• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Tzatziki! I'd forgotten all about that! Thanks, Anna.

Right after we get the groan button could we please get the sheesh button?

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I was totally being serious about this stuff...

51WTYCxx-FL._PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_AA500SH20_.jpg

"Currently unavailable.  We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@weinoo - Your shopping pic haul reminded me of...

'You know what should be flying off the shelves right now?!  Matzah!  The stuff takes years to expire, keeps you full and most important of all, lends itself to the kind of constipation that requires very little toilet paper!'

🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Speaking of celery, I've been obsessed with wanting to try that celery root salad you made a while back.   Two weeks ago was my last trip to the big big city grocery store.  No celery root.  I don't think they have ever had celery root.  Sigh.  The only other place I can think of would be the Asian Market and I don't think they would have that......

They may, but...

Maybe put some in your next garden planting!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

One local restaurant, about 1000 feet away, has gone belly-up already! SAD!!! :(

• Sad 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Life has just gotten much more interesting. Because of California's "non-essential people" stay home, my DW is at home rather than work. I'm retired and my income pays the mortgage and car insurance, my DW's covers groceries, utilities, and credit cards. Unless she goes back to work quickly, we'll have a major hole in our personal economy; next Friday will be her last paycheck. I went to my local supermarket (WinCo) this afternoon and bought some meat to add to what's in the freezer, and a few other things. I'd like to pick up some more pasta but the chances of that right now seem about as good as winning the lottery without buying a ticket. I was happy to note that seniors have exclusive access to the store from 6:00-7:00 a.m. For other reasons I have to go there tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see what's been put on the shelves overnight.

I'm going to need to inventory what all is in the freezers.

Today's meat:

2 1 lb packages of 85/15 ground beef.

3 1 lb chicken breasts

1 package of Johnsonville Original Brats re-packaged into 2 meals.

I had stocked up on corned beef (15 packages - total weight 55+ lbs) to cook and send to my guild at the Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire. That faire has been cancelled. Some may go to my daughter and her family. I have exactly one recipe that I use to cook the corned beef. It is my recipe. Corned beef slow-cooked in Guinness for 8 hours. Using some of them will force me to find other recipes.

Social distancing in the supermarket is a true crap shoot. Some people are taking it seriously, others don't seem to care about or believe in the risks.

ETA: It's just gotten even more interesting. My DW's been laid off effective COB Monday.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 11

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Nuts.com sells yeast and other staples. Their website says that due to volume, orders may be delayed 2-3 days. Right before this pandemic, I ordered some dried tomatoes (not in oil). Really nice taste and texture, but they recommend you store even unopened bags in the fridge. I.e., not really shelf-stable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MokaPot said:

Nuts.com sells yeast and other staples. Their website says that due to volume, orders may be delayed 2-3 days. Right before this pandemic, I ordered some dried tomatoes (not in oil). Really nice taste and texture, but they recommend you store even unopened bags in the fridge. I.e., not really shelf-stable.

"Sorry, this item is out of stock."

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What's worse, Zingerman's is sold out of pickled ramps.

Hey, here in Michigan we take our ramps seriously. Also grilled.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In the bedroom only two jars left of pickled ramps so I ordered a couple jars of pickled onions at a good price on amazon while I could get them.  I am a hoarder, yes.  Never thought I'd be a prepper.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If I needed yeast, which thankfully at the moment I do not, I'd pay the amazon scalpers' price.  Before things get worse.

I’d get a starter going even if it’s with the small amount of commercial yeast - feed that and make the Forkish type recipes with it 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

More celery than I've used in this century

I'm gonna make a nice celery soup (with a potato) with the outer ribs, and then do a classic Sardinian salad with the more tender inner ones!

Another classic Sardinian dish is celery hearts cut very thin on a mandoline with just a little olive oil and the thinly sliced bottarga on top. “That’s it!” he says. “It’s the best way to respect the bottarga.”

A few ideas...

https://gluttonforlife.com/download_recipe/250

https://food52.com/recipes/17602-celery-salad-with-soft-boiled-egg-and-shaved-bottarga

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The Celery Salad With Dates, Almonds and Parmigiano from Six Seasons is very good, as are all the celery recipes in that book. 

Every time I get a big head of celery, I think about trying this celery marmalade.  

I am very curious to see what it would taste like but apparently not curious enough to have actually made it 🙃

Perhaps now is the time. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

...the hardest part of which is the stringing of the celery...

Recently came upon a simple method.   After using a peeler to remove outside skin, I almost break the stalk in half, then pull the half stalks away from the center, leaving the strings behind.    Does this make sense?    It is much easier in the doing than the explaining.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I’d get a starter going even if it’s with the small amount of commercial yeast - feed that and make the Forkish type recipes with it 

But if you are not baking a lot does not a starter waste a lot of flour?

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Recently came upon a simple method.   After using a peeler to remove outside skin, I almost break the stalk in half, then pull the half stalks away from the center, leaving the strings behind.    Does this make sense?    It is much easier in the doing than the explaining.  

What I do, except for the peeling part.