• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the time of a pandemic

On 3/9/2020 at 2:19 PM, Porthos said:

Living in southern California we have to be prepared for life-disrupting earthquakes. We have a store of food laid in for that, along with water. There's TP in those supplies as well. We buy Scott bathroom tissue by the 36-roll pack so running out of TP is not really a concern; I just bought more because we were running low, nothing to do with the pandemic.

Running out of ice cream, however, would make me whiny.

Even though I have quit both renaissance faires I had been part of, my wife and daughter are still active in the guild kitchen and I have started acquiring a few foodstuffs that can go in the freezer. It will be interesting to see if the covid-19 issue causes cancellation of the faire by the  health authorities. Hoping not.

I can make ice cream and I have a good supply of dried heavy cream, full cream milk powder, premium powdered eggs, lots of premium cocoas that, with suitable flavors, and other additives, can be turned into very tasty ice cream even if I can't get fresh milk or cream, which right now are easily obtained.

My Lello gelato machine is always at the ready, after a 25 minute cool down, to start freezing ice creams, sherbets, ices &etc.

It's very difficult for me to shop for groceries now because I can't walk very far and I don't like using the scooters so I order online and use the free pickup service.  Or I order from Aldi and have it delivered if I don't feel well enough to drive.  Staples like flour I order from New York Bakers (in San Diego) as they carry the flours I like, and fresh yeast. 

Right now I have enough flours to bake breads and any other baked goods for at least a year...

I haven't done any shopping since the pandemic began driving people to stock up.  I need some fresh fruit and vegetables but expect those will be available but if not I have some canned peaches, pears and pineapple which can sub for fresh.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 8

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 3/9/2020 at 4:13 PM, Kim Shook said:

That's what we chose.  Mr. Kim has sense memories re: powdered milk from when he was a child.🙂

The powdered milk of today, the Premium, full-fat milk powder, is nothing like the stuff from just a couple of decades ago.

I use it in baking but when properly mixed with a blender and chilled, I can't really taste the difference between it and the "regular" milk from a supermarket.

(which doesn't taste like "farm fresh" milk either) and I am a "supertaster."  

The powdered heavy cream I keep on hand for some recipes, is also excellent. And performs better than fresh cream in some recipes.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have made it back from Little Rock without being quarantined. And with some Toulouse sausages, so even though it's warmed up, there's cassoulet in my future!

I did stop by Sam's on the way home to pick up a few things and discovered the toilet paper shelves were COMPLETELY empty. There was still some left on an end cap display so I snagged a 45-roll pack on general principles, although we have about three nine-roll packs still on hand, I think. Got Kleenex, too, since the damned allergies have me running through them.

I was pretty astounded by how crowded the store was. Looked like the Saturday before Christmas. Then I got home and learned we have our first case of coronavirus in the state.

Oh, well. I'll die, or I won't. 

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

Id like to correct a small error here :

https://www.target.com/p/traditional-pasta-sauce-66oz-market-pantry-153/-/A-53333291

its 66 oz !

im optimistic that Ill be around

when Corona is tamed

and hate pasta w red sauce 

it wont be as much as GBP's

but Ill be grateful that it ends up pretty close.

You can vary your tank of red sauce wit an occasional vodka sauce.   Add red pepper flakes, splash of vodka, heavy cream.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

@Margaret Pilgrim 

Ive never understood Vodka Sauce

yes its a bit lighter

and Ive had it in a restaurant or two

Id wonder why the vodka  [ def : neutral grain sprits ]

didn't just vaporize off

i have plenty to add to my 66 oz jug :

something from Penzey's ?

a splash of white or red Im drining ?

Im greatful  I do not need to Go Out

unless I want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

The powdered milk of today, the Premium, full-fat milk powder, is nothing like the stuff from just a couple of decades ago.

Hi @andiesenji -- Do you have any particular products that you could recommend? I would be interested in shelf-stable half 'n' half powder and/or shelf-stable whole (4%-ish) milk powder.

Thank you!

• Like 2

I went to Costco yesterday.  Like @kayb’ s comment, they had signs saying they were out of TP and paper towels.  But when I went back to the area they had one measly pallet of TP out.  Everyone that walked by grabbed a package.  I did too, even  though I feel like I already have enough.  Costco was much less crowded than usual.  Most people had cases of bottled water.  Everything  seemed pretty well stocked except the large bags of rice. They did have 3 packs of cans of San Mariano tomatos for $6.99.  I only bought two of those🙂

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Margaret Pilgrim 

Ive never understood Vodka Sauce

yes its a bit lighter

and Ive had it in a restaurant or two

Id wonder why the vodka  [ def : neutral grain sprits ]

didn't just vaporize off

i have plenty to add to my 66 oz jug :

something from Penzey's ?

a splash of white or red Im drining ?

Im greatful  I do not need to Go Out

unless I want to.

I've been told that the EtOH solubilizes lipid flavors in spices and then boils off leaving them behind. Not so sure I buy it. Wouldn't the oil in the pan do as much with out the added solvent?

all ive noted is the sauce

looks a bit pink.

Tj's has jared VS , and its a bit pink

as the VS Ive had in a restaurant or two

maybe what ever changed the color

subtly changed the taste in some way 

too subtle  for me

it can happen.  rare , but possible

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You can vary your tank of red sauce wit an occasional vodka sauce.   Add red pepper flakes, splash of vodka, heavy cream.

We sometimes throw a couple of splashes of red wine into jar spag sauce. There are lot's of ways to doctor it up. Add spinach, basil, lots more garlic, capers... If you are stuck inside, experimenting is a good way to combat boredom.

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

For your spaghetti sauce (from a jar), how about trying beer? A couple of years ago, I experimented with cooking with beers (lagers, Heineken and Corona). Had good results with chili, French onion soup, and, IIRC, even Japanese-type curry. The only beer that overpowered a dish was Guinness Dark.

• Like 2

I dont think they deliver beer.   I do have about 1 doz cans of Hoponius Union.

deliveries from Target are thinning out or being extended.

I dont mind .   Target sent an interesting and thoughtful email a fews days ago

it would not be appropriate to copy it here

but it mentioned  increased cleaning of the physical store throughout the day  and massive cleaning overnight

quatities might be limited , so that all patrons can be served.

I liked that later part.   I have a 2-day delivery today

im interested is what I get.   Im doing fine.

and extraordinarily lucky to have the Target ( or any home delivery service )  available to me

and I also thankful that I can afford it.

• Like 5

didn't mention how many jugs I have on order

and won't.

the jug stream is slowing , to serve other customers 

I dont mind at all.

there will be more at some point , and ill refresh my stash then.

and its USA Marinara .   sorry.

no way the Marinara plant will shut down any time soon

Target , in my area has two delivery options :

2 day , free w $35 order

and something called Shipt ,  hourly delivery   same day or net day.  you select

time blocks of an hour.   on-line it seemed to have suggested a signature req

but that does not seem to be required here.

its $ 99 / year.    first 4 week free.  in the past I dont require such fast delivery nor do I now

when I place an order , the target system selected ' 2 day ' or Shipt  by their own algorithm 

if they select Shipt  , I can not manually change it to 2 day, for some reason

I have two deliveries w Shipt.  delightful people each of the,

I asked why I couldn't just get 2-day by changing the selections before check out

they didn't know but would look into it.  I hardly need soup/pasta M 14.

some of the orders cannon be filled.  out of stock.  I dont mind.

I then go back and re-order what was missing.

some of the soup/pasta/ChefB   limits your quantities.

Ive discover that a case of soup is 12 cans   same for ChefB

if I pick that amount , it all seems to come vis UPS.  takes about a week

I don mind.

if I dont use what I have , based on my personal feeling of a potential Corona

time line , it all goes to my local pantry.  prices are 20 % more than  

a stores periodic sale price , and I know these prices as I use them

when I make donations to my local food pantry.

but , oddly , as much a dollar less than going into one of my local higher end 

family owned stores.   maybe 80 less than Stop&Shop

w the T;s RedCard  ( thank full its now a GreenCard w a pic of GBP's on in )

give an automatic 5 % off.   I love this because its exactly what extra stores have

added to everything to off-set MasterCard and Visa's fee.  by law

stores may not discount cash by 5 %.  but a store card can.

remember way back when , you possibly had a dozen or more Store cards in your

walle ?   I missed that,  the MC ( not The Cat ) and Visa took over.

I offer this information , and I dont work for Target

if you feel a personal need to use this service or any there for what ever reason you have.

I consider my self very lucky

• Like 3

@teonzo

Ive been thing about your Ideas

Im very fortunate to have visited 

Venice twice 

so long ago

before the various 

Floods.

Here is my New Idea :

Ive always thought 

where I live

I get fine Well Water in a pipe

into my house that does not freeze

something about depths 

I though about this some time ago:

Why not an extra ( several ) pipes for 

1) TJ's wine I like  table wine  of course not Shaws Benzene 

two pipes   Red ad White  

table wine only 

you know   , you  pull the various leavers 

and Have a glass !

now Im intrigued about about another 

pipe  :  red sauce !

just putting that out 

for non- consideration

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 4

A couple of people in my office went to the nearby supermarkets at lunch time (Shop Rite, 1/4 mile away...Wegmans, 1/2 mile away) and both said they were like zoos, similar to pre-blizzard shopping conditions. It is like everyone thinks they are going to be quarantined in their home for 2 weeks. I might buy some canned tuna and frozen or canned fruit just in case I can't (or don't want to) go shopping, but I believe I have enough pantry goods for my husband and I to eat for a month. I hope everyone donates to their local food pantry when they realize how much extra they have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I confess I went food shopping today.  Shoprite was a zoo.  Most shelves looked normal.  It was interesting what customers were stockpiling.  Most had paper goods.  One cart was overfull of canned beans, cooking oil, bottled water, and Diamond Crystal salt.  Myself, I stocked up on limes and peanuts.

I couldn't have carried it home even had it been in stock; however they were totally out of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent.  Any flavor.  The other detergent brands were pretty sparse.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

A couple of people in my office went to the nearby supermarkets at lunch time (Shop Rite, 1/4 mile away...Wegmans, 1/2 mile away) and both said they were like zoos, similar to pre-blizzard shopping conditions. It is like everyone thinks they are going to be quarantined in their home for 2 weeks. I might buy some canned tuna and frozen or canned fruit just in case I can't (or don't want to) go shopping, but I believe I have enough pantry goods for my husband and I to eat for a month. I hope everyone donates to their local food pantry when they realize how much extra they have.

Well - Ontario, Canada (and I believe most other provinces) just announced that they are closing all schools for 2 additional weeks after the March break - head government Dr's, while not quarantining people to their homes, are suggesting people do not attend large public spaces where people gather.

Luckily, the madness that has ensued down south has not spread to such an extent here - I saw toilet paper at the Chinese supermarket today - 12 rolls for $8.  Will trade for TJ's products ;)

• Like 1