• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Oh yes, Helms Bakery trucks.  You had a placard with a big letter H on it that put  you in the window to let the driver know you wanted him to stop.

There's still one of those Helms trucks on display at the old Helms bakery which became the Antique Guild and is now a furniture/design showroom.  We also had bread delivery in upstate NY,  but it was Freihofer’s.  Same deal with the sign in the window so the driver knew to stop.  The company started out delivering from horse-drawn wagons and when I was quite small, they still used them to deliver to my grandmother's house in Troy.  If I recall, they only brought the old horse-drawn wagon around on Saturdays at that time and I remember it being called out as something special to see.  My mother never wanted us to be around when the Freihofer man came by because he always had all sorts of treats that we would clamor for but that we couldn't afford, aside from the occasional box of their chocolate chip cookies, which my brothers adored!

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What I can't find at any normal price is Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt.

Seems to often be subject to panic buying.  The manager at my local Smart & Final said they'd stopped carrying it for that reason - too hard to keep in stock.  I last ordered a pack of 3 - 3lb boxes for $14 which I thought was highway robbery. Currently a little more than twice that price. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Who remembers milk boxes? The little boxes that were built into any house where the milkman could open the outside door and place the milk in it and then from the inside the homeowner could retrieve the milk.

We did not have one but a neighbor a couple years ago remodeled her house and insisted the contractor leave it intact as she was so taken with it. Reminds me of the back door of the fireplace. My grown sister did not know that it had been there all the time to clean out the ashes without making a mess in the house. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

We didn't have a milk box or  milk man. We had a local drive-through dairy and a wire "basket" carrier for the glass bottles. You drive up, give the attendant your empty bottles and get filled bottles in return.

Oh we had that dairy service at grandma's. Wind the back window down and be the superstar who got the bottles. There were local dairies as well. One down the street from my first grown-up house left the adorable building in tact. I always wanted to buy it and remodel as a home like some do with deconsecrated churches. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:48 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Fortunately, if it got to that point here, I'm ok with evaporated milk. We always had regular milk in the house growing up but we also always had cans of evap in the house because it was cheap. Me and my 4 brothers and sisters grew up on hot cereals for breakfast and apparently it was cheaper to have us use evap on our hot cereal than the regular milk. So it's what I was used to and I still like it so I could get by on it if I had to. I don't love it as a beverage but I don't drink a lot of milk anyway and, diluted with water, I'd rather drink it than the powdered stuff I've had.

I love evaporated milk...when I was new, back in the days before baby formula, mama raised me on evap milk... She still to this day occasionally tells me I was a Pet Milk Baby! 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

I would guess that the memories of milk boxes, bread delivery, ice delivery, etc, would depend first of all on how old you are.  I'm almost 80 and we did have all those.  Oh and coal delivery.  Horses peeing on the streets on the ice...always a treat for a youngster.  

And as for free delivery of goods...or even delivery itself...it ain't gonna happen if you live out in the country in the middle of nowhere.  Ed is going into the city today to pick up two supplements our male Rottie, Carson, has to have.  I'll phone ahead of time and hope they will put them aside for us...if they have them in stock.   The store just announced by email that 9:30 to 10:30 is for seniors only.  Too late for today alas.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

No milk box, but we did have dairy delivery.   You had a usual order and requested extraordinary product by stuffing a note in an empty bottle.   In winter, you would occasionally find over an inch or so of frozen cream extending from the top of the bottle.   Yes, cream since this was before homogenization.   

We also had a chicken and rabbit lady who came into town every week or so with fresh product.   As I marginally remember, rabbits were dressed but chickens needed to be drawn.   Maybe not.   I do remember with some angst my mother insisting that I learn how to draw a chicken.   I wasn't amused,   She said it was  necessary should I marry someone who hunted.    I told her that I would ask any guy first if he liked to hunt.    Always the pragmatist. 

When we lived in Eau Claire WI in the mid-fifties we had milk delivery; we also had a bread-man who would deliver bread a time or two per week; we also had a coal man who delivered the coal via a chute into the basement.  My how times have changed.

• Like 1

I made a lovely pineapple upside-down cake on Monday; a nod to the past when it was my most favorite dessert (along with Mom's banana pudding).  It exhausted my supply of both white and brown sugars.  

Should have taken a photo, it's quite beautiful (and delicious).

• Like 2

I somehow think that my mention of milk boxes has been subsumed by other ideas that don’t take into account how very useful this old fashioned idea could be at this time of pandemic. So I’m just going to post this link to stress that many things could be safely delivered to vulnerable people if only these things still existed. I sure wish I had one. 

Click

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh we had that dairy service at grandma's. Wind the back window down and be the superstar who got the bottles. There were local dairies as well. One down the street from my first grown-up house left the adorable building in tact. I always wanted to buy it and remodel as a home like some do with deconsecrated churches. 

I have a Carnation milk box that sat on my porch in Canoga Park under the roof so it was in the shade.  It was roomy enough for a couple of gallon jugs and some smaller bottles or cartons.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I somehow think that my mention of milk boxes has been subsumed by other ideas that don’t take into account how very useful this old fashioned idea could be at this time of pandemic. So I’m just going to post this link to stress that many things could be safely delivered to vulnerable people if only these things still existed. I sure wish I had one. 

Click

We may have arrived at a point where it makes sense to revive this concept. Pandemic or no pandemic, delivery services are now so commonplace that there's a case to be made.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well, this mornings job was to find dog food.  Who knew all dog food would sell out.  Sigh.  I had some on order from Amazon.  I was relived yesterday when I got notification that it had shipped.  Sometime in the middle of the night I got another email saying the packaging had been damaged and they were not sending it.  Not sure I believe that but ok.

Ronnie is in the high risk category.  Even if we wasn't we decided to for sure do our part and hunker down.  

Grocery delivery is not an option where we live.

I tried all morning to make an online account with Dillon's so I could order groceries (including dog food) to be picked up curbside.  The website is over whelmed and I couldn't make an account. 

Plan C.   I made an account at a smaller store in a different town and ordered curbside pick up.  I doubt they will have all of the things I ordered--because they say they have my dog food, I also ordered some lettuce etc. , but I did get a confirmation just now that I could pick my order up at 3 this afternoon.

I have a friend --my cleaning angel and also she supplies me with eggs.  We trade--I give her garden goodies and stuff Ronnie has gotten.  Her chickens stopped laying a while back.  Her mom went out a couple days ago to find eggs at the store.  She went to like 5 different stores.  No eggs.  

Called the liquor store.  They have some of my wine.  So will stop there and then attempt to pick up my grocery order.  

Times are very strange right now.

Edited to say I ordered 2 cartons of eggs.  If I get any I'll drop them off for my cleaning angel.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I hope you're right.  I really really hope the store really has some today.   Or my doggies will be eating canned dog food and I will be cleaning up poo lol.

Your comment made me think of the raw diet I fed my dogs. Much smaller stools!

https://drianbillinghurst.com/

• Like 2

fine advice 

but

@Okanagancook

everybody is hording

if they can 

everywhere 

Im hopeful 

that the Industries 

and move the Shelf Stable 

to your Shelf