• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@weinoo  both Scotch Broth and Mushroom Barley soup are nostalgia foods for me. I like to cook the barley separately (in light stock) and then add it to the soup just before serving. That way it doesn't turn the soup starchy and it is easier to control the ratio of barley to soup. I guess an overload of barley cooked for 45 minutes in the soup would be....Jewish congee. At least that's what it would be if my mother every made it. My favorite food on earth used to be Williams BBQ mushroom and barley casserole; industrial size  take-out in an aluminum baking dish. It was at B'way and 85th St, and closed many years ago. I don't know how they managed to cook the barley so perfectly, but it was never sticky, always distinct pearls. Being on lockdown is unfortunately making me want a lot of foods I'll never see again.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

It's exactly what I do when making a soup that has pasta in it; cook the pasta separately and add it at the end.  

Jewish congee - I like the idea!

When I did a little more research into the barley conundrum,  I saw that it is used in cholent, making that a real rib sticker!

IMHO you have to cook any starch separately before adding to soup.    Else -> crappy risotto.    

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Eaten?  John Barleycorn must die!

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think he is the booze guy - so drank/drunk   Like saying I have a date with Jack   Common phrases

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, it is used in soups and congees made from mixed grains. It is also drunk, but as a form of "tea". Roasted barley is steeped in boiling water. It isn't often, if ever, used in alcoholic drinks. China generally prefers rice, sorghum or millet for those.

This is the roasted barley sold as 大麦茶 (dà mài chá) which means "barley tea".

20200324_122344.thumb.jpg.413a3c2414a5601f04f45cfb6346cdd0.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I actually enjoy the roasted barley tea - I think it's also a Japanese thing.

Doing my research, I found that it was certainly one of the earliest cultivated grains in the fertile crescent.  And it grows in lots and lots of places.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I actually enjoy the roasted barley tea - I think it's also a Japanese thing.

Doing my research, I found that it was certainly one of the earliest cultivated grains in the fertile crescent.  And it grows in lots and lots of places.

It gets plenty of mentions in Homer, IIRC.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Sent my husband out shopping with a detailed list, he got to the store just before it opened at 6am. A couple of mistakes despite reviewing the list with him the night before...mostly due to his inability to actually look at something before putting it in the cart - bananas with split skin, bell pepper with wrinkled spot, package of boneless/skinless chicken thighs rather than breasts. We both hate the thighs, now I'm going to have to figure out how to cook them to make them edible for us. At least we are set for a week now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Just tried to place a grocery order. The earliest delivery is April 11. 

• Sad 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Right here (YouTube)

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Wanted to order seeds for my garden and the local seed exchange has been so overwhelmed with orders that they are steering customers to out of state seed exchanges until they catch up on their backlog of orders! Was able to order seed from West Virginia and New York. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yup - why I am braving Uber to store this morning despite the rain. Who knows what will be available but at least I can decide versus a "shopper" doing odd subs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, curls said:

Wanted to order seeds for my garden and the local seed exchange has been so overwhelmed with orders that they are steering customers to out of state seed exchanges until they catch up on their backlog of orders! Was able to order seed from West Virginia and New York. 

Perhaps we are back to Victory gardens - a good trend

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hit the same wall this weekend, Anna.    All of the well-known services were denying new customers.    I finally found a smaller service that represents several dozen small, local grocers.   They accepted my order, were able to fill every request, gave me a delivery window of 5 hours, texted me several times re selection, had the order on my doorstep in 3 hours     I will anticipate more next order annd/but hope they are able to keep up this level of service, plus helping local merchants.

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Sent my husband out shopping with a detailed list, he got to the store just before it opened at 6am. A couple of mistakes despite reviewing the list with him the night before...mostly due to his inability to actually look at something before putting it in the cart - bananas with split skin, bell pepper with wrinkled spot, package of boneless/skinless chicken thighs rather than breasts. We both hate the thighs, now I'm going to have to figure out how to cook them to make them edible for us. At least we are set for a week now.

Ed does all the grocery shopping in our household and it's always a surprise (sometimes delightful; alas, most often not) what he brings home.  Suffers from the same thing as your husband...don't look at the thing before you take it..against husband rules.  I use thighs in Mafé, an African peanut stew.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

thanks for the suggestion, @Darienne, I have made a version of African Peanut Stew in the past, I'll have to check the pantry. I know that I have neither yams nor sweet potatoes, but I bet I could improvise and use the dreaded c*rn as I have several cans...

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

6 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Borscht

Confession time: I have never had borscht. Strange because I’m a huge fan of beets. Was never changed to try it and I can’t explain that to anybody not even myself.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

thanks for the suggestion, @Darienne, I have made a version of African Peanut Stew in the past, I'll have to check the pantry. I know that I have neither yams nor sweet potatoes, but I bet I could improvise and use the dreaded c*rn as I have several cans...

One of my favorite chicken parts. I treat it like pork. Marinate/grill, slow cook and pull - point made

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I use thighs in Mafé, an African peanut stew.

I made that at the place I used to be chef in Edmonton. I had to work a bit to get people to try it the first time, but by then I had built a pretty good level of trust with the regulars (and after long years in retail, I'd gotten pretty persuasive). It rapidly became a staple on our soup-of-the-day rotation, which frequently made for a (pleasurable) surprise for African students/immigrants in the area.

Hmmm. I haven't had that in years, but I do have both thighs and sweet potato on hand at the moment. I could probably manage fufu if I really wanted to, but somehow seldom do... :P

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

55 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I made that at the place I used to be chef in Edmonton. I had to work a bit to get people to try it the first time, but by then I had built a pretty good level of trust with the regulars (and after long years in retail, I'd gotten pretty persuasive). It rapidly became a staple on our soup-of-the-day rotation, which frequently made for a (pleasurable) surprise for African students/immigrants in the area.

Hmmm. I haven't had that in years, but I do have both thighs and sweet potato on hand at the moment. I could probably manage fufu if I really wanted to, but somehow seldom do... :P

But what about the peanuts and peanut butter???

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 minutes ago, Darienne said:

But what about the peanuts and peanut butter???

Those are always on hand. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1