• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

10 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

The only thing we’ve been unable to find is bakers yeast. 

We have an abundance of meat, particularly red meat and not a lot of canned soup, but a lot of stock as I consider it an easy pantry staple especially since I had oral surgery recently. 

I checked a couple of my usual online suppliers.  No yeast.  Amazon has yeast if you want to pay the price.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, dtremit said:

Have they suspended service, or do they just have no delivery slots?

If the latter -- a friend was able to secure a time by filling up his cart and just monitoring the checkout page until something opened up. Might work for you.

If you mean Amazon Fresh, they stopped operation in this area quite some time ago.  For Amazon Prime Now I've been doing what your friend is doing, so far no success.

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Try King Arthur Flour online. Buy 16 oz yeast and keep it in the freezer. Mine is over one year old and still raising bread. By the way, they offer a bundle which includes yeast, plastic storage container which will fit the entire contents, and a spoon (size of supermarket yeast packet).

Don't bother checking King Arthur Flour.  By the way, a much cheaper online source of yeast is Supermarket Italy...but they don't have yeast either.

If anyone would like, I can check my local supermarket (walking distance) for yeast or other items and ship it to you. You can reimburse me via PayPal.

ETA: Our nearest health food store has it on order.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Does fresh yeast make that much of a difference to fret over?

https://www.sfbi.com/fresh-yeast-vs-instant-yeast.html

This time I can't tell if you are being serious.  I assumed we were discussing instant yeast.  I've never seen fresh yeast for sale this century.  Though if your delivery is from Amazon Fresh I suppose that would be fresh yeast.

• Haha 2

Wonderful announcement!  Email just came from Astor Wines that in New York at least, wine and spirits merchants have been declared an essential business.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I admire your definition of "essentials", @blue_dolphin. May we come hunker down with you? xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

What I baked this am before leaving to house.

I don't have any photos, but I must admit that the urge to bake delicious desserts is very strong now that we are all pretty much restricted to our homes. 

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I admire your definition of "essentials", @blue_dolphin. May we come hunker down with you? xD

I know right? 😅

2 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I don't have any photos, but I must admit that the urge to bake delicious desserts is very strong now that we are all pretty much restricted to our homes. 

Me too except everything I want to make uses precious eggs.  I might have to settle for instant pudding lol.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This time I can't tell if you are being serious.  I assumed we were discussing instant yeast.  I've never seen fresh yeast for sale this century.  Though if your delivery is from Amazon Fresh I suppose that would be fresh yeast.

I was totally being serious about this stuff...

51WTYCxx-FL._PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_AA500SH20_.jpg

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I am really enjoying this thread.

It's in times like these you really rely on sources of comfort - and clearly for most of us - food is one of them.

Being able to see and hear everyone's ideas and creations is inspiring and certainly helps to reduce the pangs of social distancing.

🤗

• Like 6

Today,  a large King Arthur assorted flours delivery.  And this...

IMG_0313.thumb.JPG.7a3786ea8ac046ac4c7c8307712f49fa.JPG

With so much celery, I made Bar Goto's Kombu Celery, the hardest part of which is stringing the celery that needs it.

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.6fac82976e28f05f5e8548a0a2f511b7.JPG

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 11

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Today,  a large King Arthur assorted flours delivery.  And this...

IMG_0313.thumb.JPG.7a3786ea8ac046ac4c7c8307712f49fa.JPG

With so much celery, I made Bar Goto's Kombu Celery, the hardest part of which is stringing the celery that needs it.

IMG_0315.thumb.JPG.6fac82976e28f05f5e8548a0a2f511b7.JPG

Speaking of celery, I've been obsessed with wanting to try that celery root salad you made a while back.   Two weeks ago was my last trip to the big big city grocery store.  No celery root.  I don't think they have ever had celery root.  Sigh.  The only other place I can think of would be the Asian Market and I don't think they would have that......

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

What I baked this am before leaving to house.

I call this miracle bread. It’s a freaking miracle that she can find time to bake bread given her schedule which I am all-too-familiar with in the midst of this crisis. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Celery ?

why ?

O.K.  its nit GBP's

but ...................

I am with you on the green bell peppers. But I cut some slack for celery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Damn. I have everything the recipe calls for except the celery.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I am really enjoying this thread.

It's in times like these you really rely on sources of comfort - and clearly for most of us - food is one of them.

Being able to see and hear everyone's ideas and creations is inspiring and certainly helps to reduce the pangs of social distancing.

🤗

I'm with you on that! So now I'm going to solicit ideas and opinions for tonight's dinner. I have chunks of pork marinating for souvlaki. The marinade is essentially an oil and lemon mix with oregano, bay leaf, and a touch of garlic. I had intended to also cook cauliflower* by a recipe from the same Greek cookbook: boil it, then toss with an oil and lemon juice salad dressing.

Maybe that will work. Maybe it will be too bland, too much of all the same flavors. Another idea is to use one of my favorite cauliflower treatments: Spicy Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini. Those seasonings are turmeric, paprika, garlic, jalapeno, lemon, olive oil, tahini. I know the seasoning is good. My mind's tongue is not sure whether it will be compatible with the more simply seasoned souvlaki.

What say some of you? Is one of those a better match than the other? Do you have an alternate suggestion?

*I can already hear JoNorvelleWalker and other cauliflower haters saying "why?" :P 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

What say some of you? Is one of those a better match than the other? Do you have an alternate suggestion?

I have never found much that can improve simply roasted cauliflower except for one recipe whose flavours are incompatible with Souvlaki. So I say go with the souvlaki, some Tzatziki and plain roasted cauliflower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I have never found much that can improve simply roasted cauliflower except for one recipe whose flavours are incompatible with Souvlaki. So I say go with the souvlaki, some Tzatziki and plain roasted cauliflower.

Tzatziki! I'd forgotten all about that! Thanks, Anna.

• Like 1