinati’s via Goldbelly that should arrive today. 

We (aka my husband) haven’t been to a physical store in over a week but I expect that to change this weekend. We also loaded up at the local butcher two weeks ago. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

So, they are potato-like?

They are more dense and starchy. But I came up with them in conjunction with cassava, yucca  and other dense roots  Yes plantains grow on trees,.Just a slight hint of sweet i my estimation.  Part is the filler component but if part of your food culture they are like rice to others. You crave and need them :)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

A lot of things were sold out, progresso canned soups, various rice and oddly, ham. I guess it makes sense since it’s pretty versatile.

Could also be the proximity to Easter, I suppose. People wanting to make sure they *can* get one.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

this is a little but on the polemic side of things :

https://www.mashed.com/196591/the-stunning-decision-burger-kings-biggest-franchisee-made-amid-the-pandemic/

its just too bad this =kind of thinking is still around now.

Assholes. The only thing I like from Burger King is the French toast sticks. I'll get mine, the few times I splurge on something with gluten, from Sonic.

I have returned from Kroger. They had everything I needed. I noticed soup shelves were low, but not empty. Ditto flour. Plenty of bread. (This was a midafternoon trip, btw.) My Kroger has a cheese section that purports to be part of Murray's, which I doubt, but perhaps it is curated by them, or something; I got lots of good cheese and a log of summer sausage. With that and apples, of which I have a bunch, I could survive the apocalypse.

Very few people in the store. LONG line of cars at the pickup door.

I also went for a long drive in the country. It's a gorgeous day here, and I opened the sunroof and rolled down the windows and just cruised. Did wonders for my disposition. I would note our governor's daily briefing, to which I listened on the radio while I was driving, cheered me. His administration has turned loose a significant chunk of change to immediately give a $1,000 a month raise to every health care worker involved in direct patient care, and $2,000 if they're working in a facility that has diagnosed cases of COVID. These will go on for the duration of the current emergency situation. He is, btw, a Republican. 

Came home prepared to cook, but Children A and C (who has semi-moved in since I am keeping her son so she can work while his school is closed) wanted pizza. I tipped the pizza delivery kid heavily. I appreciate the hell out of him.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb 

you bet

I appreciate the hell out of him.

in a couple of weeks

I might venture to MarketBasket

Senior Hours and take a peek.

its now 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM

was 5:30 AM    

maybe no one showed up

looking forward to it.

just to take a peek.

refresh my Fz veg.   look into the Three Bridges 

fresh ravioli area

etc

• Like 3

So glad you got what you needed Kay.  Please keep in mind that IMO things are going to get worse before better.  I'm not advising hoarding of course, but a few extra of needed things.  I know you know this....just makes me feel better to preach LOL.

• Like 5

I am seriously wanting pizza these days.  My Papa Murphy is having special offers so thinking I should drive into town to pick up a couple of take-n-bake pies.  

• Like 4