• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

12 hours ago, Darienne said:

Ed does all the grocery shopping in our household and it's always a surprise (sometimes delightful; alas, most often not) what he brings home.  Suffers from the same thing as your husband...don't look at the thing before you take it..against husband rules.  I use thighs in Mafé, an African peanut stew.

Which is why I wont let my wife shop for food.

Checking off a list is different that caring about what you buy

• Like 1

I've heard that Whole Foods, at least Whole Foods somewhere, has doubled orders to their suppliers.  I'm amazed and thankful they deliver as well as they do.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, if it gets down to it I'll be sleeping on the 30 pounds of beans.

What if there is a pea in there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I placed y grocery order a few minutes ago (for curbside pickup) and am hoping that they can fill most of it.

It's pretty basic stuff off the shelf so perhaps I'll have a better result than I did with my last order which left eight items out due to being out-of-stock.  The woman who brought out my order told me that they get deliveries on Tuesday and Thursday nights so I waited til this morning to put it through.  Even though I submitted the order before 8AM, the first available delivery window was for 12-1PM.  Not too bad though when considering some people in other area are having to wait weeks for their orders.

• Like 2

I'll start by saying thanks for the chicken wing suggestions.  I'll continue...

with dinner last night...

gBl4fdA.jpg

Wings, braised and glazed in a spicy Sichuan bean sauce.  They were actually going to be simply wings in black bean sauce, a more Cantonese dish, but when I started tearing apart my cupboards to find the black beans, I gave up and used one of the various spicy bean pastes I have in my fridge. Along with dark soy, garlic, scallions, a hit of sugar, sesame oil, etc. etc.

Served over jasmine rice, kimchee on the side. Pretty satisfying.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'll start by saying thanks for the chicken wing suggestions.  I'll continue...

with dinner last night...

gBl4fdA.jpg

Wings, braised and glazed in a spicy Sichuan bean sauce.  They were actually going to be simply wings in black bean sauce, a more Cantonese dish, but when I started tearing apart my cupboards to find the black beans, I gave up and used one of the various spicy bean pastes I have in my fridge. Along with dark soy, garlic, scallions, a hit of sugar, sesame oil, etc. etc.

Served over jasmine rice, kimchee on the side. Pretty satisfying.

Like the idea.

Just a thought - might be nice to toss on a roasting tray under the broiler to create a bit of texture/added flavour after glazing...

• Like 3

I got a food order delivered to my house this morning.  I received everything on my list with the exception of chicken, yeast, a type of cereal my nephew wanted, and flour.  After trying for days, I was able to get a delivery order from Wegmans' set for Sunday evening.  Trying again for chicken, but not optimistic.  I finally bit the bullet and paid $20 for a pound of yeast on amazon.  

I also joined a local farm's vegetable share, which delivers to my house starting next Thursday.  I can't imagine they have much yet other than greenhouse lettuces and maybe overwintered root vegetables, but it is better than nothing and supports a local farm.  

King Arthur Flour has their flour back in stock, FYI.  Limit two per person.  

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

if you have not already tried in , in the future

consider parchment paper  as a base for a lot of things

inc. broiling   I like the brown version , its much slipperier than the white

IF YOU CARE FSC Certified Parchment Baking Paper

after things settle down.

You'd be surprised at the things I've tried. 

But broiling with parchment in my oven merely sets things ablaze.

• Confused 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You'd be surprised at the things I've tried. 

But broiling with parchment in my oven merely sets things ablaze.

Oh yes - only once but lesson learned.  did catch step mother before she hit start a while back. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

King Arthur Flour has their flour back in stock, FYI.  Limit two per person.  

Thanks for this. I'd checked the box for them to notify me, but they hadn't done so. I needed wheat flour, sprouted wheat flour, harvest grains blend and everything bread topping. Guess what I'm gonna make?

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Wow, I'm glad I got my six bags of King Arthur flour a couple days ago.  My ten bags of flour arrived from Supermarket Italy, and I now have ten cans of tomatoes in the bedroom.  Supermarket Italy was unable to supply the dried pasta that I'd ordered.  Not that I need dried pasta but it would have been nice to have.  Should I run out of flour.

I am reminded why I don't order from Supermarket Italy more often.  The box was too heavy for me to lift, or even to turn over.  I had to carry the items upstairs one by one.  The order took forty five minutes to unpack.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

In today's version of ugly delicious. Lunch was using my now 24-hour fermented dough...

M6reaVd.jpg

In a baking pan in the CSO. 1/2 mozzarella and tomato. Half just parm. Better than yesterday's!

Dinner...

HyEeeph.jpg

VB0AtDl.jpg

Céleri rémoulade. Salade de betteraves.

Ceci in Zimino.  Or a variation of that (starting with dried garbanzo), along with a leftover ham hock and some jambon de Bayonne.

As I said, looks aren't everything; this was all about the taste, and this all tasted pretty good.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Last night I made Basmati rice.  There was some left and I thought about rice pudding.  (Yes, in normal times I would use Arborio.)  I asked Eat Your Books for a suggestion and up popped @Wolfert's Moroccan Rice Pudding:  "Each guest is given a large spoon, and the pudding is eaten communal-style."

Seemed appropriate somehow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night I made Basmati rice.  There was some left and I thought about rice pudding.  (Yes, in normal times I would use Arborio.)  I asked Eat Your Books for a suggestion and up popped @Wolfert's Moroccan Rice Pudding:  "Each guest is given a large spoon, and the pudding is eaten communal-style."

Seemed appropriate somehow.

Even before Corona,  I'd be revolted by that.

• Like 2

A man all too near here was arrested after intentionally coughing on a grocery store employee who asked him to keep social distance, as reported by The NY Times.  He faces seven years in prison and a $26,000 fine.  He may also face Federal terrorism charges.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Even before Corona,  I'd be revolted by that.

Indeed.  Normally, as I understand, in Moroccan cuisine guests are not provided with a spoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A man all too near here was arrested after intentionally coughing on a grocery store employee who asked him to keep social distance, as reported by The NY Times.  He faces seven years in prison and a $26,000 fine.  He may also face Federal terrorism charges.

The appropriate penalty would be to take him out back and "explain to him the error of his ways" in old school Philly language.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1