• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

Nope. Also the wingtips, if they're still in situ when purchased.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I agree that @Smithy's cauliflower looks perfect to me, too.  I always start nibbling on those smallest brown bits and pretty soon, I've nibbled away half the pan!

My order from Porto's arrived yesterday as expected. Everything nicely packed with ample dry ice in the box.   

C437FE42-FDCD-4952-9F9A-CD91B7394EFB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3471cd7cb573e6105837883dbc1ca05c.jpeg

Four dozen little treats for me!  There was a separate packet of parchment paper to line baking sheets and instruction cards for each.  

AAEBBBF3-521F-4B6D-BB29-FA4B3A3A2B32_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.40fd5281162ac4d09ae1f2002476adfd.jpeg

I transferred them to ziplocks to take up less freezer room

526EE187-A7A1-442F-8B42-0114E8DC9C50.thumb.jpeg.227cb64f5b4f46d10e081b9c5d8a921c.jpeg

Having a Dulce de Leche Besito right now with a cup of coffee.  It's a not too sweet shortbread type kiss filled with dulce de leche.  

6C4C716C-6EE7-4421-9F26-5986F75F9895_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.aa21b849f76e00220d1d13d21136ad56.jpeg

This could be a very dangerous habit!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

What's everyone/anyone's favorite thing to do with chicken wings?

My favorite is blindingly simple. Put them on a sheet pan for 40 minutes, turning halfway, and then brush with BBQ sauce and put in for 10 more minutes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Orbit said:

My favorite is blindingly simple. Put them on a sheet pan for 40 minutes, turning halfway, and then brush with BBQ sauce and put in for 10 more minutes.

This assumes that one already has a BBQ sauce that they really like... can you share your favorites?

57 minutes ago, KennethT said:

This assumes that one already has a BBQ sauce that they really like... can you share your favorites?

Sure, here's my fave BBQ sauce:

1/3 cup molasses

1 TB yellow mustard

2 tsp chili powder

1 tsp Worcestshire sauce

1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper

3/4 cup ketchup

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Day two of lockdown, cleaned/organized the chest freezer (5.? Cu. Ft.) and the top freezer of the fridge/freeze combo. This is what ended up in the chest freezer. Chucked 4 things that were way past their “best by” date aka freezer burned beyond recognition. This was my final chest freezer result, plus a few things back into the top freezer that’ll be used this week. I don’t think we’ll starve.

233AD82A-6309-4E22-A631-81E427988F18.jpeg

• Like 8

Amazon/Whole Foods finally let me place an order.  Something can be said for being on line in the middle of the night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The other night, mushroom barley soup, along with a nice fillet of halibut (this from an order I received from Sea to Table) I roasted on top of some pre-baked mushrooms and potatoes. The leftover potatoes and mushrooms went into this

Iepltdd.jpg

frittata, along with minced herbs and parmesan, to have for breakfast...

3b7xvEZ.jpg

with Jones sausage (yeah, I like Jones sausage, don't judge) and sourdough rye from Pain d'Avignon.

At some point there was a salad...

jwRAXoW.jpg

for lunch, along with leftover mushroom barley soup. What I learned today is: don't use so much fucking barley in my soup - it turns into concrete! I think 2 - 3 T would be enough, as opposed to the 1/2 - 3/4 cup I actually used!

Last night for dinner, supporting one of my local faves...

ncyy3e1.jpg

mVtnMc4.jpg

Cafe Katja pick up, including liverwurst with pickles, potato cucumber salad (creamy and comforting), Berner Würstel and sauerkraut. There were also a couple of slices of their quite good rye bread (I think they get it from a bakery in Newark or Elizabeth). For dessert (but we'll have that today), applestrudel.

Most of their prices are now about 30% less than usual. And they're selling many, if not all wines from their list, at 1/2 price. So with 2 bottles of wine (a grüner and a riesling), the food mentioned above (and 2 pretzels with liptauer), I spent $96 before tip.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Im now dreaming of a SmokeShack Burger  ( from Shake Shack )  , rare w extra sauce on the side.

and some fries from 5 Guys.  and Im going to eat it very very slowly 

some Zen Extra Chews !

something to look forward to , in the future.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

3b7xvEZ.jpg

with Jones sausage (yeah, I like Jones sausage, don't judge) and sourdough rye from Pain d'Avignon.

That is so amazing that you mention these, Mitch.  I was raised on these very sausages and haven't seen them in the stores for years.  Just recently I looked for them online and found that they are sold on the other side of the river in a couple of stores.  Folks here tend NOT to cross to the other side of the river, so I haven't made the trip yet.  I found something that I thought was the same - Simple Choice frozen raw sausage links - but were not.  At least I hope they weren't - I haven't eaten Jones in years!  

• Like 1

@weinoo  both Scotch Broth and Mushroom Barley soup are nostalgia foods for me. I like to cook the barley separately (in light stock) and then add it to the soup just before serving. That way it doesn't turn the soup starchy and it is easier to control the ratio of barley to soup. I guess an overload of barley cooked for 45 minutes in the soup would be....Jewish congee. At least that's what it would be if my mother every made it. My favorite food on earth used to be Williams BBQ mushroom and barley casserole; industrial size  take-out in an aluminum baking dish. It was at B'way and 85th St, and closed many years ago. I don't know how they managed to cook the barley so perfectly, but it was never sticky, always distinct pearls. Being on lockdown is unfortunately making me want a lot of foods I'll never see again.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Katie Meadow said:

@weinoo  both Scotch Broth and Mushroom Barley soup are nostalgia foods for me. I like to cook the barley separately (in light stock) and then add it to the soup just before serving. That way it doesn't turn the soup starchy and it is easier to control the ratio of barley to soup. I guess an overload of barley cooked for 45 minutes in the soup would be....Jewish congee. At least that's what it would be if my mother every made it. My favorite food on earth used to be Williams BBQ mushroom and barley casserole; industrial size  take-out in an aluminum baking dish. It was at B'way and 85th St, and closed many years ago. I don't know how they managed to cook the barley so perfectly, but it was never sticky, always distinct pearls. Being on lockdown is unfortunately making me want a lot of foods I'll never see again.

It's exactly what I do when making a soup that has pasta in it; cook the pasta separately and add it at the end.  

Jewish congee - I like the idea!

When I did a little more research into the barley conundrum,  I saw that it is used in cholent, making that a real rib sticker!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

It's exactly what I do when making a soup that has pasta in it; cook the pasta separately and add it at the end.  

Jewish congee - I like the idea!

When I did a little more research into the barley conundrum,  I saw that it is used in cholent, making that a real rib sticker!

Don't ask me why I think only Jews and Scots eat barley. That can't be true. I've never eaten cholent, but my mother used to talk about it from her childhood. I remember nothing about what was in it except whole eggs, cooked for a thousand years overnight. Was that typical?

• Like 1

Regarding the semi-set concrete barley - yes  I've had that happen. The first go of the soup is lovely just the issue with overly thick leftovers. I find that happens  with starches as with my frozen leftover split pea soup today. I just thin it with water and add a bit of seasoning to correct. I understand the idea of cooking it separately. We always did that with clear broths like beef that were being served now but to avoid cloudiness. The home made thin egg noodles were cooked separately. Unscientifically researched I think cooking barley and similar such within the soup melds flavors. Could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Regarding the semi-set concrete barley - yes  I've had that happen. The first go of the soup is lovely just the issue with overly thick leftovers. I find that happens  with starches as with my frozen leftover split pea soup today. I just thin it with water and add a bit of seasoning to correct. I understand the idea of cooking it separately. We always did that with clear broths like beef that were being served now but to avoid cloudiness. The home made thin egg noodles were cooked separately. Unscientifically researched I think cooking barley and similar such within the soup melds flavors. Could be wrong. 

All this talk of barley reminds me that I have a truly absurd quantity of it to use up...perhaps 10 lbs (don't ask, it was a gift).

I'll have to give this some thought.

(ETA: Having said that, I suddenly NEEDED TO KNOW...so I got out the bag and weighed it, and it's just past 9 1/2 pounds left. So I was pretty close.)

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning