• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Of course restaurants must have a tidy stock of toilet paper and if they are no longer serving in-house customers they shouldn’t need all of it. I think it’s a grand that they are making some of it available. I still don’t understand why we need it all but perhaps there something I’m missing.

Edited by Anna N
Typos and that darn duplication of everything I say when I’m dictating (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I  did a delivery today to one of my accounts and I arrived at the same time another distributor's truck arrived.  They had ordered 12 cases of TP and it was out of stock; and if the distributor did have any, it was  limiting purchases to one case per account.  So it's not just consumers having supply issues.

My next order with GFS (Gordon Food Service) is for Friday and I'm going to ask my rep tomorrow about their paper goods/janitorial supplies situation.

And to anticipate any questions - it's a private resort; the delivery is for client tastings that are 2 people only so the restrictions and limits in place don't affect this but all my other accounts have cancelled their orders for the end of this week and all of next week.  We are going to adopt the take out/curb side pick up model and the staff baked today so we can have cakes and desserts available for the weekend. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Hoarding begats hoarding.  

I'm buying allllllll the dog food.

Just kidding ;) 

I’ve been using chew.com for a long for home delivery of my dog’s food and treats.  Free (with minimum order) and scheduled delivery via FedEx.  Prices are quite good.

• Thanks 1

Curious, do you all feel it is safe/smart to be ordering food from a restaurant (pick-up, or even worse - IMO - delivery)?

@Shelby - If the proverbial sh!t hits the fan (more than it already has) and you cannot source dog food, all that meat from your husband's famous hunts is the best food source for any dog - raw!  I learned a lot about this over the last year as a client of mine (who has a couple Sheppards) is adamant about the practice and claims it is their genetically preferred/ideal food.

• Thanks 1

Amazon notified me they have only four limes in stock; and they deleted eggs from my order.  However there is still no delivery.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Curious, do you all feel it is safe/smart to be ordering food from a restaurant (pick-up, or even worse - IMO - delivery)?

I put my thoughts down about this a few pages back... I still feel that way...

I'm home and fresh out of a vat of bleach.

Holy crap you guys.  I've never seen anything like I saw today.

Showed up at the grocery store at 3 this afternoon like they emailed me to do.  I got the items that I ordered, some in smaller quantities. I ordered 2 whole chickens.  Got one.  Ordered 9 limes.  Got 3.  Ordered 50 lb bag of dog food.  Got 3 15 lb bags (super grateful).  Everything else was as ordered.  A V8 juice, 2 heads of lettuce, bag of baby spinach.  YAY I got the eggs.  2 cans of spinach.  1 package of fresh mushrooms.  2 cans of mushrooms ( I know but they are ok on pizza).

The curbside buying is not curbside at this smaller store.  You go in, try to find someone who knows anything about your order and then they try to find your cart.  Sigh.  Literally stood there for 10 mins. in the midst of chaos.  

The parking lot is huge at this store because it's in a little strip mall type place.  Every. Single. Spot. Was. Full.  Ronnie had to drive around and just keep an eye out for me.

People had 2 and 3 carts full of food trying to haul them all around.  Definitely had not heard about social spacing and the 6' rule.  Coughing.  Elderly people, bless them.  Kids.  Sigh.  More coughing.  

I had also called in 3 of Ronnie's prescriptions and was assured they would be done.  As luck would have it, we were out of refills.  Sigh.  After I got home nurse called and renewed without him having to go in and get checked....thank goodness.  But, I have to go back tomorrow :( .  Help me.  I firmly believe that if one is in the pharmacy line, YOU STAND BACK.  Even before this.  Guy behind me, I swear I could feel him breathing on me.

I was going to peek at the TP isle to see what was there.  I'd have had to had an army to even get close.

I cannot imagine bigger cities right now.  

Oh and we did stop at a small farm supply store--DOG FOOD.  I feel better.  No, I didn't buy it all :) They had a lot.  Eyed the baby chicks....wish I could keep them alive here for eggs.  Wouldn't work.

I've been thinking....smaller type stores like where I found our dog food might be the way to go.  Even craft stores sometimes sell odd items that you wouldn't think of.

Skipped the liquor store.  That's how exhausting this was.

Pouring wine now.

• Like 4
  • Sad 7

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm home and fresh out of a vat of bleach.

Pouring wine now.

Yeah, I can see that I’m gonna need a whole lot of wine to get thru this.

Fortunately I have everything I’m gonna need for the foreseeable future.

(I get wine deliveries regularly).

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Pouring wine now.

Wine? My cleaning lady has remarked about my couch scotch. I keep it beside me on the floor right beside the couch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've been thinking....smaller type stores like where I found our dog food might be the way to go.  Even craft stores sometimes sell odd items that you wouldn't think 

This is something I normally try to do, that is, support the smaller stores.  I am not a fan of the big chain stores, Costco excepted.  I find that staff,  often the owner, will get to know you and, e.g. recommend items you might like or  place special orders for you, including items they don't normally stock.  It 's worth the extra $ they may charge, but I have also received cheaper prices on bigger ticket items than the big stores charge.  I think especially in times like this, we should support smaller businesses, if we can.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

couch scotch

May have to start liking hard liquor more.

7 minutes ago, lindag said:

Yeah, I can see that I’m gonna need a whole lot of wine to get thru this.

Fortunately I have everything I’m gonna need for the foreseeable future.

(I get wine deliveries regularly).

Major jealous of the delivery.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

May have to start liking hard liquor more.

Major jealous of the delivery.

Plenty of rum here; no limes.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@Shelby I feel your pain... so sorry you had to go through that. I was hoping that people in less populated areas would be better than here... evidently that is NOT the case.  At the pharmacy, I recommend you channel your inner New Yorker and if someone is standing too close, you need to turn, look them in the eye and politely ask "hey, do you mind backing the eff up?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Shelby I feel your pain... so sorry you had to go through that. I was hoping that people in less populated areas would be better than here... evidently that is NOT the case.  At the pharmacy, I recommend you channel your inner New Yorker and if someone is standing too close, you need to turn, look them in the eye and politely ask "hey, do you mind backing the eff up?"

Oh, thank you.  I don't want to come off as whiney.  I'm just so not used to crowds.  And, yes, I need to up my New Yorker big time.  I'm pretty timid.  Maybe I should record you saying that and I could play it on my phone lol.

• Haha 13

51 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh, thank you.  I don't want to come off as whiney.  I'm just so not used to crowds.  And, yes, I need to up my New Yorker big time.  I'm pretty timid.  Maybe I should record you saying that and I could play it on my phone lol.

Yeah, but remember - New York isn’t an open carry state... yours is.  Sorta changes the dialogue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I put my thoughts down about this a few pages back... I still feel that way...

While I agree that prepared food delivery would be as safe as eating in an empty restaurant, the question is - why chance it, by allowing multiple variables (unknown to you) potentially contaminate your food (most likely, unknowingly).

The scary thing about COVID-19 is one can be asymptomatic while still having the virus and being a transmittable source to others.

• Like 3

The other day I took advantage of Walmart Grocery's curbside pickup discount on a first order.

$10 off a $50 order, promo code "WOWFRESH"

I placed a minimum order.

They were out of 3 products that I ordered, KA bread flour, butter, and something else that I've now forgot.

I still received the discount.

I didn't permit them to pick substitutions, I went in the store after they loaded the Jeep and picked my own.

• Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Wine? My cleaning lady has remarked about my couch scotch. I keep it beside me on the floor right beside the couch. 

Is that after the first couple 'o scotch's when you then find yourself on said floor - easy access, type of thing??

;)

:P

• Haha 7

Wegmans has grocery delivery via Instacart here but I don't see it as being an intelligent choice, in my case anyway, given that the store is just two miles away.

Instacart adds a 5% service charge and charges $5.99 for delivery.

Curbside pickup makes much more sense.

The housemate stopped at Wegmans yesterday to pick-up two of my prescriptions.

He passed on the deal because he said 9 folks were bunched-up in a line.

I'll try tomorrow, I'm not afraid to swear them straight!!! xD

• Haha 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

40 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

Yeah, but remember - New York isn’t an open carry state... yours is.  Sorta changes the dialogue.

I can only think of one of my youngest daughter's boyfriends, when she was in her "thug" phase:

Cue earnest voice (I liked the kid, and he liked me).

"Miss Kay, don't carry no gun. Carry a knife. Cause people will see an old white lady with a knife, and they'll think, 'That woman's crazy,' and they won't bother you."

Once I got past the "old white lady" label, I was pretty good with the rest of it.

Think about a knife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

45 minutes ago, TicTac said:

The scary thing about COVID-19 is one can be asymptomatic while still having the virus and being a transmittable source to others.

I read a post today which said (paraphrased):
Stop behaving as though you're trying to avoid getting the virus. Start behaving as though you already have it, and you're trying to avoid contaminating others.

I actually find this much easier to do!

• Like 5