• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My favorite California rice is $31 a bag.  Last time I ordered it was $17.99.

A Calrose? I did stock up before this mess 

• Like 1

I wish I understood the risks of Take-Out ( pick up yourself , carefully .   one less contact in the ' stream ' )

but I dont.    I hope its reasonably safe , factoring your age,  and general good health.

Id very much like to help[ a local restaurant , more than i might usually

simply because I can.

there are no emojis that cover this problem.

if you see anything about carry out that is

competent and scientifically rigorous 

pls consider posting here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found this :

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-how-get-food-safely/608008/

if you've used up your free issues 

consider ' cookies '    ie your web browser etc

Im very impressed w The Atlantic coverage and articles 

they seem to be very well written   they might not way what you like

but so be it.

I have the means , so Im subscribing .

• Like 2

I don't have data to back this up, but from what I see, I think prepared food delivery would be as safe or safer than eating in an empty restaurant.  The same kitchen workers are preparing the food - who, supposedly, have been trained in food safety.  But rather than the food being put on an uncovered plate and delivered to your table by a server, it is put into a covered container and put into a bag which is brought by the delivery person.  In NYC, they are recommending contact-less delivery, meaning that the delivery person leaves the food at your door and leaves before you open the door.  Once you bring the bag into the house, you can handle it in a way that any germs on the outside of the bag don't contact any surfaces in your home and dispose of the bag.  The containers as well as the contents within should be clean - or as clean (or cleaner since you have one less person breathing on it) as teh food would have been if dining in the restaurant itself.

But in any case, there are always risks to eating food you haven't prepared yourself.  Everyone needs to take the precautions they need in order to feel safe.  Personally, I'm avoiding eating any prepared food that is uncooked at this time.  While the kitchen staff is supposed to wear gloves while handling food that won't be cooked, that doesn't always happen in a busy restaurant, and unless you watch them don a brand new pair of gloves just prior to prepping your order, you have no idea if those gloves have been contaminated by a cough, etc.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Absolutely.  We get ours at T&T Supermarket.

Thank you.  We have a T & T here so I have made a note of it.  I will check it out next time i go there.

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

But in any case, there are always risks to eating food you haven't prepared yourself.

Trust me, the risk is greater if you try to eat what I'm able to prepare. 🤢

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

I wish I understood the risks of Take-Out ( pick up yourself , carefully .   one less contact in the ' stream ' )

but I dont.    I hope its reasonably safe , factoring your age,  and general good health.

fda.gov

Food and Covid-19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 3/14/2020 at 8:28 AM, Shelby said:

Apparently Nathan's Hot Dogs aren't popular lol

Well, if those stores are anything like my local Walmart Grocery store, Nathan's are quite a bit more expensive. It's no wonder they're still sitting on the shelf. I guess even hoarders like to save money.. :B

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

9 hours ago, heidih said:

A Calrose? I did stock up before this mess 

Tamaki Gold.  Now it's not even in stock on amazon.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We're making lasagna today so we'll have leftovers for days. Shopping is a challenge. I made a huge batch of BBQ chicken wings over the weekend because that was the only part of the chicken left at the grocery store. If people would stop freaking out and just buy normally, everything would be, well, normal at the store.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, KennethT said:

I don't have data to back this up, but from what I see, I think prepared food delivery would be as safe or safer than eating in an empty restaurant.  The same kitchen workers are preparing the food - who, supposedly, have been trained in food safety.  But rather than the food being put on an uncovered plate and delivered to your table by a server, it is put into a covered container and put into a bag which is brought by the delivery person.  In NYC, they are recommending contact-less delivery, meaning that the delivery person leaves the food at your door and leaves before you open the door.  Once you bring the bag into the house, you can handle it in a way that any germs on the outside of the bag don't contact any surfaces in your home and dispose of the bag.  The containers as well as the contents within should be clean - or as clean (or cleaner since you have one less person breathing on it) as teh food would have been if dining in the restaurant itself.

But in any case, there are always risks to eating food you haven't prepared yourself.  Everyone needs to take the precautions they need in order to feel safe.  Personally, I'm avoiding eating any prepared food that is uncooked at this time.  While the kitchen staff is supposed to wear gloves while handling food that won't be cooked, that doesn't always happen in a busy restaurant, and unless you watch them don a brand new pair of gloves just prior to prepping your order, you have no idea if those gloves have been contaminated by a cough, etc.

I hope they have a way to include the delivery tip when you call in your order. Not that that is an issue in sane countries. Personally I think take-out is an appropriate risk-benefit balance. But then, I still go out for my coffee in the morning.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Sorry, I can't get excited about delivery, take-out or the like.

Strangers, who are potential carriers, coughing on or sneezing on and handling food and packaging — no thank you!!!

I'll prepare my own grub!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

I hope they have a way to include the delivery tip when you call in your order. Not that that is an issue in sane countries. Personally I think take-out is an appropriate risk-benefit balance. But then, I still go out for my coffee in the morning.

Ordering is typically done online, and yes, you can specify whatever you want for tips for the delivery guy.

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Ordering is typically done online, and yes, you can specify whatever you want for tips for the delivery guy.

And really though not authorized you can slip them cash. To make it ok "thanks for bringing the piece of mail I so accidentally left by the door".  That has been going on forever.

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

Amazon allows you specify a tip amount at the time you place your order.  You have up to 24 hours to change the tip amount.  The bags are left on the doorstep.  Alexa will tell you your order has been delivered.  There is no interaction with the driver.  Or the driver with you.

Speaking as a library technician who often has to collect fines and make change, I'd rather starve than accept currency.  Though if someone wanted to slip me a G note I might make an exception.  And then wash my hands.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Sorry, I can't get excited about delivery, take-out or the like.

Strangers, who are potential carriers, coughing on or sneezing on and handling food and packaging — no thank you!!!

I'll prepare my own grub!

As long as you like beans.

• Haha 2

some of my back-orders from target are still trickling in

Im hoping that these are from a re-supply line.

they have sugar , same day delivery or the next day.  

w a 25 $ order.

its still  $ 1.89  for a 4 lbs bag

Amazon has Domino Sugar , 4 lbs  for $ 24.99   , from one seller

or 2 4lbs bags , $ 29.99   from one seller

so much for Amazon's Algorithm 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I tried this last PM :

DSC08052.thumb.jpg.ec974343b8aaa73d017b199df9a5daaf.jpg

its what you would expect   , and not too salty    It will get the job done

ill add some diced crispy desalted bacon ends from time to time

maybe a pinch of Penzeys this and Penzeys  that from time to time

P.S.:  MC was very interested in this .  he did not get any

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

P.S.:  MC was very interested in this .  he did not get any

I think you are misinterpreting MC. He was very interested in why on earth you were eating that stuff. I think he and I have much in common. 😂

• Haha 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog